Extreme lag in my current base - save attached

I don't know why my current base is so darn laggy, but I can't do anything. It seems like every half second the game just pauses. I've never had this problem before. I'm going to upload my save game so that someone else can take a look at it.

My system info:

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

i just saved. Cycle 247.sav

I did shift+F11 on your map and it dropped the cpu utilization down pretty substantially. This was purely accidental, but everything ran fine after that. so obviously, all your buildings and what not are a cause for all yuour problems, but no, j/k, really a bit excessive for 16 dupes, you have a lot of liquid reservoirs... just saying, take it as you need it maybe?

You're base is suffering from what many have referred to as a cause for jittering lag: excessive spamming of buildings, excessive dig-out, excessive loose resources, excessive multipathing ( beehive syndrome )*, excessive open "air" ( not that this is a problem after hitting shift+f11 accidentally ), excessive chores.

If I hadn't accidentally killed everything, the colony would have died of starvation in about 5 cycles - apparently you ran out of dirt?. About 3 cycles in, a meteor shower began, I don't know how long they last, but that may have contributed to some of the lag. Totally, unplayable at 3x speed. I agree.

*Probably the nail in the coffin. Hard to explain beehive, but when faced with a choice on pathing, two equal length paths, and excessive distance between equally capable dupes leads to hitching and judgement issues as the AI processes the best match for the nearest dupe - locality is complicated by too many demand factors and too many paths to demanding forces. Simplify pathing by making dead ended rooms and not have a bunch of skyscraper like scaffolding.

The thing is I frequently make bases similar to this one, and this is the first time I've had lag this bad.

Consider the attached save file, which has more buildings in an overall quite similar layout, but only very minor lag issues. Nothing like the freezing that's happening in the former save file.

Big crazy base without bad lag.sav

BTW, what does shift-f11 do?

interesting, I'll have to take a look tomorrow. I first noticed the lag when inspecting the hydrogen / radiator / damage. and then it dragged to a frame every 5 seconds or so until i turned down the speed. It was obnoxious and agreeably unplayable. So there was something going on just after day break - I assume it had something to do with chores being sorted out for the dupes and the subsequent calculations - I didn't bother to check the work schedule. I was mostly looking at my cpu utlization so see  if anything was out of the ordinary - and there was very strange on again off again utilzation of 6 of my logical processors in a square wave pattern over the course of the first two cycles.

I apologize, but I was trying to turn radeon chill off to see what my max fps could be and I accidentally nuked the base with an erroneous hot key press. I though the game crashed and was waiting for a juicy log but it recovered, sort of, it deleted all the non indestructible buildings, and essentially brought the sim back to a virgin state of pure physics - killed off the entire colony along with every living thing on the map. It essentially eradicated path finding.

Reservoirs are much better when it comes to performance than an open basin. In the basin, the game has to calculate every tile for itself.

So, if your basin is 10x10 tiles big, there are 100 tiles calculated for change of liquid every tick. 

In the reservoir, its just one number, that may change or change not.

I think the game is going to do that calculation regardless of whether or not you've got something it it or not - that's just how it should work, now if you were to show me evidence that the sim checks for vacuum and there are less calculations, then I'll be pleasantly surprised and might start recommending that unused areas be evacuated of all contents.

As for reservoirs, they take up 6 tiles where liquid would take up 5 - now you have 6 tiles of calculations rather than 5. I don't see how this improves calculation performance. And that's not mentioning whatever the tank is surrounded by.

So can you flood a reservoir? If you can, then you could get 11 tiles of liquid into 6 tiles of space. Now we're talking saving space.

Archived