I have two characters in my DST??? HELP

So I was trying to get a new version of my mod to use in play, it's called Kar, thing is, I had an outdated version, which I deleted in the mods folder, I probably did something wrong, and It may require some more explanation, but long story short, my updated character mod is not being shown in the game (despite being shown in the autocompiler ) and TWO outdated versions of it appear in the game (ahh it's multiplying!) I'm not any decent at computer things, so I definitely did something wrong, can anyone help me pinpoint to what that is??? I'll give you any information you need, here are two images that should describe what's going on, to a small degree: image.thumb.png.f4af2631a8e549e1b2e5fcbfb051f1fb.png
The in game copy of two outdated versions.
image.thumb.png.3dbd3ebb84b03f72f04885fff3557224.png

The current state of my mods folder
Pls send help ;-;

You have to unsubscribe from the original mod. It doesn't help to just delete the folder with the original.

Also, if you've copied and changed another person's mod, and you're planning on putting it on the workshop, make sure you give it a different prefab name, and that you have permission to do so. The prefab name is also important if you want to be able to use the two characters simultaneously.

Edited by Ultroman

8 hours ago, Akarinnnnnn said:

Try to contact the mod's Author for help?

6 hours ago, Ultroman said:

You have to unsubscribe from the original mod. It doesn't help to just delete the folder with the original.

Also, if you've copied and changed another person's mod, and you're planning on putting it on the workshop, make sure you give it a different prefab name, and that you have permission to do so. The prefab name is also important if you want to be able to use the two characters simultaneously.

I...am the mod's author. But I'll go check to see if I published it by any chance! What happened is that somehow, an older version I made(Kar Maldov), and have since deleted from existence, is in the game, but not in the mods folder, whereas the new one (Kar), is in the mods folder, but not in the game...

Okay, so It turns out you guys were right, and I did actually publish a version of this, and it got deleted, but now the game crashes whenever I use the game, so it seems like I just don't know how to update the mod properly. So you said change the prefabs? what do you mean by this?

I'm not sure this is even the problem. But, at the bottom of your character's LUA file, you give it a name, like "karmaldov". If that's the same for two prefabs, it can give you some real trouble. Try to change it. Just know that if you check for inst.prefab == "the_name" somewhere, you'll have to change those as well.

But I'm not sure you need to do that, since it seems like you got past the problem of having two versions of the mod. Unsubscribe to the mod, and after that sit and wait at the "Mods" screen for it to delete it. Remove any version of it from the "mods" folder. Get reset (you might already have done this). Take your newest version (which you hopefully keep outside the "mods" folder), and put it in the "mods" folder, start a new server, and see what happens.

maybe you had reset your OS or edited Registry. Mod Tools uses some Register Key to storage where your mod data locates and it's ID.

image.thumb.png.f5ce10207dcc5aae7e77a6bbf5e8bde0.png

I see it! for example, one of my Mod ID is 1579583001, Data Folder and Preview Image are storage in \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Klei\Don't Starve Mod Uploader\MRU\1579583001\ 

Umm, is this what you were talking about? Making sure everything is under the name of the mod?
image.thumb.png.b93e00a3c74cfaf0f6bb2cdb8f4d72f8.png

image.thumb.png.a2ec0c1372e264bfe6aebbe58f750269.png

image.thumb.png.53321ab1c20f980b63d20157d0445446.png

image.thumb.png.1031b6c0d1f83c668d57cd2a393d20a3.png

7 hours ago, Ultroman said:

I'm not sure this is even the problem. But, at the bottom of your character's LUA file, you give it a name, like "karmaldov". If that's the same for two prefabs, it can give you some real trouble. Try to change it. Just know that if you check for inst.prefab == "the_name" somewhere, you'll have to change those as well.

But I'm not sure you need to do that, since it seems like you got past the problem of having two versions of the mod. Unsubscribe to the mod, and after that sit and wait at the "Mods" screen for it to delete it. Remove any version of it from the "mods" folder. Get reset (you might already have done this). Take your newest version (which you hopefully keep outside the "mods" folder), and put it in the "mods" folder, start a new server, and see what happens.

Is that what you meant? I did indeed did this, still doesn't work. If you want, you may have my compiled folder? I could send it if you want, check and see if anything's wrong?

