Items to take for a ruins run (or general combat ''expeditions'')

56 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

The gas wipes them out in a second after they get close to it. 

You just have to be quick enough to spray it before getting stun locked

Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know of any basic guides or just early goals to have in Hamlet?

2 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know of any basic guides or just early goals to have in Hamlet? Just to give me some sort of direction for a playstyle.

depends on wether or not you make your base in the pig city

and also depends on your skill
but really, going into deep jungle without pith hat or bug b' gone is 98% death

Just now, metallichydra said:

depends on wether or not you make your base in the pig city

and also depends on your skill
but really, going into deep jungle without pith hat or bug b' gone is 98% death

I wish there was a nice simple starting guide.

5 minutes ago, metallichydra said:

could try to make one, but i have no experience in doing so, and im not really that good at dont starve

Might be worth a quick one. There for sure isnt one elsewhere so it may be useful to a lot of people. At least some goals to have or priorities for the first 20-30 days.

I would also appreciate something talking about safe exploration in Hamlet. The jungles and how to deal with X, Y, Z mobs etc. Exploration is now more challenging than ever and I think a basic guide on being able to explore safer would also help as a part of a guide.

• locate important biomes

this is: the pig city, the lakes, the place where the deep rainforest touch the lake and the iron biome

when you find the pig city, grab some tea pods for your future wood farm. if you manege to get some oincs, check the shops for useful stuff:

1. cloth
  2. pine cones
  3. berriebushes
  4. backpack (in case you want some ekstra space before you get a science machine)
  5. shovel (in case you want some grass tufts, saplings or neetle plants before you get a science machine)
  6. pickaxe/flint (in case you got no flint, or found no caves)
  • find caves or go to caves you found earlier

(you can do this step before locating important biomes)

get some gold

• in case you dont have enough gold for: science machine, alchemy engine and lightning rod: look for more caves or steal some berries and sell to pigs so you can buy the needed gold, or chisel statues
  • find a good base location

usually near the point where lake touch deep rainforest (if there's a cave nearby, its probably the best spot for a base (inside the cave))

• make the basic structures:

science machine*, lightning rod*, fire pit*, drying racks, crockpots
(important structures is marked with an *, others is optional)

• plant your stuff

plant all your tea pods, pinecones, claw palm tree saplings, grass tufts and saplings

remember to fertilize the bushes. you should plant your grass tufts on non-civilized turf to get tall grass, which is prefered since it requires no fertilization and yields 2 grass if cut with shears

• kill some flytraps
  • put as many flytrap stalks as you want on the drying racks, but have atleast 1 left

dont kill all flytraps

• get 6 tuber for each flytrap stalk left

use this and the remaining flytrap stalks to make bug b' gone

• get some vines, atleast 3
  • get some cork
  • make pith hat
  • make alchemy engine (might have to do this earlier

get wood and rocks if you need

• get some wood, and make log suits, you'll need some of these
  • get some cork
  • make a cork boat
  • make a spear
  • go to the lake and place your boat in it
  • grab 8 reeds, and all flower lily's (the pink flowers, whatever they're called)

if a platapine spawns, kill it, it seem like you can stunlock it, but dont use your fists, use spear.

by now, you should have atleast 4 platapine quills, if not, find another lake and grab all lily flowers

• kill a hippotatomoose

do this on land

• make bird whistle
  • go somewhere a little far from your base
  • use it, and stand completely still
  • let the bird grab you

you should now be on the roc's island

• get ro bin, mine the eggs, find the 2 royal scepters
  • find the sinkhole and get back to your own island
  • find the pig ruin

bring bug b' gone, pith hat and log suits, it'll probably be humid season by now

• once you have located the pig ruins, go through them and get to the second island
  • when you arrive on the second island, locate the pig city
  • trade the scepters with the queen, or just 1 if you wanna keep 1
  • ´get the (priority):
  1. key to the city
  2. executive hammer
  3. can of silly string
  • you can get all 3 if you find the jeweled truffle in the ruins and chisel it
  • now you should head back to your base. (but if you got inventory space, and got the executive hammer, you can hammer down some pig houses and precraft some city structures)
  • back at your base, you can now begin to build your pig city
  • build your shops close to your base

if you want guards for protection, build the watchtowers a little far away, since they can do massive damage to both you and your base

