Crude Oil to Natural Gas (Self Heat Balancing)

Heat Produced andUsed.

753 dtu/g of heating for Crude Oil to Sour Gas (From about 100 degree crude oil to 400 degree petroleum and then 400 degree petroleum to 540 degree Sour Gas)
-1338 dtu/g of cooling for Sour Gas to Methane and Sulfur (From 540 degree sour gas to -161.1 degree methane).
So aqua-tuner will produce 1338-753 = 585dtu/g of excess heat upon cooling as 753 g is getting used for heating.
If all Remaining Energy 585 dtu/g of is used to Methane heating which will give produced NG a heated Temperature rise of 266*3/2 = 399 degree for Balance(remember NG is only 2/3 of SG).
Final Temperature of NG = -161+399 = 238
Assumption that Aqua-tuner is not cooling itself so radiant coolant pipe and aquatuner should be well seperated for any effective heat transfer.

But We want only 100 degree of Final Temp (i.e. -161+100=261 degree of temp rise) for NG (As a Gas Tank will break at 125 degree if made from gold amalgam)
Then Only Energy consumed = 2/3 * 261*2.191 = 381.2 dtu/per g of crude oil converted.

Remaining Energy = 584.6-381.2 = 203.4 dtu/g of crude oil
If we can balance the Input amount of Crude oil for per loop of aqua-tuner heating then we can also balance the overall heat output by system to be zero.

Energy produced in one loop of Coolant through aqua-tuner for 1 g = -14*8.440 = 118.16 dtu/g
Energy produced in one loop of Coolant through aqua-tuner for 10 kg = 118.16*10000 = 1181600 dtu/g

We want such amount of Crude oil to be converted that it balances out and no energy remains.
Then We have : 1181600 dtu/g = 753 dtu/g * COil Amount + 203.4 dtu/g * COil Amount.
We get COil Amount = 1235.98 g of Crude Oil Input for every second.

You have to carefully control output temperature of NG by providing limited and balanced number of radiant pipes exposed to heating.
So NG output = 1235.98*2/3 = 823.98 g/s
Equivalent to running 9 Natural Gas generator in which 2 Generator required for running the system whole time.

It should work in Theory.
But At start Natural Gas will not be Running off So a Initial Heat Sink is needed to cool the sour gas initially so that natural gas will start going and cool the sour gas after that.

And also a initial heat sink for cooled super coolant is needed to heat the aqua tuner above 540 degree for starting making sour gas.
Also There is very little chance of running this system continuously for upper theory to work because if condensation occur then it occur for a lot of amount of gas and then wait for cooling again.

Current Design on which I am working.

5c3402d59b763_Screenshot(160).thumb.png.e1ba1229b24855099f03e5be6f80342b.png5c3402cfb13e6_Screenshot(159).thumb.png.19fcaf7c0fba8fb6cd51904614223000.png5c3402dab725b_Screenshot(161).thumb.png.1c4398882a668ad3d70c1e1238654da2.png5c3402dfe85f8_Screenshot(162).thumb.png.361f68af741208f12f872e2d93f11b50.png 

Almost Working. NG Producer.mp4

Screenshot (164).png

If you use a steam turbine to cool the sour gas down first you only need to cool from 227 degrees; but that runs into the opposite problem, where you don't have enough heat energy to heat up the crude from 100 degrees.

Maybe use a steam turbine, but pair it with a thermo sensor so it doesn't cool the sour gas too much?

(My sour gas condenser is sitting idle right now because of this issue. Though I've just discovered that high enough concentrations of gas can cause liquid vent overpressure, so maybe that's not such a bad thing :V)

8 hours ago, JackOverkill said:

i tried this kind of thing . but i always fail because the aquatuner cant generate enough heat

super coolant should have enough specific heat capacity for that, but using vulcanoes is still viable. 

9 hours ago, JackOverkill said:

i tried this kind of thing . but i always fail because the aquatuner cant generate enough heat

The problem is that the aquatuner needs to get the heat from somewhere (from the sour gas that you're condensing, normally, but if there isn't enough sour gas to condense it'll run out of heat for the boiling process). You'll want to run some calculations for this sort of thing.

If you're using oil from a leaky fissure (which is already close to boiling), you only need  373 kDTU/kg to convert it into sour gas. Cooling the sour gas from 540 degrees takes 1338 kDTU/kg. The aquatuner can transfer 1181.6 kDTU/s if using super coolant.

If you use a steam turbine to deal with the excess heat energy, you can precool the sour gas down to a minimum temperature of 227C. You only need to remove 738 kDTU/kg to get the gas down to methane temperatures in that case. You're not actually likely to get the gas temperature down to 227C before it enters the cooling chamber, mind, but it helps a fair bit, and generates free extra electricity.

You need to find another way to reheat the methane using this method, of course, but I just use it for external cooling. A few batteries can supply a bit of constant heat, for example.

56 minutes ago, jaramass said:

Hey! sorry if its of topic but it seems like its fairly common to cook crude oil into natural gas and not petroleum, how come?

Do the math.
1000g of crude oil cooked into petroleum equals 1000KJ with 250g of CO2 and 375g of PW generated.
1000g of crude oil cooked in natural gas equals 5333KJ with 150g of CO2 and 450g of PW generated.

6 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Do the math.
1000g of crude oil cooked into petroleum equals 1000KJ with 250g of CO2 and 375g of PW generated.
1000g of crude oil cooked in natural gas equals 5333KJ with 150g of CO2 and 450g of PW generated.

ah okay thanks! got to admit i avoid doing math like the plague when I'm not studying hehe

1 minute ago, jaramass said:

ah okay thanks! got to admit i avoid doing math like the plague when I'm not studying hehe

You do realize that the more you do something, the better you become at it, and the less effort you need to put into doing it, right? So avoiding it probably means you need to put more effort and time into doing the actual work than what the work plus doing it fun would take. :D

Just now, Saturnus said:

You do realize that the more you do something, the better you become at it, and the less effort you need to put into doing it, right? So avoiding it probably means you need to put more effort and time into doing the actual work than what the work plus doing it fun would take. :D

yeah probably but already gotta deal with some at uni but in the end i got no rational excuse ^^' 

On 09/01/2019 at 3:33 PM, Arcus2611 said:

If you use a steam turbine to deal with the excess heat energy, you can precool the sour gas down to a minimum temperature of 227C. You only need to remove 738 kDTU/kg to get the gas down to methane temperatures in that case. You're not actually likely to get the gas temperature down to 227C before it enters the cooling chamber, mind, but it helps a fair bit, and generates free extra electricity.

Does the steam turbine works with Sour Gas? I only used it with steam!
Edit:
I tested it last night - it only works with steam.

Archived