Offgasing should be prevented in storages

Hey All,

A storage means that its a closed container.

Currently solid storages off-gases PO2 if there's slime or polluted dirt in it. The main point of keeping it in a storage should be that it should be stored safely.

Water storages go as far as to isolate the water temperature even. While this shouldn't be the case, i guess its isolated since water absorbs and releases enormous heat.

What should be done for all storages is to prevent off-gasing and germ killing (liquid storages immersed in chlorine gas kills germs in the stored liquid).

We can have a huge disinfection building to kill germs. It should be a chore as well - to move materials having germs into it for disinfection - should require bleach stone for operation. When the materials are ejected from the building, it should be free of germs.

Dupes should automatically move materials having lots of germs in it into the building for disinfection. Maybe we can have a look at this @Ipsquiggle

Currently we don't have any type of handling for removing germs, except for the ore scrubber - but that's for ores only i guess. Maybe we can repurpose it? I doubt anybody uses the building anymore!

2 hours ago, ArunPrasath said:

Currently we don't have any type of handling for removing germs, except for the ore scrubber - but that's for ores only i guess.

It works for all materials. I`m pretty sure you can use it for food as well. The problem is it doesn`t remove all germs from slime so for that you need 2 in a row.

Would be nice if the dupes automatically cleaned contaminated stuff above a certain germ threshold.

I suppose this goes without saying, if they isolate the storage compactors like that, then Ice will never melt or if it does, a bottle of water will pop out _ I don't want them messing with off gassing - I already know how to handle it, since it does. The storage container isn't meant to handle non solids, that's all there is to it. If it gets a gas in it, I don't want it creating bottles of anything and then having those show up in compactor listing.

An archived post of mine - there was discussion on the functionality of the ore scrubbers back when they were first introduced.

Off gassing is an externality, melting is an externality, germs on ores and substances are an externality - cause and effect - dealing with those things is what the game is all about.

Perhaps they could add a new type of "insulated" storage which would, in addition to reducing heat exchange, prevent offgassing. To make it not just the de facto default storage, it could be significantly more expensive and store less material.

Archived