• once you've got enough pig houses, you can bein killing the pigs for meat and pig skin, and since there's no guards, there's no risk: pig skin for helmets (or more houses) and meat (food).

pigs with additional drops: the worker pigs drop hammers: you can use these as weapons, hammer stuff, pans

so now you've got a food source.

my favorite way of killing the pigs is to pick some manure and kill the pig who gives me an oinc for picking up the manure. they will be so close they wont have time to flee before they die.

by now you got a food source and a source of pig skin (armor).

by now there's some optional things to do:

• get gems (1 red and 1 blue) (for neetle farm)
  • expand your tree farm (tea trees, you'll want a lot of these for lush season, unless you get the gems and make a neetle farm
  • farm oincs
  • get a horkiporkitator

getting the gems:

Spoiler

now, if you want a neetle farm, i hope you made your base near the place where the lake and deep rainforest touch each other, as this is the only place the neetlefarm can be

if you already have the gems, skip the part on how to get gems

here's how to get gems:

Spoiler
  • mine stalagmites (luck-based)
  • blow up suspicios cracks, there might be a hidden room behind, which could contain red or blue gems
  • roc's nest (but you probably already did this)
  • build skyworthy and get the gems from vanilla, RoG or shipwrecked

now, build a smelter

get some alloys (3 iron + smelter) and some ice (i think you also need gears, which are bought in the odditys shop)

now you can build a sprinkler

place it in the deep rainforest near the lake.

go find some neetles, dig them, and plant them near the sprinkler

you probably have to fertilize the plants

turn on the sprinkler, and keep it fueled. it dont have much fuel, so you have to be near the neetles until they are ready to be picked

as far as i know, you need 24 neetles to get through a lush season without sneezing. this applies only if you make neete rolls (3 neetles and 1 stick, i think)

5 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

Thanks for the help. Do you happen to know of any basic guides or just early goals to have in Hamlet? Just to give me some sort of direction for a playstyle.

If you want to live with the pigs get some shears and shave some bushes in the town to get clipings, then give them all to the pig that wants them to get a lot of oincs. With oincs you can buy food, gold antivenom,tools etc. and a home.

If your not feeling like living with the pigs,you can set up a base in a cave (NOT IN A TEMPLE because the apotkalypse will spawn ghost inside it everytime you enter a room ).

The caves main disadventage is darkness inside it however due to a bug you can make a eternal source of light If you leave a turned off lantern (it requires light bulbs so just hunt some glowflies till they drop alteast 2 lightbulbs) on the ground and exit the cave. However unlike the pig town the caves aren't far away from anything interesting so its easier to explore. And if you also menage to set up a base thats connected the roc's island, you will have multiple rooms. 

If you choose to live in a cave you have to secure your own source of food. If you have flowers near, then just kill butterflies and cook them with some random monster meat. If you don't have flowers near, catch some butterflies with a bug net and plant them near your home/cave. You can also buy berry bushes from the pigs or make farms. In case you need a endless source of meat, you have to mine some unimportant pillars and pick up as many moleworms as you can (don't kill them, just pick them up) and then release them outside your home/cave and once they make burrows you can kill them every dusk/night and they will respawn. To kill them simply throw a rock on the ground and wait till a moleworm  comes out of the ground to steal it and then just kill him. 

a home/cave base early on is really important in Hamlet because trying to set up a base on the outside is a nightmare.

You should make bug b'gone really early on because if you start doing it too late (10-11 day+), you might get destroyed by the rabid beetles. You might also want to make the cowl and a gas mask (that stupid bird either has to be stuck in a corner or be asleep if you want to pick his feathers) 

Personally i use the second season to explore the temples since the fog is a real pain.

The third season will infect you with hay fever. You to temporary remove the hay fever you need seed pots or nettle (i've never tried to make a nettle farm myself so i can't tell you the datails). It will also cause tubers to be edible,  making it a great source of food (raw ones will heal you more then the cooked ones, but the cooked ones will regain you more sanity). 

