is there any real benefit to playing as webber over wilson? i mean he has half the sanity a weaker beard that produces silk which isnt that hard to find off SpiderMonkey

he can eat slugs and bean bugs without penalty but if you have good income then you just eat at the deli 

spider friends will trigger traps and pig guards will burn down nests making them non renewable

and he needs to keep shamlets on to not get murdered by pigs but if it is foggy or hayfeaver you have to where other hats

unless there is secrit benefit to webber please tell me

idk what would make him better but Klei is creative im sure they will find away

i just want to play my main without guilt 

23 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

is there any real benefit to playing as webber over wilson? i mean he has half the sanity a weaker beard that produces silk which isnt that hard to find off SpiderMonkey

he can eat slugs and bean bugs without penalty but if you have good income then you just eat at the deli 

spider friends will trigger traps and pig guards will burn down nests making them non renewable

and he needs to keep shamlets on to not get murdered by pigs but if it is foggy or hayfeaver you have to where other hats

It is unfortunately true that Webber is strongly disadvantaged in Hamlet, I sympathize ... In addition to spidermonkeys who are not friends with him, his only advantage is to easily have silk :/

he has infinite swashy hat (not the shamlet mask), easy access to lots of silk, which can be sold at sty's oddities emperium for 3 oincs each, same goes for glands as far as i know can also be sold at hatmaker, for 5 oincs, but only once each day.
he can eat monstermeat without penalty, and has protecton from his spiders.

50 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

You don't have to base inside pig city, your beard makes it way easier to get the silk, planting the spider eggs somewhere else than the city will prevent it from getting burnedburned, Shamlet mask is a infinite bandit mask, the sanity is way easier to heal, you can eat monster meat freely, you can make more spider eggs and the spider gorilla's web won't slow you down. 

It is the Wilson who's without a real benefit. 

Webber in my opinion, has always been the "minimal survivalist" of don't starve. Maybe Klei didn't design him to be that way intentionally but this is what his kit scream at me.

The initial problem is that the game he came in (well dlc, but RoG is pretty much just vanilla+), said game didn't need such a role because food is not an issue to come by and that the resources he generate are plenty too. The only advantage he had back then was the beard insulation...but that's nothing since preparing for winter clothing is easy. Basically in RoG his kit was negated by the game itself, rendering him nul with a lot of downsides.

Then Shipwrecked happened and not much changed for the spider boy. His beard is now only useful for silk, food is still plenty and spider nests are just a little bit uncommon here. And his spider friends can't follow him from island to island. His kit is actually very useful in dst when you join servers that are 12+ days in. But that's about it.

Now for hamlet. Many people seem to think that webber is at a disadvantage while this expansion/dlc not only buffed webber, but it's early game actually make use of his kit:

• Hamlet use the trading with the cities as the lung mechanic for getting around. Like food for example. Webber ignore all of this by just eating monster meat as he fights. Allowing him to rush the second island with no food problems.
  • He starts with his nest. In this dlc spiders are unique to him without merging worlds. This is basically a good source of food and silk (which I would use for a top hat in this for sanity) at his disposal. This is also the only dlc I would consider his ability to craft nests to be a useful thing too.
  • Since he can ignore a big part of the pig market early on, he can prioritize on stuff like early gear and tam o shanter with no repercussion.
  • The whole shamlet mask trickery some people keep talking about.
  • You can bring this mask into RoG (Or you just start with it if you make a RoG world with hamlet compatibility enabled) which let you interact with regular pigs, bunnymen and catcoons just like an ordinary character would. Eliminating the biggest downside webber had at end game. 
  • While his beard isn't really strong in hamlet since you don't really freeze or overheat...it's just a silk generator and some sanity gain upon shaving. At least silk is kinda valuable in some way in hamlet. Did you know that you can sell silk for 3 oincs without a daily limit? Big money to be made here on the silk trade.

Overall hamlet is the dlc where webber is at his strongest and he indirectly received a buff for RoG and shipwrecked. it's a shame people don't see it because they don't really know how to play him.

14 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

because food is not an issue to come by and that the resources he generate are plenty too. The only advantage he had back then was the beard insulation...but that's nothing since preparing for winter clothing is easy. Basically in RoG his kit was negated by the game itself, rendering him nul with a lot of downsides.

well you could rush ruins for the spiders dont attack you and get spitters and armor spiders to straighten your posse plus you can use the monster meat and a dessert biome cactus for year round perogies!

and use the spiders as cannon fodder for hounds

and in dst you can use glands to rez ppl

Archived