New regolith management examples request

Hi all,

Since I last played, robo-miners and thermium have been added and I'm interested in seeing some examples of how these have changed how people manage the top of the map, particularly above their solar panels.

I can imagine some people have done great things in moving the steel and regolith with thermium sweepers. But are robo-miners really any good compared to the old door munching technique for digging the regolith? 

Will add an example of my current setup when I get home that currently hasn't utilized robo-miners or thermium yet. Keen to see what others have done.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

20181101180826_1.thumb.jpg.abdc63c5d1013d06f93e91783742df19.jpg

Interesting, thanks for this. A couple of questions.

1. The robo-miners get burried and cannot dig themselves out correct? You're relying on the right spacing so neighbours can dig each other out? Extremely unlikely that all would get burried in one shower.

2. You have drywall behind the robos and the glass is touching the panels. This results in the regolith heat being transmitted to the panels no? You cool the whole package (robos, panels,batteries) and the time regolith spends there is not long enough to worry about?

1. Yes

2. Yes, it's off screen but there are wheeze warts under the batteries that keep them cool.  The regolith acts as a thermal bridge between the miners/sweepers/loaders and the panels

Here's some screenshots taken in sequence after a meteor shower

20181020131303_1.thumb.jpg.8ce522d4b430cc5a9f313314a7128e55.jpg20181020131327_1.thumb.jpg.91b7201d08dc9262aa6bd2b5707777b8.jpg20181020131333_1.thumb.jpg.1a0b7bc12fbf4a408175ed4d6494154b.jpg20181020131354_1.thumb.jpg.a2ac833887fcbd421badc0de86d89890.jpg 

Also note that no thermium was used, only steel 

6 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

1. Yes

2. Yes, it's off screen but there are wheeze warts under the batteries that keep them cool.  The regolith acts as a thermal bridge between the miners/sweepers/loaders and the panels

Here's some screenshots taken in sequence after a meteor shower

20181020131303_1.thumb.jpg.8ce522d4b430cc5a9f313314a7128e55.jpg20181020131327_1.thumb.jpg.91b7201d08dc9262aa6bd2b5707777b8.jpg20181020131333_1.thumb.jpg.1a0b7bc12fbf4a408175ed4d6494154b.jpg20181020131354_1.thumb.jpg.a2ac833887fcbd421badc0de86d89890.jpg 

Also note that no thermium was used, only steel 

Isn't regolith temp above steel overheat temp, or am I wrong?

Just now, bleeter6 said:

Isn't regolith temp above steel overheat temp, or am I wrong?

the initial temp yes but most of that heat dissipates into the CO2 during impact and vents into space, by the time it falls though open doors it's below the steel temp

This isn't 100% but it's easier to maybe repair a steel structure once every few hundred cycles than to try and build this whole setup out of thermium

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

the initial temp yes but most of that heat dissipates into the CO2 during impact and vents into space, by the time it falls though open doors it's below the steel temp

This isn't 100% but it's easier to maybe repair a steel structure once every few hundred cycles than to try and build this whole setup out of thermium

Ok. I was holding of on switching to the miners cuz I thought I needed niobium. I'll switch to steel now thanx.

In my previous game i did the same build. Problems:

1 Overheating from the regolith...first I put under glass or diamond wall hidrogen cooled, but over 75 degrees panels start to take damage.

2 I put under all the whezze available in the asteroid and imported from the ice planets more...and a nice layer of water for cooling faster the regolith.

3 It was ok until klei changed the quantity of regolith dropped and the shove vole eat less than the quantity of regolith drooped so i stooped the power generation whit solar panels until this situation is changed. 

Conclusion: Until the regolith droop is balanced isn't worth building solar panels, better steam, natural gas or petroleum generators for power.

8 minutes ago, tzionut said:

In my previous game i did the same build. Problems:

1 Overheating from the regolith...first I put under glass or diamond wall hidrogen cooled, but over 75 degrees panels start to take damage.

2 I put under all the whezze available in the asteroid and imported from the ice planets more...and a nice layer of water for cooling faster the regolith.

3 It was ok until klei changed the quantity of regolith dropped and the shove vole eat less than the quantity of regolith drooped so i stooped the power generation whit solar panels until this situation is changed. 

Conclusion: Until the regolith droop is balanced isn't worth building solar panels, better steam, natural gas or petroleum generators for power.

did you tame your voles?

22 minutes ago, tzionut said:

This I fundamentally disagree with. Solar is a predictable, infinite source of energy that requires no dupe input. I have been running bases on 90%+ solar power before shov voles, thermium or robo-miners existed. 

It is an enjoyable challenge that requires planning to build optimally. It's not clear to me why you would be trying to cool regolith but if your panels are overheating, that seems to indicate a poor design. 

