Map viewer/editor

cejoga

Back from the dead (old mod section). This post will change in a few days.

Information

Myself and a very close friend, I'm gonna call him LCR, we are working in a map viewer/editor.

UPDATE (16/03/2013)

Things that we are working

- Generated the first map from scratch :D

- Generated another map from scratch (no interface yet just core) for fun

- Researching deeper and deeper on how to generate a map from scratch (there is no fun here)

- Thinking in release some kind of simple editor with simple functionalities

(new image!)

Images

2 past days playing with this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by cejoga

by map editor do you mean like, make more land and spawn pig houses and tentacles and stuff?

Sorry.I'm thinking about two versions right now. A simple one with just a viewer and the funcionality of edit/add entities on the map. And another with all complex things like create a map from scratch.

[MENTION=4779]cejoga[/MENTION]hi,this seems pretty cool,how is it going?any test version to try out?and can't help asking,is this something like save editor,reading saved data and edit and change map to what you want?if it is,then it's very useful,cause we can create some map with bitmap image of something.

Edited by noisestudio

[MENTION=4779]cejoga[/MENTION]hi,this seems pretty cool,how is it going?any test version to try out?and can't help asking,is this something like save editor,reading saved data and edit and change map to what you want?if it is,then it's very useful,cause we can create some map with bitmap image of something.

Not yet.Well, the map is inside the save file. So we and the guys from save editor are doing the same thing but the location that they are changing is different from ours. They are changing a little piece and we are changing the rest of the save file. I have a few choices but I need every knowledge from the save file to decide which way we are going to take.

[MENTION=4779]cejoga[/MENTION]good,actually i am going to do the same thing,so i just want to ask some question if i may.that saved file looks odd to me,how you decode it to human readable text?is it possible to get some clue from gamelogic.lua file?cause yesterday i found some table in the file,it seems it recorded some prefabs and player infomation.but i don't understand how it works to convert saved data to that table.i think maybe you have finished your data analysis

[MENTION=10578]noisestudio[/MENTION]Look at the top of main.lua for the variable that determines if saved games are json encoded or not. Encoding the files makes the saved games *much* smaller....but hard for humans to read. :DYou could look at the json.lua file to see how this encoding is being done and either replicate it in your programming environment or find a json library you can use.

[MENTION=4779]cejoga[/MENTION]good,actually i am going to do the same thing,so i just want to ask some question if i may.that saved file looks odd to me,how you decode it to human readable text?is it possible to get some clue from gamelogic.lua file?cause yesterday i found some table in the file,it seems it recorded some prefabs and player infomation.but i don't understand how it works to convert saved data to that table.i think maybe you have finished your data analysis

Well, then we have kinda three teams doing the same thing. The guys from the save editor are also thinking about it. This kinda bothers me but if anyone what to try who am I to say no.I followed all the clues left by a certain developer from Klei. Moreover, we will not discuss it with anybody until we have finished the project and this will take a long long road. I'm sorry.Good luck man! [MENTION=10271]WrathOf[/MENTION],I'm pretty sure that is a lua table :)