Looking for strats to surivive the first year

Hello ! I'm pretty bad at dst and i'm looking for strats to survive my first year as wickerbottom !

Here is my current strat

"Explore day 1-10

Build base day 10-13

Build pig farm day 13-19

Gather ressources and make Grass, Twig, Logs and Berry bushes farm day 19-24

Kill mctusk day 25

Kill deerclops day 26

Build drying racks day 27

Build a bird cage and imprison a bird day 28

Build lightning rods day 29

Build spider farm day 29-32

Explore the caves day 32-40

Build bunnymen farm day 40-44

Kill meese geese day 44-46

Kill clockworks and build flingos day 46-50

Create good armor and weapons day 50

Clear the caves day 51-60

Build quick cave base day 60-63

Give beach toy if possible and kill the Antlion 63

Go back to the caves and complete the cave base day 64-70"

I'm a noob so yea dont hate i'm just looking to improve !

Have a good day!

hi, 

no worries we all started out as just the same :)

this list looks alright i think what exactly are you having trouble with?

I personally go to the caves in the 1-10 period to get bulbs for a lantern especially as wickerbottom u can craft it with just a science machine instead of alchemy. Id also suggest u get a birdcage much faster, its the first thing after firepit that i usually build :D

ive also started to build a tooth trap field much earlier than i used to. It takes care of the hassle of hounds so effortlessly. After winter and plenty of Mctusk killing i usually end up with loads of teeth for this purpose. 

When i started i too focused heavily on twig/grass/berry farms but they really arent crucial. if u can get a birdcage and 2-3 spidernests in your general area u'll be set.

I personally focus much more on bunnymen than pigmen. I usually just use my surplus monster meat to kill a few werepigs from time to time instead of constructing pig huts. Spider nests and a few bunny huts is really all u need. all the other stuff i usually just build for fun or aesthetics :) 

something else to consider is basing in the Oasis desert so u dont have to rush a cave base come Summer. The Oasis desert doesnt have spontaneous combustion. 

14 minutes ago, Ohan said:

hi, 

no worries we all started out as just the same :)

this list looks alright i think what exactly are you having trouble with?

I personally go to the caves in the 1-10 period to get bulbs for a lantern especially as wickerbottom u can craft it with just a science machine instead of alchemy. Id also suggest u get a birdcage much faster, its the first thing after firepit that i usually build :D

ive also started to build a tooth trap field much earlier than i used to. It takes care of the hassle of hounds so effortlessly. After winter and plenty of Mctusk killing i usually end up with loads of teeth for this purpose. 

When i started i too focused heavily on twig/grass/berry farms but they really arent crucial. if u can get a birdcage and 2-3 spidernests in your general area u'll be set.

I personally focus much more on bunnymen than pigmen. I usually just use my surplus monster meat to kill a few werepigs from time to time instead of constructing pig huts. Spider nests and a few bunny huts is really all u need. all the other stuff i usually just build for fun or aesthetics :) 

something else to consider is basing in the Oasis desert so u dont have to rush a cave base come Summer. The Oasis desert doesnt have spontaneous combustion. 

thx for the reply!

i think i just have trouble surviving mobs because i get too cocky aha

thx for all the tips, i'd be glad to play with you if u have the time and you want to !

As a wickerbottom, your goal should be to gather around 10-20 of each resource type (Grass tufts, saplings, berry bushes, tree cones) while you are exploring. This is so important because you are utilizing Wickerbottom’s books to get all the resources and food you need. You should shoot to get these tasks done far before autumn is over.

You will want to get a base down quickly so you can plant all of the plants you have amassed for the past couple of days. Try to find a suitable place to camp by around day 7. 

Your next goal is to amass a large amount of manure. The fastest way to do this is by turning a normal pig into a werepig, and leaving them with a stack or two of petals/berries. Each stack will net you 40 piles of manure, which you will use to fertilize all of the grass tufts and berry bushes back at your base. Try to make buckets of poop to help conserve your stock of manure.

Once your farm is all set up, start reading your books and farm all the resources.

From here, you will have a large amount of resources and can survive the rest of fall easily. All you have to do is prepare for the next seasons in general.

WINTER: Build appropriate cold protection. Try and kill deerclops for his eyeball and McTusk for his various drops. Farm ice.

SPRING: Build appropriate rain protection. Have plans for various threats during this season. (Goose, Frog Rain, Lightning, Tougher hound attacks) Make flingomatics for your base(s).

SUMMER: Build appropriate heat protection. Deal with antlion. Keep your farms alive from disease, wilting, and general combustion.

