The most basic automated kill chamber

I know most of you already know how to make this, but as a discussion in the update thread showed, not all of you do.

So for those just getting their ONI feet grimy, here's the most basic kill chamber to make (the auto-sweeper is completely optional):

image.thumb.png.06f8ebf2e72e2d77d3dbc42fec4ca030.png

image.thumb.png.11536451c1969e8c0b2d673118ae5f7e.png

The Critter Sensor is set to 0, so it turns on whenever there's a critter. This turns off the not gate, closing the bottom door, and triggering the middle-bottom buffer gate (set to the default of 5 seconds). 5 seconds later (roughly) the second door closes, and the middle-top buffer gate triggers. 5 seconds later the third door closes, and the top buffer gate triggers. 5 seconds later, the top door closes fully flooding the room.

Ground critters can be drowned with just the first door, but all four are required for flying or wall-climbing creatures.

(N.B. Flying critters don't show they're drowning.)

2 minutes ago, Christophlette said:

I'm not on my computer right now and I don't know if you know the answer but : can you put a critter drop-off on a door? And can it work like that? 

You can, but it'd over-complicate the system, as you'd have to open that door too.

Definitely a nice kill chamber for critters that are already hatched. 

I find it's even easier (though a bit more high tech) to use an auto sweeper controlled by a critter sensor to drop eggs through a closed pneumatic door into a single tile of water and just let the baby critter drown immediately upon hatching.

Best part? Works on all critters, including Shov Voles if you build the doors and surrounding tiles with steel. 

Worst part? You have to wait for the eggs to hatch naturally so it takes 20+ cycles to start feeding your base. 

Archived