The temple with a pig statue leads to the 2nd pig city, where you can buy gears and much more so you might wanna rush it. Also if you found a scepter on the roc island you can give it to the Queen Mafala from the 2nd town. She will reward you with a key to unlock one of the 3 royal items 

- A key to the city, that allows you to build your very own city and collect taxes from it

- A Hammer, allowing you to destroy pig structures (be careful since its a crime) 

-A can of silly string  allowing you to merge worlds with Shipwrecked/RoG so you can get materials from both worlds. 

The poisonus jungle (gas mask required) has a temple with the aporkalypse calendar in one of the secret rooms (they have to be open using gunpowder) . Finding it will allow you to prevent the Aporkalypse that comes on day 61.

If you need any more advice I'll try to help

Awesome! My starts usually are pretty hectic, I usually go for the house first by stealing berries and shears. Then I get my crock pot and alchemy engine going. Next lightning rod and berry bushes. Then survival stuff so I can start checking ruins and other islands. Thats when my games usually end so far.

Well written guides. Learned a lot. I would love to hear a little more about bases. Considering i think its important. What about caves and the particular biomes you mentioned make for a good base location? Why would someone base with pigs over not doing it?

I've been playing a little Wolfgang. Not a big fan so far but very little combat at this point. I seem to spend a lot of oincs on food and it seems to drain fast. I tried Wendy but Abigail triggering traps and getting into jungle fights just became tedious. Especially when i can buy a guard for a day.

Also noticed you both mentioned log suits. Is this mostly for combat in humid season where you need the head slot for pith hat? Or is a strategy to say.. save pig skins or something?

1 hour ago, metallichydra said:
  • locate important biomes

this is: the pig city, the lakes, the place where the deep rainforest touch the lake and the iron biome

when you find the pig city, grab some tea pods for your future wood farm. if you manege to get some oincs, check the shops for useful stuff:

1. cloth
  2. pine cones
  3. berriebushes
  4. backpack (in case you want some ekstra space before you get a science machine)
  5. shovel (in case you want some grass tufts, saplings or neetle plants before you get a science machine)
  6. pickaxe/flint (in case you got no flint, or found no caves)
  • find caves or go to caves you found earlier

(you can do this step before locating important biomes)

get some gold

• in case you dont have enough gold for: science machine, alchemy engine and lightning rod: look for more caves or steal some berries and sell to pigs so you can buy the needed gold, or chisel statues
  • find a good base location

usually near the point where lake touch deep rainforest (if there's a cave nearby, its probably the best spot for a base (inside the cave))

• make the basic structures:

science machine*, lightning rod*, fire pit*, drying racks, crockpots
(important structures is marked with an *, others is optional)

• plant your stuff

plant all your tea pods, pinecones, claw palm tree saplings, grass tufts and saplings

remember to fertilize the bushes. you should plant your grass tufts on non-civilized turf to get tall grass, which is prefered since it requires no fertilization and yields 2 grass if cut with shears

• kill some flytraps
  • put as many flytrap stalks as you want on the drying racks, but have atleast 1 left

dont kill all flytraps

• get 6 tuber for each flytrap stalk left

use this and the remaining flytrap stalks to make bug b' gone

• get some vines, atleast 3
  • get some cork
  • make pith hat
  • make alchemy engine (might have to do this earlier

get wood and rocks if you need

• get some wood, and make log suits, you'll need some of these
  • get some cork
  • make a cork boat
  • make a spear
  • go to the lake and place your boat in it
  • grab 8 reeds, and all flower lily's (the pink flowers, whatever they're called)

if a platapine spawns, kill it, it seem like you can stunlock it, but dont use your fists, use spear.

by now, you should have atleast 4 platapine quills, if not, find another lake and grab all lily flowers

• kill a hippotatomoose

do this on land

• make bird whistle
  • go somewhere a little far from your base
  • use it, and stand completely still
  • let the bird grab you

you should now be on the roc's island

• get ro bin, mine the eggs, find the 2 royal scepters
  • find the sinkhole and get back to your own island
  • find the pig ruin

bring bug b' gone, pith hat and log suits, it'll probably be humid season by now

• once you have located the pig ruins, go through them and get to the second island
  • when you arrive on the second island, locate the pig city
  • trade the scepters with the queen, or just 1 if you wanna keep 1
  • ´get the (priority):
  1. key to the city
  2. executive hammer
  3. can of silly string
  • you can get all 3 if you find the jeweled truffle in the ruins

will do rest of guide later

I can't wait to see the rest! I think this should maybe be its own thread. And other people can add to it as Hx380 did.

