Instead of highest job, have each job add to expectations

Currently, a duplicant's job morale needs are based on the highest tier of a job that they have started. This means that a duplicant can complete all jobs at that same tier and lower without increasing their needs.

I propose that each job started add to the duplicant's morale needs. This would place more importance on specializing in a job branch. It makes sense that an artist could not also become a scientist without an increase in expectation.

The morale requirements for each tier would need to be changed to make this work:

Spoiler

CMR = Current Morale Requirement
Delta = Current Tier - Previous Tier
NMR = New Morale Requirement

Tier  CMR  Delta  NMR
 0        1        1        1
 1        2        1        1
 2        4        2        3
 3        8        4        6
 4        12      4        8
 5        16      4        8
 6        20      4        8
 7        25      5        0*
 8        30      5        0*

* - Space Cadet and Astronaut cannot require additional morale as they already require additional jobs.

Examples:

Spoiler

Farmhand         +3
Unemployed      +1
Total expectation 4

Courier             +6
Gofer                 +1
Unemployed      +1
Total expectation 8

Senior Architect +8
Architect               +6
Appren Achritect  +1
Unemployed         +1
Total expectation  16

Mechatronics Eng +8
Courier                    +6
General Engineer    +3
Gofer                       +1
Unemployed            +1
Total expectation     19 (just a bit higher than current 16)

Astronaut              +0*
Space Cadet          +0*
Exosuit Engineer    +8
Tenured Scientist    +8
Scientist                  +8
Courier                    +6
Research Assistant +3
Gofer                       +1
Unemployed            +1
Total expectation     35 (a good bit higher than current 25, but still reasonable)

Farmer & Rancher
Farmer                    +8
Rancher                  +8
Farmhand               +3
Unemployed           +1
Total expectation    20

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fe16750f38c26495535e2ca3a3bed88a.png

I'm concerned that it would be extremely easy to get dupes to be impossible to keep happy.  What if I mastered every job?  Or what if you want everyone to be an exosuit engineer (a reasonable training path).  Then my space miner would have a morale requirement of 16+35=51, which is unreasonably large.  I do think a growing morale requirement with more masteries would make sense, but this is too extreme.

1 hour ago, Zarquan said:

I'm concerned that it would be extremely easy to get dupes to be impossible to keep happy.  What if I mastered every job?  Or what if you want everyone to be an exosuit engineer (a reasonable training path).  Then my space miner would have a morale requirement of 16+35=51, which is unreasonably large.  I do think a growing morale requirement with more masteries would make sense, but this is too extreme.

Correct, this would specifically prevent a duplicant from mastering every single job, and require a duplicant to master only one or two areas. Other duplicants would have to be trained to cover other job branches. Players would have to be more careful and plan out a duplicant's future.

An exosuit engineer would have an expectation of 16 versus the existing expectation of 20, so a slight discount there. But you are correct, if you wanted an exosuit engineer that was also a tenured scientist, that would be a higher morale requirement.

If you wanted to have a duplicant trained as a seasoned miner and astronaut, then, yes, you would have a high morale requirement:

Astronaut and Seasoned Miner
Astronaut                +0*
Space Cadet          +0*
Exosuit Engineer    +8
Tenured Scientist    +8
Scientist                  +8
Courier                    +6
Research Assistant +3
Gofer                       +1
Seasoned Miner     +8
Miner                      +6
Apprentice Miner    +1
Unemployed            +1
Total expectation     50

The point of this suggestion is to change to something that is cumulative for all jobs, not just the highest tier job.

Thanks for your feedback though, all good points.

So it`s a nerf to cross training. Forcing you to have dupes specialized instead of mastering job after job after a while. I`m not sure how i feel about it.

On one hand it makes sense on the other it limits dupe`s progression. Also keeping track of the expectations might be a pain.

One other thing. If cadet and astronaut don`t have extra requirements it means the expectation of a cadet and astronaut is the same as a tenured scientist + exosuit engineer. This means advncing him higher doesn`t require anything more. I`m not sure if i like it. Or if i understood it properly.

I agree, it does feel a little weird to be able to learn things entirely for free after a certain point. But to compensate we need to buff Jobs as a whole first, and make them give more meaningful traits. To make it a better "Build your own Dupe" system, plus it revitalizes Morale to require more than 25(right?), more difficulty.

I think that a duplicant that is trained in every single form of work by basically carrying their colony on their shoulders, should have more expectactions than one that simply is an Exosuit Engineer.

There should be more miscellaneous jobs that give neat traits, like "Negotiator" which does that Pleasant Chitchat and Met a Friend lasts much longer. Or "Miner/Architect Leader" which gives a percentage boost in mining/building to all those around them. Or perhaps Diver which increases their lung capacity?

Archived