BFB/Roc is dumb

I know I'm just a salty bastard but whose bloody idea was to add something that will with high chance just oneshot you? You can barely do anything about it w/out it being as annoying as i don't even know what. I mean, I only got to day 11 because I was having a lot of struggle with Hamlet, and I hate the DLC, I hated it before but still wanted to give it a chance - but nope, the Roc completely killed the chances of me playing this dlc even more. 
Seriously, am I the only one who thinks that Roc is SUPER dumb?? 

Yes you are. The BFB is easier to manage then a vanillla Tree Guard.

Your so called "high chance of getting one-shot" is your own lack of skill. If you stay still BFB will land in such a way to not stomp you. So for it to kill you you literally have to run under its feet.

Also...

Don't starve is an "uncompromising survival wilderness game". I'm just going to straight up assume that you spoiled every other dlc for yourself. Well congratulation, you're now experiencing the "uncompromising" part of the game. That's the entire point: "Die, learn from your mistakes, start again, die, repeat". 

Hamlet is a great dlc with a lot of potential just like Sw. Yes it has it's flaws but that's what early acces and community feedback is for.

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Yes you are. The BFB is easier to manage then a vanillla Tree Guard.

Your so called "high chance of getting one-shot" is your own lack of skill. If you stay still BFB will land in such a way to not stomp you. So for it to kill you you literally have to run under its feet.

Also...

Don't starve is an "uncompromising survival wilderness game". I'm just going to straight up assume that you spoiled every other dlc for yourself. Well congratulation, you're now experiencing the "uncompromising" part of the game. That's the entire point: "Die, learn from your mistakes, start again, die, repeat". 

Hamlet is a great dlc with a lot of potential just like Sw. Yes it has it's flaws but that's what early acces and community feedback is for.

I understand that this is an uncompromising survival blah blah blah game, but the Roc is the most confusing and unfair mechanic to me.
I mean, how many bloody worlds were I supposed to lose to actually found that "if you stand still he won't oneshot you"? 
I love RoG, i love SW, and they didn't have this stupid "get rekt by a mechanic because the whole game is trial-and-error". Even Volcano things didn't kill you if you were AT THE VERY LEAST wearing an armor, and it was thousand times more obvious how to not lose the whole world and die - and you probably won't even lose the world, because there's a high chance that by the start of Dry Season you would already have found the altar or made a Meat Effigy.
I know it's early access for now. I think I forgot to specify that I wanted to not play the Hamlet until they at the very least make the Roc less confusing. 
"Your so called "high chance of getting one-shot" is your own lack of skill." no shiet, i already said i barely knew how to survive Hamlet threats. But once again - how the hell was I supposed to know that I supposed to at the very least stand still to not get hit by its feet? And once again, how many worlds were I supposed to lose, if only I wasn't so salty to write on a forum about it? 

At the very least, I have the motivation to try Hamlet again. I still can't believe that I can dislike a DLC for my fav game. 
And I want Warbucks.

I had this problem too because I kept being an idiot and running straight into the BFB's feet.

Just stand still when it flies over you, or run towards it's beak. It doesn't try to step on you, you're just running into it's feet. Poor birb just wants to help.

Agree roc make hamlet unwelcomed for new hamlet players, imo it shouldn’t one shot that not how you teach new players, i mean imagine of falling coconut one shot player just to teach him how shipwrecked work, yeah that make no sense.

klei if you want to add something like this make it at least clear and easy to understand, not confusing that doesn’t teach you anything when you encounter other than getting frustrating like roc.

Seriously, are people literally getting killed by something twice and then denand Klei to nerf it?

When you 1st open Hamlet Klei literally tells you that it's harder than other dlcs

And BFB is a terrible example of "bad mechanic"

Not only it tries to not squish you but there're also almost no reasons for you to get smashed. 

When it's flying you can tell exactly by its shadow where are its legs etc. So if you get killed by landing BFB then it's 100% your fault for not using basic logic.

If you get killed by walking BFB then it's again 100% your fault. What, did you run between its legs or run around it?

Klei don't nerf BFB. In fact make it deadlier

2 hours ago, Szczuku said:

When it's flying you can tell exactly by its shadow where are its legs etc.

It happens way too quickly for you to react, doesn't it?
Or else I wouldn't be dead and salty on forums. And even if I was quick enough to react, I wasn't fast enough to get out of Roc's way. (tbh i don't even remember what happened anymore) 

3 minutes ago, sciencyrobot said:

It happens way too quickly for you to react, doesn't it?

In case you mean shadow of its legs when it's landing- I don't meant that.

I mean its general shadow when it's flying around. It should be logical that if you're going to meet it face to face like this:

Spoiler

image.png.31e6af4ebf46397adff7715d56cae3b4.png

when it'll land its legs will be the thing that you're running into.

However when it's going to meat you when you're going in the same direction as it:

Spoiler

image.png.5b6f34b6415768e7dcd494a970befb9b.png

It's going to land and there's no way for you to get smashed there.

I think the issue is that it's a thing that doesn't fit any of the patterns of things that can kill you normally in this game.

Generally, as far as combat goes, you do it to yourself. 90% of enemies are slower than you, so you die because you chose to engage with them instead of cutting your losses and running away.

For other things, that aren't as self-inflicted, they're slow burns. Eating a tuber poisons you, but it doesn't kill you instantly, it tells you that you did something wrong and gives you time to react to that. Same thing with the seasonal issues like freezing, overheating, sneezing, the mist, etc. You're given ample time to react to and try to mitigate the danger.

The Roc is pretty much the only thing in any game that comes, and instantly kills you if you interact with it in the wrong way. It's not something you chose to do, and it's not something you had any time to learn how to counteract. It just steps on you and kills you without really telling you what you did wrong.

How is a new player who gets killed by the Roc supposed to surmise that standing still is the best option. When is standing still EVER the best option when confronted with a new threat? (Running away is the default way to hedge your bets against new creatures, after all. That's baked into how "combat" works.) There's absolutely no way to know that the Roc isn't actively trying to step on you, especially when your first death is a result of the creature stepping on you. So you keep trying to run away from it, and sometimes you die and sometimes you live but you can't tell why because there's no real obvious indicator of what's happening.

16 hours ago, Rosten said:

When is standing still EVER the best option when confronted with a new threat? (Running away is the default way to hedge your bets against new creatures, after all. That's baked into how "combat" works.) There's absolutely no way to know that the Roc isn't actively trying to step on you, especially when your first death is a result of the creature stepping on you. So you keep trying to run away from it, and sometimes you die and sometimes you live but you can't tell why because there's no real obvious indicator of what's happening.

I wouldn't be able to say it better. The first instinct, no matter where - is to "run", not "stand still", when faced with a new slowly approaching threat. 

Archived