Jump to content

Exosuits out of any metal ore


Recommended Posts

I was playing and noticed that I had run completely out of copper ore on my map.  This is before space, so I can't just fly away to get some and the printing pod  gives copper so rarely (not that I want the printing pod to start spewing copper).  This completely stopped me from making more exosuits, meaning I can't have as many secure areas as I wanted.  Yet i am sitting on over 60 tons of iron ore (and that's just what I've bothered to dig up).  I would like to be able to make exosuits out of iron or gold or any metal ore.  Even steel for ultimate non-space sustainability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It`s easy. Your copper ore isn`t gone. It`s in the wires, the pneumatic doors, the fire poles, the mesh and airflow tiles. Deconstruct those things and rebuild them with iron ore.

Yes it`s annoying but it will grant you enough copper for your exosuit needs.

I`m not against using different resources for atmo suits. It should use refined metal as well imo. The current recipie dates from pre automation upgrade. Probably should be changed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gwido said:

This will mean one recipe for each different metal ore. :(

If you already have at least one exosuit, you should just use one for the rocket to get more copper ore. ;)

What's wrong with multiple recipes?

Pre space.  I'm a few hundred cycles from that.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

It`s easy. Your copper ore isn`t gone. It`s in the wires, the pneumatic doors, the fire poles, the mesh and airflow tiles. Deconstruct those things and rebuild them with iron ore.

Yes it`s annoying but it will grant you enough copper for your exosuit needs.

I`m not against using different resources for atmo suits. It should use refined metal as well imo. The current recipie dates from pre automation upgrade. Probably should be changed.

My map had very little copper.  I only built a few wires and mess tables before I got iron and I already replaced them.  But is there a good reason we can't make them out of iron other than legacy?  The annoyance of replacing stuff should be enough to justify adding it unless they want the number of exosuits to be limited.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zarquan said:

What's wrong with multiple recipes?

Currently, there's 5 different metal ores in the game, which means 5 distinct recipes in the exosuit forge, each for a distinct object because a copper exosuit will be a different object than an iron exosuit.

So 5 different recipes, + 5 distinct exosuits.

 

And if we go this way for the exosuit ... the same should be applied to the jetsuit. And for every future suit that could be add to the forge.

The recipes in the forge would be unreadable. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Gwido said:

Currently, there's 5 different metal ores in the game, which means 5 distinct recipes in the exosuit forge, each for a distinct object because a copper exosuit will be a different object than an iron exosuit.

So 5 different recipes, + 5 distinct exosuits.

 

And if we go this way for the exosuit ... the same should be applied to the jetsuit. And for every future suit that could be add to the forge.

The recipes in the forge would be unreadable. :(

I can very easily read the granulator recipes.  I don't have a problem with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Zarquan said:

My map had very little copper.  I only built a few wires and mess tables before I got iron and I already replaced them.

A suit is only 300kg copper ore. You surely had more of it spawn on the map. Just a handful of tiles should be enough for 10 exosuits. I don`t know where is your copper ore but unless you changed it into refined copper it should be somewhere. Mesh and airflow tiles usually take a lot of it, check if you didn`t build them out of copper ore by accident.

Tbh i don`t see a reason copper ore is required for atmo suits and can`t be replaced. It just forces us to preserve as much copper ore as possible for eventual suits. I think a recipie using a "metal ore" instead of a certain element should be possible without making 5 of them. I`m sure the devs can make it work like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Tbh i don`t see a reason copper ore is required for atmo suits and can`t be replaced. It just forces us to preserve as much copper ore as possible for eventual suits. I think a recipie using a "metal ore" instead of a certain element should be possible without making 5 of them. I`m sure the devs can make it work like that.

We would want 4 or 5 recipes.  I don't want them making exosuits out of gold amalgam or wolframite, so we need to be able to choose.

 

I need far more than 10 exosuits.  I pressurized a column from the top of the map to the bottom with oxygen so my people can travel without exosuits constantly.  And far more than 10 duplicants who want to be able to do jobs in these places.

I think at one point I accidentally refined 100 kg of copper, (because I suddenly had 50 kg copper when I was using the rock granulator), but that's it.

However, I did find some random buildings around my base that were made out of copper that shouldn't have been, so I can build more exosuits.  I say shouldn't have been made out of copper because I had plenty of iron at the time.  That should supply me with enough copper for around 10 more suits.  But I want more so I can have more workers on projects in dangerous areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

Make more areas safe to be suitless?

I only really have like 3 not-safe areas (space, oil, and my water reservoir), but I have a lot of dupes that I want to be able to access these areas.  But this point isn't really relevant, as I can not think of a single convincing reason why we shouldn't be able to make exosuits out of iron ore or other ores.  It's just juggling around otherwise functionally identical materials.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I only really have like 3 not-safe areas (space, oil, and my water reservoir), but I have a lot of dupes that I want to be able to access these areas.  But this point isn't really relevant, as I can not think of a single convincing reason why we shouldn't be able to make exosuits out of iron ore or other ores.  It's just juggling around otherwise functionally identical materials.

Oh no, I agree. Was just suggesting work-arounds.

 

Still trying to cool my oil biomes. I swear they have a background temperature they want to default to that I'm constantly fighting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...