1 minute ago, HarperDS said:

Awesome! My starts usually are pretty hectic, I usually go for the house first by stealing berries and shears. Then I get my crock pot and alchemy engine going. Next lightning rod and berry bushes. Then survival stuff so I can start checking ruins and other islands. Thats when my games usually end so far.

Well written guides. Learned a lot. I would love to hear a little more about bases. Considering i think its important. What about caves and the particular biomes you mentioned make for a good base location? Why would someone base with pigs over not doing it?

I've been playing a little Wolfgang. Not a big fan so far but very little combat at this point. I seem to spend a lot of oincs on food and it seems to drain fast. I tried Wendy but Abigail triggering traps and getting into jungle fights just became tedious. Especially when i can buy a guard for a day.

Also noticed you both mentioned log suits. Is this mostly for combat in humid season where you need the head slot for pith hat? Or is a strategy to say.. save pig skins or something?

Basing with pigs grants you easy access to oincs, food, gold etc. and guards protection (although sometimes they are the ones who cause the danger by burning your things). Also the roc won't land In the city. The city is usually far away from all the stuff you need so that's also a disadventage. If you depend too much on them, the aporkalypse can destroy you completely because not a single pig will come out and all the shops will be closed until you stop it. 

Wolfgang has a strong hunger drain so its natural for him to eat a lot,  so you have get your own sources of food or you will be spending quite a lot of oincs. Don't feed him completely unless your going to a fight 

Caves are generally good because they are closer to anything than the house, they are free and they can't be destroyed. The cave with the access to the roc island has additional rooms while a house will always have only one room. 

As for the important biomes mentioned above :

The pig city grants you access to the shops and a house

The lakes has lily's which are good for health and sanity and they can spawn platapines which are a source of meat and they are neccesary for the bird whistle to summon the roc. They also have :

-Hippos which drop a lot of meat

-Frogs which drop poisonous meat, but they can be dried to make it edible or you can make venom gland from them

-Mosquitos which drop weak healing items 

- Reeds which can be used to make a bird cage, books (if you are playing Wickerbottom)  and some other usefull stuff

The place where deep rain forest touches the lake is apparently the only place where you can farm nettle 

Iron biome provides you:

-A endless source of flint/stone/iron by mining the gnat mound

-Thunderbird feathers

-Tuber trees which you can cut with machete. Before the 3rd season they can be used to make bug b'gone, in the 3rd season they become a powerful source of food. 

You can save pig skins if you want since they have many uses such as cowl, or every pig building once you get a key to the city and much more. 

Also in case you didn't notice,  "Pig skin?" dropped by vampire bats works exactly the same as the usuall pig skin. 

6 minutes ago, Hx380 said:

Basing with pigs grants you easy access to oincs, food, gold etc. and guards protection (although sometimes they are the ones who cause the danger by burning your things). Also the roc won't land In the city. The city is usually far away from all the stuff you need so that's also a disadventage. If you depend too much on them, the aporkalypse can destroy you completely because not a single pig will come out and all the shops will be closed until you stop it. 

Wolfgang has a strong hunger drain so its natural for him to eat a lot,  so you have get your own sources of food or you will be spending quite a lot of oincs. Don't feed him completely unless your going to a fight 

Caves are generally good because they are closer to anything than the house, they are free and they can't be destroyed. The cave with the access to the roc island has additional rooms while a house will always have only one room. 