There are a few other important things to learn like dealing with hound attacks, disease, and sanity management, but I feel like other guides are out there that could explain better than I can.

That's actually pretty solid if i may say so myself XD bravo!
I would suggest camping near static resources as most ppl suggest like near Swamps (most especially because you need Reeds) or near Desert for cactus flesh based sanity management.

Most other players i meet seem to prefer basing at Oasis for a variety of reasons (Near Antlion, cacti, no smouldering in summer, there's fish, etc.) or near the Moonstone for infinite light. But aside from that, it's generally near an important static resource. 

Man idk why everyone feels the need to construct these elaborate megabases with huge grass farms and berry farms. You seriously don't need it at all. 

If you're just looking to survive consistently, you only need a few things.

A) A consistent food source; knowing how to properly use a crockpot goes a LONG way towards this. Otherwise, know where mobs that you can farm for food spawn. Like tallbirds and spiders. Berry farms also help, but they're kind of overrated in my opinion. Frogs are also an insanely good source of food. And you can always go for the classic Dragonfruit farm if you want infinite food and healing forever basically. (I can elaborate on cooking strategies, if you'd like.)

B) Ways to deal with seasonal threats. Clopsy is the biggest one here, and also pretty much the only one you should bother trying to kill solo and only because the Eyebrella is *insanely* useful. Being the best hat for both Summer and Spring. 

For cold, all you need is a winter hat and a heat stone. Those two things are enough to let you stay toasty for long enough to do almost anything during Winter as a whole, and 100% long enough to do anything you need in your first Winter. If you're feeling brave, you can also make a Beefalo Hat which has the highest insulation value in the game, tied with the Puffy Vest. I prefer the Hat though, since it lets you wear backpacks and armor for fights.

For heat, the Eyebrella and a cold stone will serve you perfectly, same as above. Part of the reason I hate the megabase thing is because you need a bunch of flingomatics to keep it from burning to cinders in the Summer. Being able to fit your entire base under a single flingomatic makes Summer so much easier.

For rain, Eyebrella is 100% defense against both wetness and lightning  (Seriously, this hat is insanely good.)

From there, you can pretty much do anything you want. Giants don't actively terrorize you in DST like they do in DS other than Deerclops, so you're pretty much free to do any expansion or exploration you want after that without fear of dying from anything other than hubris (Which will be your main cause of death in Don't Starve)

There are a few things I like to prioritize during the seasons, like getting the Tam and Walking Stick during Winter, but it's pretty simple to survive basically forever.

On 04/02/2019 at 4:45 AM, Rosten said:

Man idk why everyone feels the need to construct these elaborate megabases with huge grass farms and berry farms. You seriously don't need it at all. 

If you're just looking to survive consistently, you only need a few things.

A) A consistent food source; knowing how to properly use a crockpot goes a LONG way towards this. Otherwise, know where mobs that you can farm for food spawn. Like tallbirds and spiders. Berry farms also help, but they're kind of overrated in my opinion. Frogs are also an insanely good source of food. And you can always go for the classic Dragonfruit farm if you want infinite food and healing forever basically. (I can elaborate on cooking strategies, if you'd like.)

B) Ways to deal with seasonal threats. Clopsy is the biggest one here, and also pretty much the only one you should bother trying to kill solo and only because the Eyebrella is *insanely* useful. Being the best hat for both Summer and Spring. 

For cold, all you need is a winter hat and a heat stone. Those two things are enough to let you stay toasty for long enough to do almost anything during Winter as a whole, and 100% long enough to do anything you need in your first Winter. If you're feeling brave, you can also make a Beefalo Hat which has the highest insulation value in the game, tied with the Puffy Vest. I prefer the Hat though, since it lets you wear backpacks and armor for fights.

For heat, the Eyebrella and a cold stone will serve you perfectly, same as above. Part of the reason I hate the megabase thing is because you need a bunch of flingomatics to keep it from burning to cinders in the Summer. Being able to fit your entire base under a single flingomatic makes Summer so much easier.

For rain, Eyebrella is 100% defense against both wetness and lightning  (Seriously, this hat is insanely good.)

From there, you can pretty much do anything you want. Giants don't actively terrorize you in DST like they do in DS other than Deerclops, so you're pretty much free to do any expansion or exploration you want after that without fear of dying from anything other than hubris (Which will be your main cause of death in Don't Starve)

There are a few things I like to prioritize during the seasons, like getting the Tam and Walking Stick during Winter, but it's pretty simple to survive basically forever.

thx for all the info, i only learned pretty recently about the dragonfruit farm thingy and omg its so good i need to try it

Archived