3 hours ago, Akarinnnnnn said:

maybe you had reset your OS or edited Registry. Mod Tools uses some Register Key to storage where your mod data locates and it's ID.

image.thumb.png.f5ce10207dcc5aae7e77a6bbf5e8bde0.png

I see it! for example, one of my Mod ID is 1579583001, Data Folder and Preview Image are storage in \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Klei\Don't Starve Mod Uploader\MRU\1579583001\ 

W-what? I wouldn't even know how I could've done that! Much less figure out how to fix it! You mean the ID for the mod? idek where to find that ;-;

image.png

No...not what I meant at all.

As I said, look at the bottom of your character's LUA file. There should be a line looking like this:

return MakePlayerCharacter("gir", prefabs, assets, common_postinit, master_postinit, start_inv)

In this instance, "gir" is the prefab name of the character.

But as I said, I don't know if you need to do this. You haven't provided any error logs, so I don't know what problems you're experiencing, other than problems publishing the mod. Did you publish the newest version now, or are you still testing it by simply copying it into your mods folder?

On 2019/1/18 at 11:15 PM, Kar_Maldov said:

Umm, is this what you were talking about? Making sure everything is under the name of the mod?
image.thumb.png.b93e00a3c74cfaf0f6bb2cdb8f4d72f8.png

image.thumb.png.a2ec0c1372e264bfe6aebbe58f750269.png

image.thumb.png.53321ab1c20f980b63d20157d0445446.png

image.thumb.png.1031b6c0d1f83c668d57cd2a393d20a3.png

Is that what you meant? I did indeed did this, still doesn't work. If you want, you may have my compiled folder? I could send it if you want, check and see if anything's wrong?

W-what? I wouldn't even know how I could've done that! Much less figure out how to fix it! You mean the ID for the mod? idek where to find that ;-;

image.png

Maybe you should check your Steam workshop, you might see there are two "Kar Maldov" . Just delete older version, it will be fixed.

It seems like you had uploaded the same mod twice.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:23 AM, Ultroman said:

No...not what I meant at all.

As I said, look at the bottom of your character's LUA file. There should be a line looking like this:

return MakePlayerCharacter("gir", prefabs, assets, common_postinit, master_postinit, start_inv)

In this instance, "gir" is the prefab name of the character.

But as I said, I don't know if you need to do this. You haven't provided any error logs, so I don't know what problems you're experiencing, other than problems publishing the mod. Did you publish the newest version now, or are you still testing it by simply copying it into your mods folder?

Oh! So like this!
image.png.049e87aa46bf2a46517939c25ec1189c.png

Okay! SO yeah it appears that I did that. How do I get you the error logs so that you may see what is going on? idk how I can do that :/

On 1/19/2019 at 11:50 AM, Akarinnnnnn said:

Maybe you should check your Steam workshop, you might see there are two "Kar Maldov" . Just delete older version, it will be fixed.

It seems like you had uploaded the same mod twice.

Yup! there was in fact, one other one, I got rid of it, now I'm dealing with the fact that the actual, updated one, is not working.

The following is only important, if you're actually experiencing trouble while playing the game or while waiting for the server to start. If you problems appear before this, then only your client log may help (see below where to find that).

Preferably attach the whole server_log.txt to a post. You can find it here:

<SystemDriveLetter>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_# (# = 1-5 the placement of your server on the list of servers)
In that folder, you will find a "Master" folder and perhaps also a "Caves" folder. Both should have a server_log.txt in them. Attach those files to a post here, by dragging and dropping them onto the reply you are about to submit.

If there are no such files, it is because the game dies before it can start the server. In that case, go back to
<SystemDriveLetter>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

...where you should find the file client_log.txt. Attach that one instead.

Edited by Ultroman

40 minutes ago, Ultroman said:

The following is only important, if you're actually experiencing trouble while playing the game or while waiting for the server to start. If you problems appear before this, then only your client log may help (see below where to find that).

Preferably attach the whole server_log.txt to a post. You can find it here:

<SystemDriveLetter>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether\Cluster_# (# = 1-5 the placement of your server on the list of servers)
In that folder, you will find a "Master" folder and perhaps also a "Caves" folder. Both should have a server_log.txt in them. Attach those files to a post here, by dragging and dropping them onto the reply you are about to submit.

If there are no such files, it is because the game dies before it can start the server. In that case, go back to
<SystemDriveLetter>:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

...where you should find the file client_log.txt. Attach that one instead.

