Unify delivery tasks

Lately i noticed my engineer with high tinker priority kept getting slimelung as the only dupe in my base. I was puzzled until i noticed that delivering clay to the kiln is a tinker task rather than a delivery task. This is unintuitional and can lead to problems. Lets say you want to use your clay for th kiln first and the feed the extra to hatches. Your kiln priority will be higher than the feeder but the clay will be delivered to the feeder first if the dupe that picks it up has a higher delivery priority than the tinker one. Well this one is not that bad.

Now lets imagine delivering eggs to the incubator becomes a ranch task but the egg cracker remains at deliver. Instead of loading the incubator the dupe might break the egg even if the priority is lower. This is why all delivery should be under the same priority.

Note that for now incubator seems to be a deliver task but repeir delivery is uder storage for some reason. I`m not sure if other delivery is mislabelled as well.

This suggestion needs more love. *push*

Maybe this was meant for spreading the overall abundance of delivery tasks over more dupes? However, I'd rather have more delivery dupes, and reduce travel time for the remaining ones.

The system in its current state might make a lot sense, actually, if you assume that the dupe delivering the material is also the one who directly starts to work with that very material. So, this might be meant to reduce travel time, which would be good. However, in that case, it would be nice if the task the delivery to a certain building requires would be indicated somewhere - or might even be influenceable by the player?

2 hours ago, Lepeightl said:

The system in its current state might make a lot sense, actually, if you assume that the dupe delivering the material is also the one who directly starts to work with that very material.

There is a thread about gastrophobic dupes stuck delivering ingredients too electric grills as you can`t modify their cooking priority and ingredient deliver is a cook task. It`s good on paper but in reality it causes a lot of trouble. Maybe there should be a "deliver to job task" checkbox that would make dupes deliver themeselves for the task they are about to do that you can disable to rely on conveyors and courier dupes. This would make dupes act more logically and not deliver stuff and randomly not do anything with it and not run around with random deliver tasks wehn actual work is to be done.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

There is a thread about gastrophobic dupes stuck delivering ingredients too electric grills as you can`t modify their cooking priority and ingredient deliver is a cook task.

Ah, now I got that problem. Wouldn't that be solved by changing the 'Cannot do errand' to an unmodifiable 'Disallowed'? This seems rather buggy than something intended... Probably there's actually a grey area between Delivery and other tasks?

It`s good on paper but in reality it causes a lot of trouble.

Well, it happened actually rather often that I watched dupes delivering something to a station and immediately getting to work, which I found always neat. So, it works, occasionally.

This probably becomes a problem as soon as the quantities that have to be delivered are far greater than what that dupes can deliver with one trip, so they'll end up running forth and back multiple times, and do more delivering than, well, what we think would be their actual priority.

Maybe there should be a "deliver to job task" checkbox that would make dupes deliver themeselves for the task they are about to do that you can disable to rely on conveyors and courier dupes.

Sounds good.

Would that be applied to dupes or the machine? I'd favor to control individual machines, so it would be possible to still spread tasks more evenly between delivery dupes/conveyor systems and the other dupe.

Followed the link from the other thread about Kilns, and I fully agree.  I'd like to see the supply task priority completely disappear to be honest, and then just fold them into the task type instead.  I always prefer my builders supply their own materials, but in order to make this work I have to give them similar build and supply priorities.  Usually I go with max for build and then 1 down from max for supply and this works well.  However, this also means if there is nothing to build (or stuff to build, but waiting for material to be supplied) they will just do whatever supply task they want.  For some reason, 90% of the time this seems to be delivering slime to mushrooms, which I prefer is only done by my farmer.  In order to get around this, I've just been using door permissions and only allow my farmers, cook and janitors into the farm areas.  It would be much easier if supplying farm tiles was under the farm task and supplying build tasks was under build.

Archived