New oxygen building

This is a late game, post electrolyzer oxygen build menu idea. I have seen a few topics regarding trees, vines, or other greens that produce oxygen and/or decor. I am taking a slightly different approach and suggesting a building that produces oxygen out of power and seeds. Maybe only blossom seeds since they require light/power? Although late game many transition to sleet wheat. The building would essentially be a mini greenhouse / photosynthesis powerhouse, producing oxygen with the excess seeds we have late game (although Klei did provide us with the ability to compost seeds).

Seeds + Power -> Oxygen

Spoiler

Yes, I am aware that oxygen via photosynthesis is produced from CO2 and H2O, but I'm choosing to shortcut those - at least the H2O because it is already used in the electrolyzer.

Mid game we are concerned with building farms and providing food for our duplicants. At the same time, we likely have electrolyzers providing oxygen. Once we have the food in excess, and power in excess, late game, we can take the seeds and power, and use it to create a new oxygen source.

Feel free to post positive or negative comments. I'm interested in filling out our oxygen build menu. Although the game is called Oxygen Not Included, I do not think it meant oxygen buildings not included! If you have another idea for oxygen production, please share it with the forum. Thanks!

I agree that there should be more oxygen producers. Recently i was reading about photobioreactors. Those things are basically compact closed loop devices that produce oxygen using light and CO2 as well as extra mass that could be edible. You could build those things as a 3x3 building that requires light exposure and little amounts of CO2 piped in and output a steady stream of oxygen from an output pipe. Maybe should require clean water and output polluted as well.

Another idea i had was using phosphorite as an early source. It would produce phosphorus and little oxygen plus some heat.

There definitely should be a new oxygen generator, but I don't think it should use old things. I think it should be based around rocket travel, maybe powered using materials from other planets, or maybe some gravitas stuff found out in space, brought back to produce free oxygen. The later would need to be very slow or really hard to get to.

9 hours ago, ONIfreak said:

Plants available in other planet which produce oxygen but need sun exposure

I think one of the Gravitas logs mentioned oxygen producing plants as "priority". If they managed to make one that survived whatever happened to the facility then maybe we could find it somewhere on the asteroid or in space.

doesn't the terrarium basically do this?

On 1/10/2019 at 6:19 AM, Sasza22 said:

I agree that there should be more oxygen producers. Recently i was reading about photobioreactors. Those things are basically compact closed loop devices that produce oxygen using light and CO2 as well as extra mass that could be edible. You could build those things as a 3x3 building that requires light exposure and little amounts of CO2 piped in and output a steady stream of oxygen from an output pipe. Maybe should require clean water and output polluted as well.

Another idea i had was using phosphorite as an early source. It would produce phosphorus and little oxygen plus some heat.

8 hours ago, Kabrute said:

doesn't the terrarium basically do this?

My idea was a more advanced version of the terrarium that requires sunlight. It would also be something that if put inside a rocket would explain how a dupe can survive there with basically no input from outside.

Archived