Bristle Blossom vs Mealwood ! [TU 211197]

Let the plant fight begin !

Spoilers warning :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C2ZXPtjIkSwRw0x3iJSYSzx21buHl_1LhzRzXxkzf-o/edit?usp=sharing

So basically Bristle Blossoms require a cooler environment and longer growth but they are a better choice in the long run.

Spoiler

Calories per cycle :

• Mealwood : 450 kcal
  • Bristle Blossom : 555.56 kcal

I hope some players find this useful ^^

Notes :

• Meal Lice can be cooked (requires water & power) to double the amount of calories.
  • As of patch 211197 Mealwood does not produce seeds (you can however harvest early to get a seed back and replant - but much micro)
  • Bristle Berries take 10x less space per Kcal to store !

The flowers are much better than they used to be only because the devs buffed the output to 2 flowers per harvest.  You can't cook with them yet, unlike mealwood, which you can easily drag out by turning the raw lice into lice-loaf.  Clearly, they meant for the mealwood to be an early food stuff and should be replaced with flowers.  I guess the devs are vegetarians? :D

49 minutes ago, ShamPeiN said:

i like 1500rations so i sweep food up.

only if you harvest in time, plant grows old and drops food, which can be very slow process making blossom like 250 cal/cycle , ofc same with mealwood

you are welcome on wiki https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Plants

sortable table i extended a bit lately but seems there is more to add

Should have known someone had done this :p

Thanks for pointing it out. Wanna complete it ? I checked it but didnt work for me.

Just now, PickPay said:

Should have known someone had done this :p

Thanks for pointing it out. Wanna complete it ? I checked it but didnt work for me.

i will later, im a bit tired. click on edit source, bars for columns, for each name you need enclose. make a curse account to show your name

i used " - " for briars 

Life cycle for flower is 28 days if not harvested.  So 10000/28 = 357.143 kcal per day.  Grown this way you need 2.8 => 3 flower per dupe for the 1000 kcal needs.  Fertilizer needs will be the same but the rate is smaller.  (3 flowers * 4 kg * 18 "growing" cycles) / 28 cycles => 7.71429 kg per flower per cycle.

P.S. There was a bug with flowers consuming fertilizer even when not growing.  I don't know if that is fixed in current version 211197.

Just now, PickPay said:

I made the distinction between the weight of a seed (Storage Compactor ) and the weight per kcal (Fridge or Food box)

Ah, my bad, that is a seed weight. Though that still is only 1 kg according to my storage compactor.

20170323223232_1.jpg

16 hours ago, Vilda said:

Ah, my bad, that is a seed weight. Though that still is only 1 kg according to my storage compactor.

Yea the seed is 1 Kg (thats crazy heavy...) and the weight for an equivalent of 1000 kcal is 10kg check Fridge/Food box ;)

24 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Yea the seed is 1 Kg (thats crazy heavy...) and the weight for an equivalent of 1000 kcal is 10kg check Fridge/Food box ;)

I feel like you did not understand what I meant at the beginning. I am pointing out that your 2.875 kg number for BB is wrong. Both for weight per seed and weight per kcal

22 minutes ago, Vilda said:

I feel like you did not understand what I meant at the beginning. I am pointing out that your 2.875 kg number for BB is wrong. Both for weight per seed and weight per kcal

Sorry I totally missed that in your screenshot. I'm not sure anymore where I got the number from but I just checked it again and seed weight is now indeed 1Kg for BB but check out my screenshot, so there are bugs somewhere cuz that value is yet different still (1.1Kg)

20170324160008_1.jpg

EDIT : emptied Fridge and filled it up again, it now displays 1Kg... sorry for insisting. Maybe something that got changed over versions or a bug. So Mealwood takes 10x the Fridge space ! Thanks for your diligence.

On a related note, I had read that it was better to eat meal lice raw but I've also read that making lice loaf actually doubles the calorie worth of them.  Could someone clarify the math on which is right?

20 hours ago, Fatmice said:

Clearly, they meant for the mealwood to be an early food stuff and should be replaced with flowers.  I guess the devs are vegetarians? :D

Aren't meal lice supposed to be a plant-based lifeform that just happens to crawl around? :)

5 minutes ago, RKBKirin said:

On a related note, I had read that it was better to eat meal lice raw but I've also read that making lice loaf actually doubles the calorie worth of them.  Could someone clarify the math on which is right?

Eating raw was true on first versions when water was scarce and lost in transit. Doubling from cooking is true because it takes 5 kg of lice (500 kcal) plus water and makes 1000 kcal from it. Worth it in my opinion , in TU water is plentiful.

Good point, forgot the cooking part (because of water consumption that used to be an issue), I added that in the notes. So once cooked does that mean it doubles the calorie count per cycle bringing it to 900 kcal ? which makes it better than BB ?!

Archived