As for the important biomes mentioned above :

The pig city grants you access to the shops and a house

The lakes has lily's which are good for health and sanity and they can spawn platapines which are a source of meat and they are neccesary for the bird whistle to summon the roc. They also have :

-Hippos which drop a lot of meat

-Frogs which drop poisonous meat, but they can be dried to make it edible or you can make venom gland from them

-Mosquitos which drop weak healing items 

- Reeds which can be used to make a bird cage, books (if you are playing Wickerbottom)  and some other usefull stuff

The place where deep rain forest touches the lake is apparently the only place where you can farm nettle 

Iron biome provides you:

-A endless source of flint/stone/iron by mining the gnat mound

-Thunderbird feathers

-Tuber trees which you can cut with machete. Before the 3rd season they can be used to make bug b'gone, in the 3rd season they become a powerful source of food. 

You can save pig skins if you want since they have many uses such as cowl, or every pig building once you get a key to the city and much more. 

Also in case you didn't notice,  "Pig skin?" dropped by vampire bats works exactly the same as the usuall pig skin. 

Great explanation. And I usually use the skins liberally, I was asking if that was the reason you both mentioned using log suits over football helmets. Or if it was because of the humid season.

Any reasons to visit the Roc nest more than once? I usually just leave the city once i see him flying over and he lands.

Just now, HarperDS said:

Great explanation. And I usually use the skins liberally, I was asking if that was the reason you both mentioned using log suits over football helmets. Or if it was because of the humid season.

Well, the log suits are cheap, they give good protection and don't slow you down so its a good choice for the humid season. 

When its not the humid season you can use both at the same time

1 minute ago, Hx380 said:

Well, the log suits are cheap, they give good protection and don't slow you down so its a good choice for the humid season. 

What are some good easy sources of food? I think im going to work on finding ways to sustain myself and just live while I explore and wiki all the different mobs and such. I dont really expect to get a full year right now, so maybe just sustaining easily and learning more will be the best route.

2 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

What are some good easy sources of food? I think im going to work on finding ways to sustain myself and just live while I explore and wiki all the different mobs and such. I dont really expect to get a full year right now, so maybe just sustaining easily and learning more will be the best route.

Butterflies, moleworms,berries, farms, pikos (you can use traps), lake lily's and frogs are the easy ones

4 minutes ago, HarperDS said:

What do you think about the strategy I imposed? And any tips for such a strategy?

I think itt's good

I was doing the same 

I still have to learn a lot myself since im terrible at fighting all the bosses xD

1 minute ago, Hx380 said:

I think itt's good

I was doing the same 

I still have to learn a lot myself since im terrible at fighting all the bosses xD

So basically just need food and maybe sapling/grass farm? Or whats some good sustain?

On 12/20/2018 at 1:54 PM, HarperDS said:

I just started Hamlet and im wondering what are good items, food, tools to take with you during a ruins exploration? Or also just a journey away from base where you plan on getting into combat and such. Healing items, food, tools, etc.

armor mainly football helmets weapons 

2 lanterns in case one goes out and a bat cowl to see the entire room

gunpowder and torch for cracks

stack of twigs, some grass and flint for torches, tools, traps

iron for ball pein hammers and disarming tools if you want blow darts

backpack to carry more relics

antivenom if you want to be safe

food like meatballs, turkey dinner and waffles 

buy some healing items from the mud spa

some of this is a bit overkill but still useful 

10 hours ago, Hx380 said:

they do slow you down, but you can use pith hat at the same time as log suit, unlike football helmet

and in humid season, if you are in the deep rainforest, you'll very often (constantly) encounter rapid beetles

if the fog appears while there's a lot of rapid beetles you have 3 options:

• take of all your armor so you can flee (thats a big risk)
  • use armor and tank the beetles (certain death)
  • use your log suit as armor and pith hat (or cowl, but i doub you'll have one by day 11) as hat (now you can flee while still wearing armor)

14 hours ago, metallichydra said:
  • back at your base, you can now begin to build your pig city
  • build your shops close to your base
  • build the pig houses near your base

if you want guards for protection, build the watchtowers a little far away, since they can do massive damage to both you and your base

