Need help with my Cooling machine

So, I use petroleum right now for my coolant.  I keep having it freeze and damage my pipes coming out of my coolers.  I have a pipe temp sensor that feeds two valves.  All my sensors are set to -30, so a good 27 above its freezing temp.  I only have it set that high because I kept damaging pipes and I figured if I brought the temp up it would allow a mistake every now and then, but this is multiple times every cycle.  If anyone knows of a better way to filter coolant so that when it is too cold you can pull it from your next cooler in a sequence, please let me know.

5c240c441e34c_Screenshot(48).thumb.png.99d6e7570f8ed2d5b332deed932d39e8.png

5c240c564e0b9_Screenshot(49).thumb.png.168d93ea424711bda5a1c26a71548ed6.png

5c240c629eaa3_Screenshot(50).thumb.png.5cdaa810ebb83c944b394b5acd572d9d.png

The problem is that your temp sensor and shutoff valves are not set-up ideally.

1. First of all you do not need two shutdown valves (it doesnt hurt though).
  2. But the main problem is that your shutdown valves are placed behind a junction. That means that even when those valves are shut, the junction will still split packages of liquid on a 50/50 ratio.
  3. Additionally the shutdown valve is placed 2 tiles behind the sensor. Meaning that all shut downs are basically 1 tick too early. Stopping the package in front of the measured one, while the measured one is sent through the non-blocked path. It works as you expect if the pipe is full, but if the there is no blocked package in front, the measured package will simply be forwarded on a 50/50 ratio because it arrives at a junction.

What you want to do is to place the shutdown valve on the pipe directly after the temp sensor. All white exits will have top priority, so as long as the shutdown valve is open, the liquid will be branched out there. If the temp sensor measures the disliked temperature, the valve will shut down and all liquid will go down the main path.

Check this post for a proper setup and more inspiration:

Sidenote: there is a even more atomic post on the shutdown valve by @Lifegrow, but i cant find it. Maybe he is able to provide it.

4 hours ago, blash365 said:

All white exits will have top priority

Not sure if this is a typo or not.  Are you saying that the valve needs to be on a straight line of pipe?  Where does the coolant go when the sensor is triggered?  Won't giving the coolant a place to go create another junction?  Also...

4 hours ago, blash365 said:

place the shutdown valve on the pipe directly after the temp sensor.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but my shutoffs are directly after the sensor are they not?

Ok, so I went back and reread the post you referred.  Honestly the first time it confused me.  I think I may understand now.  If I have a straight pipe and I put a shutoff perpendicular to the straight pipe, I have no junction.  Then I put my sensor that controls it directly behind it.  

This will ensure my sensor always activates and closes on the actual liquid that is triggering it?

I don't understand why KLEI doesn't create valves with there sensors.  I get that you may want to control other things than the flow of the liquid you are monitoring, but it seems like most of the time these sensors are for valving or filtering the contents of what they are measuring.  Why not just make a version of the sensor that is a valve so that you can make it clean and prevent all this liquid flow headache?

This is ridiculous.  I have tried multiple set ups.  How do you implement a temperature sensor into a game that doesnt work?  Why even put it in the game?  did they not even try and make a system with it?  What other reason would you use a temp sensor then to not run a liquid through a cooler if its already to low?  What build did the developers do that worked and they said, "that works?"  and if they did, why is it so hard to create?  

Ok, so I ended up doing this and it solved all my problems.  Thank you so much for the help and the links to the other posts.  I learned alot about using bridges and input output of piping.  Very confusing and poorly explained by klei, but w/e.

5c2518c4f2211_Screenshot(53).thumb.png.1baa7072f88597024eb125e4549c2b13.png

5c2518d22b434_Screenshot(54).thumb.png.930150bc03f8abc77c8dcfb1c5629e93.png

5c2518e47d57f_Screenshot(55).thumb.png.54eee98bad7fea02553b228705935b63.png

The reason for the reservoirs is because I was getting coolant that only needed 2 coolers running into coolant that needed 3 coolers.  It was all ticking along at the right speed, but would still cause a backup at the sensor for one tick.  Now, it makes sure everything runs through the piping at speed and any buildup with the number of coolers needed is buffered by the reservoirs.  Works pretty good so far.  Thanks again for the help.

This is needlessly complicated! I use braindead simple setup.

If i need to cool room to some level. I have temp sensor and pipe temp sensor.

You put pipe temp sensor on top of radiant pipe last block before exiting room to aquatuners and check for temperature to be 16C above (i use it for safety) freezing point +14 for each additional aquatuner. Dead simple, it just stops aquatuner.

Temp + pipe temp -> AND GATE -> first aquatuner

Need to cool some liquid instead of room? Same thing just dump liquid to that room keep everything same and have pump setup to suck liquid at set temperature. Done!

You need room with my setup even non dropping heat exchanger needs to be in insulated place. Remember heat exchanger works best in radiant pipes inside metal tiles surrounded by insulated tiles.

Archived