5 hours ago, Neotuck said:

20181101180826_1.thumb.jpg.abdc63c5d1013d06f93e91783742df19.jpg

I like this build and I appreciate you sharing it. 

I don't have your Weezewort supply yet though. However I do have piles of thermium (weezes for me are twice the distance on the starmap compared to a 4% Niobium deposit). 

I will try a similar design but I will not be attempting to actively cool the robos or the regolith. If I build your same row of robos/sweepers but air gap them from the panels and build them out of thermium the 300C regolith will "cool" them as it lands on them.

E.g. in the image below I can swap out the row of doors with a row of your robos/sweepers in thermium. But before I do that I'd like to run the math on energy efficiency of robo mining the regolith vs. door chomping, I'm still not sure Robos make sense in terms of effective sunlight throughput (they dig slow) and energy cost (they chew power digging slowly) compared to door chomping. 

5c474628ed08c_CurrentBuild.thumb.jpg.f07e106bd858cddab92290f4d5903f1e.jpg

Venting a small amount of gas next to your miners to serve as a transfer medium before it makes it out the vacuum works shockingly well - each one of these is getting 10 grams per second of cold oxygen (-30ish C) through the valve.

overview.thumb.jpg.60b0de3b332cd5da132917144124c0b4.jpg

The tempshift configuration definitely isn't ideal but the miners easily get to below 0C between showers.

temp.thumb.jpg.48dcdeda539afde27abcb240144ece0e.jpg

Simple automation with just a filter and S/R; 100s on the filter seems to be enough time for the regolith to drop even with bad latency,

automation.thumb.jpg.9b6d3d03dea1a2cf4802e16ec7016270.jpg

did you tame your voles?

Nop only wilde one. And only 5 survived. The game was started and in the development version whit crash on shove vole droping point and eggs instant going to raw eggs when dropped. 

And i didn't have yet a pipe whit cool liquid.

This I fundamentally disagree with. Solar is a predictable, infinite source of energy that requires no dupe input. I have been running bases on 90%+ solar power before shov voles, thermium or robo-miners existed. 

For me whit 8 dupes, 2 natural gas vents are enought for the power management and i constant convert surplus in methane. Whit a buffer nat gas reservoit and methane reconverted to natural gas when the presure is under the quantity you set. You will have unlimited power for whatever you want. 

7 hours ago, tzionut said:

Nop only wilde one. And only 5 survived. The game was started and in the development version whit crash on shove vole droping point and eggs instant going to raw eggs when dropped. 

If you knew the problem was you were using a development version then why do you think voles aren't the solution now?

In my build a single wild vole can clear a critter feeder of regolith faster than a sweeper can load it.  I have been able to delete over 9 tons in a single cycle. 

Possibly more but meteor showers can only provide so much.

I used to think voles didn't make a dent in removing regolith, I then found out that my feeder wasn't feeding the voles.  A couple of cycles later after I got it working again, the 10 compactors full of regolith were all empty.

20 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

@Neotuck I notice you don't bother with heat reclamation for steam power.  Do you have so much solar that you simply don't care, or do you find steam heat power not worth the effort?

both really

only time I use turbines is for heat deletion

If you knew the problem was you were using a development version then why do you think voles aren't the solution now?

This is what i use now for clearing the regolith but ThunderLock hasn't in his old save game the luxury of shove voles and can,t import it from other planets ( i made a suggestion but no result until now). I had by cycle 287 when i finish my regolith no more wall, 2800 tones of regolith.

And after i finish all the regolith in in the asteroid i will try am make a new post whit the results. We will see if the regolith drop from metheor is balanced or not. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e1d25249ce5e907cfef81dc60bea04aa.png

image.thumb.png.602edcc16e6847194c25944d6ca97df0.png

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:20 PM, Neotuck said:

only time I use turbines is for heat deletion

I'm not entirely sure how you're able to keep up with meteor showers with just wheezeworts.  Out of curiousity, I set this up in my playthrough.  Don't mind the missing solar panels, they were overheating badly.  Figured I'd wait until I had control.

5c4f63fa829e1_WheezevsRegolith.thumb.JPG.5a0a5bec1e383d275e902e4e0e1197fa.JPG

The cooling for this doesn't make sense for me, and I'm only allowing for 2 layers of rego at space edge to form.  27 wheeze in hydrogen only provides about 324 kDTU of cooling.  How many wheeze are you using, and am I missing something important?  Right now because of the heat my dupes are manually hauling stuff in so I can try and get the temp down so I can build them without overheating.

Where's that regolith going eventually? You're absorbing a ton of thermal energy into the room with the batteries because the hot regolith is sitting on the glass; shipping the regolith somewhere (and dealing with the heat there) instead of letting it into your solar infrastructure has been more manageable in my experience.

Archived