• once you've got enough pig houses, you can begin killing pigs for meat and pig skin, and since there's no guards, there's no risk: pig skin for helmets (or more houses) and meat (food)

pigs with additional drops: the worker pigs drop hammers: you can use these as weapons, hammer stuff, pans

so now you've got a food source.

my favorite way of killing the pigs is to pick some manure and kill the pig who gives me an oinc for picking up the manure. they will be so close they wont have time to flee before they die.

by now you got a food source and a source of pig skin (armor).

by now there's some optional things to do:

• get gems (1 red and 1 blue) (for neetle farm)
  • expand your tree farm (tea trees, you'll want a lot of these for lush season, unless you get the gems and make a neetle farm
  • farm oincs
  • get a horkiporkitator

getting the gems:

Reveal hidden contents

now, if you want a neetle farm, i hope you made your base near the place where the lake and deep rainforest touch each other, as this is the only place the neetlefarm can be

if you already have the gems, skip the part on how to get gems

here's how to get gems:

Reveal hidden contents
  • mine stalagmites (luck-based)
  • blow up suspicios cracks, there might be a hidden room behind, which could contain red or blue gems
  • roc's nest (but you probably already did this)
  • build skyworthy and get the gems from vanilla, RoG or shipwrecked

now, build a smelter

get some alloys (3 iron + smelter) and some ice (i think you also need gears, which are bought in the odditys shop)

now you can build a sprinkler

place it in the deep rainforest near the lake.

go find some neetles, dig them, and plant them near the sprinkler

you probably have to fertilize the plants

turn on the sprinkler, and keep it fueled. it dont have much fuel, so you have to be near the neetles until they are ready to be picked

as far as i know, you need 24 neetles to get through a lush season without sneezing. this applies only if you make neete rolls (3 neetles and 1 stick, i think)

expanding your tree farm:

Spoiler

chop the tea trees, plant 2 for each chopped tea tree.

if you havent go many trees, go to the civilized area and chop some tea trees and bring bak the tea pogs (remember the logs, you can use those for chests, armor and stuff)

getting oincs:

there is 2 ways of geting oincs
trading with the pigs

Spoiler
  • if you found a hedge maze at the secnd island, go there and use shears on all the hedges, ou can trade the hedge clippings for 1 oinc each (unlimited trades)
  • if you are webber, you can sell silk and glands to the oddity shop for 3 oincs each (unlimited trades)
  • you can sell berries to the green pigs with glasses for 4 oincs each
  • nightmare fuel can be sold for 5 oincs to the magician pig
  • picking up manure gives 1 oinc

using the pig bank

Spoiler

my favorite, but it requires you to be good at dodging guards

and it also requires you to have the executive hammer

• build a bank
  • get a lot of pig skin
  • enter your bank, equip armor and weapon.
  • kill the banke pig
  • you can kill the guards, or dodge their attacks
  • steal everything in the bank: nitre, rock*, charcoal, centapiece oinc*, tenpiece oinc*, gold nugget*
  • you have to steal stuff marked with *, everything else is optional
  • exit the bank
  • destroy itwith the executive hammer
  • repeat

lets see what the price was, and what you got:

cost: 2 pig skin, 2 cut stne (6 rocks), 1 gold nugget (this is because you get backhalf the resources when you destroy the bank)

stuf you got: 6 rocks, 1 gold nugget, 110 oincs.

you got back the rocks and gold nuggets, so here's what you really get for the real price:

2 pig skin = 110 oincs (and some nitre and charcoal if you also stole that)(i dont know, but i think you can also hammer the desk to get 1 board)

thats a lot of oincs for a few pig skin, right?

and you made your own pig city, without guards, so you got enough pig skin.

you can use the oincs to buy food, weapons, healing items, whatever you want.

getting a horkiporkitator:

Spoiler

make a boomerang, or buy one

kill kingfishers or pigeons

build te horkiporkitator

you can buld a shadow manipulator by:

getting living logs (elder mandrakes or magic shop)

getting purple gem (if you got one from roc's island, got enough blue and red gems, r found one in a hdden room, or if you throw 3 nihtmare fuel into the end's well)

gettig nightmare fuel (go insane, kill shadow monsters)

Archived