I would send you the txt file, but I believe I can do you one better by figuring out the Exact problem with the mod!
image.thumb.png.dbba9f4bf90953a9ab2e3f1aa74da6a8.png
So, in essence...I did something wrong with my picture?

here's the file anyways so you don't have to ask for it

client_log.txt

Nah, those are normal errors with the modicons, and are not detrimental. You should fix them, though. As it says, your images should be power-of-2, so 128x128 or 256x256 or 512x512. If those are not your mods, forget about those errors.

This is the error.

[00:03:26]: [string "scripts/util.lua"]:550: Could not find an asset matching anim/kar.zip in any of the search paths.

You have either misplaced the file, or you are referencing it incorrectly in your code.

Actually, I'm seeing a lot of errors for missing files from the folder "Kar (Kar Maldov)".

If you're right now testing your mod by downloading a version from the workshop, then your test-folder (which this seems to be) should NOT be in there. That will give you an extra character. The workshop-version of your mod is in a folder called "workshop-#########" where ###### is some id.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Ultroman said:

Nah, those are normal errors with the modicons, and are not detrimental. You should fix them, though. As it says, your images should be power-of-2, so 128x128 or 256x256 or 512x512. If those are not your mods, forget about those errors.

This is the error.

[00:03:26]: [string "scripts/util.lua"]:550: Could not find an asset matching anim/kar.zip in any of the search paths.

You have either misplaced the file, or you are referencing it incorrectly in your code.

Actually, I'm seeing a lot of errors for missing files from the folder "Kar (Kar Maldov)".

If you're right now testing your mod by downloading a version from the workshop, then your test-folder (which this seems to be) should NOT be in there. That will give you an extra character. The workshop-version of your mod is in a folder called "workshop-#########" where ###### is some id.

uhh,,,do you just want my .zip file? I'm wayy to confused at this point.Before I ask, how would I go about updating the mod?

Kar.rar

What are you confused about? Did you look at your folders?

- Is there a "Kar (Kar Maldov)" folder in your "mods" folder?

- What is the Workshop ID of your mod?

- Is there a folder in your "mods" folder that has that ID?

If both folders are there, it means that you have two versions of the mod installed. You need to remove one of them. What I do when I'm modding, and only testing alone, I unsubscribe from my mod, delete the workshop-###### folder from my "mods" folder, and copy my changed version into a new folder in the "mods" folder. Then I keep editing the files in that folder. Since the mod is now not "connected" to the workshop, it won't replace my files with the ones on the workshop. When I'm done with the modding, I move the folder out of the "mods" folder, to where I stash my mod code. Then I use the Steam mod tools to upload the new version of the mod, and then I subscribe to my mod again.

On 1/26/2019 at 6:53 AM, Ultroman said:

What are you confused about? Did you look at your folders?

- Is there a "Kar (Kar Maldov)" folder in your "mods" folder?

- What is the Workshop ID of your mod?

- Is there a folder in your "mods" folder that has that ID?

If both folders are there, it means that you have two versions of the mod installed. You need to remove one of them. What I do when I'm modding, and only testing alone, I unsubscribe from my mod, delete the workshop-###### folder from my "mods" folder, and copy my changed version into a new folder in the "mods" folder. Then I keep editing the files in that folder. Since the mod is now not "connected" to the workshop, it won't replace my files with the ones on the workshop. When I'm done with the modding, I move the folder out of the "mods" folder, to where I stash my mod code. Then I use the Steam mod tools to upload the new version of the mod, and then I subscribe to my mod again.

I'm sorry, it's been a HOT minute since I last replied, how's it been? I was hecking busy ;-;...

Anyways, what I wanted to say was that I already did that, and even checked all of the mods again to make sure I deleted my workshop mod, sure enough, I think I did. I feel like my issue now is something with the formatting of the updated mod's code, and I wanted to know what is wrong with it. I did send you the zip, did it work on your end? If it did, what am I doing wrong?

Yeah, you were referencing the file "kar.zip" but the filename you had was "Kar.zip". Capital letters make a difference. Also, you referenced "ghost_kar_build.zip" but the filename was "ghost_esctemplate_build.zip".

You also didn't make your modicon.PNG into a .TEX file.

I fixed your modicon, renamed the "Kar.zip" file, and duplicated the wrongly named "ghost_esctemplate_build.zip" and called the duplicate "ghost_kar_build.zip". Do with "ghost_esctemplate_build.zip" what you want. Probably delete it, if you don't reference it.

Your character still doesn't have a name on the character select screen, and seems to have the wrong avatar image, but it works once you're in the game.

Kar.zip