I have been invaded and persecuted by Regolith.

Hi,

TL;DR : If anyone knows a MOD to remove Regolith, or has any interest in creating one, you're the dude I'm looking for. Please do not say 'just use sandbox' / whatever you think is best. :)

So, my colony is 3000 cycle old, everything is perfect, in a perfect world, except for those damn regolith, from the old update, which are reallllyyy being extremely difficult to handle in terms of lag. Make sense, considering that I have 50,000 tons of this cursed material. Yeah, 50K tons (don't worry, they are vacuum sealed).

While I do have access to a very hot copper volcano (2200-2400 Celsius degrees hot) and a few dozen 4t liquid copper tiles, it would probably end up...cold with that much Regolith. Probably, cause I haven't done the math ( :D ). And even if it would, I would still have to deal with lots of magma to send to space. Not ideal, to say the least, without even considering the amount of time that would require.

Of course, enabling sandbox would be easy, I would erase all of it with the magical button... But I have managed to survive and create a great colony without enabling the sandbox mode, and once activated, the setting is persistent (I should probably add a sad kitty picture here. Or a sad pony).

So, if any of you guys know a mod / or would be interesting in creating one (a man can only dream), that would be much appreciated. Even a very "simple" mod that would implement a device/station that would take like 20t of regolith as input and produce nothing would be more than acceptable, considering how desperate I am. Only need that regolith to disappear, and my save to be...safe, and happy. We all know how important it is, to make a save file happy.

Cheers from the invaded-by-regolith-colony.

PS : in term of optimization, I do know about the (great) mod regarding daily reports, but I'm really interested in getting rid of this old space madness.

It's an old save game so no shove vole. I started a new game and i make a box where i trapped all the shove vole. Whit a sweep arm and a feeder i feed the wild shove whit regolith. For now the shove vole are the most efficient method to get rig of regolith. Without shove vole the only solution is to melt it. For that make a pit from the magma area to the vacuum area, and move the magma from bottom to top whit door compressors or 2 gas pump. On top you build a box whit at least 4 conveyors receiver and 3 doors, 2 in the bootom area of the box and one in one side for preventing more magma to enter in the box.

The automation is simple. A thermosensor to open the 2 bottom doors to a space area for get rig of 1410 degrees magma, and 2 liquid sensor and a toggle circuit for open the side door when you finish evacuating the cooled magma for new hot magma input. You can get rid in this way at least 9 t of regolith per cycle. 

The tunnel from top to bottom must be vacuum, and also the walls must be from ceramic or obsidian separated by another vacuum column of tile (for preventing heat lost. 

I build something like this when i experiment whit regolith smelter. You can find on forum if you want. 

Good luck. at least 560 cycle to melt all the regolith and between 200 to less to build it (it depend from the max number of dupes you have)

P.S. I play without mods or sand box mode. Only vanilla games. It's harder but possible. 

P.P.S. You can preheat the regolith using the heat from the meteors if you go whit the conveyor rail to the regolith no more wall, and you can use the heat generated from the rocket engine to heat the magma in the box :)

Yes you are right... but you can multiply the boxes on vertica and horizontal l making 10 pieces or more. One box is 4 tile wide and 7 tile high and make it in 2 row...And for get rid of the new regolith you can use the bug whit vanishing regolith whit horizontal doors. I don't like it so no solar farm for me until klei limit the regolith input again. 

If you have shove voles, domesticate them. They do not seem to have an overcrowding limit, and at about 50 or so they consume much more than rains in from space. That is with a space-seal close to the top (3 tiles), apparently you get more with the seal 8 tiles or more below the limit or no seal.

Being stuck in sandbox mode activated. And, not to be rude, but who cares what my reasons are ? ^^

I'm simply asking for a solution within a certain scope, if you can't/don't want to provide an answer that fits these criteria, it's allright, but there is really no point of telling me you disagree with the logic behind it :D

3 hours ago, Ersir said:

Even a very "simple" mod that would implement a device/station that would take like 20t of regolith as input and produce nothing would be more than acceptable, considering how desperate I am.

I wouldn't say adding a new building a very simple mod :p

3 hours ago, Ersir said:

So, if any of you guys know a mod / or would be interesting in creating one (a man can only dream), that would be much appreciated.

Instead I made a really simple mod that reduces amount of regolith in any storage (storage lockers, smelter, most likely any building with storage that actually holds regolith).

ClearRegolith.dll

Every time you load the game with this mod installed 90% of its mass is removed.

Requires the @trevice's ModLoader https://github.com/javisar/ONI-Modloader

More info about mods at my signature (below).

9 minutes ago, Etiam said:

I wouldn't say adding a new building a very simple mod :p

Instead I made a really simple mod that reduces amount of regolith in any storage (storage lockers, smelter, most likely any building with storage that actually holds regolith).

ClearRegolith.dll

Every time you load the game with this mod installed 90% of its mass is removed.

Requires the @trevice's ModLoader https://github.com/javisar/ONI-Modloader

More info about mods at my signature (below).

Would you mind adding this to your github?

3 minutes ago, Etiam said:

@Nitroturtle Sure, I didn't plan to as it seemed like a niche issue, but I don't know much about late game. I'll add it soon ;)

Thanks, I just wanted to mess with it from a performance testing aspect.  With the source I can play with the values.

Regolith is still very abundant late game, even with shove voles.

It works perfectly ! My FPS has been drastically improved.

And yeah, for people who didn't start a new game with recent updates, I can surely imagine them using this mod. Was actually really surprised that -15K of regolith from my storage (which I though was the most optimized way of dealing with that stuff) would have such a big impact on my framerate (like 10+fps !).

Archived