Do rock lobsters reproduce in DST?

Hi. The title said it all, I'm wondering if rock lobsters reproduce in DST? So far I don't see their number increase. I observed their number with a few herds: 2 wild herds and 1 herd I brought near the base (with the slow-walk method, so they behave like at home). I waited for a year or two, but I don't see them reproduce at all.

Does this happen to everyone, or is it because of some unwanted effect from my mods? If it applies to everyone, is it an intended feature of the game or a bug?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

They repopulate ( 12 lobsters in one herd, one dies, they all appear in 4 days ) if you keep them in one herd, take one lobster from the herd, walk with it slowly and new lobsters should spawn near the one in 4 days.

Thanks for the quick answer. I brought 1 herd of 6 lobsters to near my base and encircled them in stone wall. I believe they are one herd because they were living together in the wild when I first met them, and so I took the whole herd to my place. In my base, they walk randomly just like in the wild, but they don't reproduce. What did I do wrong here?

Yes. They reproduce A LOT. Once I brought one lobster to the surface, I left it wandering off for a few days, came back to the area, and there were like 16 of them. I had to contain that breach, because they were eating every rock they could find.

I never made the same mistake again.

38 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

Yes. They reproduce A LOT. Once I brought one lobster to the surface, I left it wandering off for a few days, came back to the area, and there were like 16 of them. I had to contain that breach, because they were eating every rock they could find.

How did you bring them to the surface in DST?

51 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

No, I'm talking about Don't Starve Together. You can't bring them to the surface - unless you have some kind of mods allowing you to. I don't know of any.

Update: I tried walking one lobster away from the herd like IvoCZE recommended. After the friendship runs out, it tries to come back to the herd, so I blocked it with some walls. After about 10 days, still no sign of reproduction - both at that single one and the rest of the herd.
I also checked again the number of lobster herds still in the wild, and found they remain the same since the start of the game.

I'm really puzzled by this.

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

How did you bring them to the surface in DST?

Sorry, I probably did that in the older game. Sorry for the confusion though.

I really like the feature being removed. I never tried doing it again so I still have the experience of 4 years ago. Thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, darklordnd said:

Update: I tried walking one lobster away from the herd like IvoCZE recommended. After the friendship runs out, it tries to come back to the herd, so I blocked it with some walls. After about 10 days, still no sign of reproduction - both at that single one and the rest of the herd.
I also checked again the number of lobster herds still in the wild, and found they remain the same since the start of the game.

I'm really puzzled by this.

this is really puzzling...

Beefalos create new herds when a beef undomesticates...

but lobsters... heck idk what to say.

In my experience, they do not exactly reproduce, but repopulate.

If some of them die the exact number of killed rock lobsters will be born (little ones who eventually grow to adulthood) near other beards.

This seams to be the only way to "move a heard" of rock lobsters, because the new ones will roam the area where they spawn.

On 2/26/2019 at 5:09 PM, UnknowX said:

This seams to be the only way to "move a heard" of rock lobsters, because the new ones will roam the area where they spawn.

Not really the only way to move them. I always relocate them to near my base by feeding them flints and slowly walk them to the desired place. If they never teleport (i.e. I don't walk too far from them), they will treat the new place as their home. I just have to make sure I bring a whole herd.

Archived