No Night/Day Cycle

It makes no sense inside an asteroid.  Same for creatures living only at night.

It is like the caverns in don't starve.

Instead, maybe make the dupes able to build a clock (with metal or power or whatever), in order to be able to organize shifts beetween dupes.

Let the player organize that day/night shifting by assigning dupes to bed at some times (and decide how much time does a day last) !

Might be awesome if each dupe had its own sleep cycle which were affected by the massage table and the medical cot and things like that, but I bet they do a universal sleep time because it saves computer resources.

I do like the idea of being able to set up schedules for the dupes, each day.. but it could have two downfalls...
1. it has potential to add more stress to micromanaging the colony.
2. It could make the game too much like Rimworld.

The idea of having to do research to create a clock, is brilliant, though... and setting up sleep (and work, leasure, etc) schedules from there. That could be a very unique way to set ONI apart. However, I feel like it would need to be balanced, so people couldn't just have a colony that sleeps 1h (if at all) and constantly works.. there should be an optimal amount of sleep to reduce (the risk of) added stress.

I really like the idea of assigning the day/night or work schedules for dupes, its actually kind of reminiscent of  an old Outerlimits episode which is actually very fitting for the setting of this game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasis_(The_Outer_Limits). Perhaps if the devs go this route they could add it as a late game research for saving dupes with good skills when managing a large population colony. 

I like this idea - this way you can plan out the sleeping intervals of your duplicants and constantly have some duplicants up and on the manual generators (hamster wheels).

Definitely hope this is added! This would for sure allow for better management of the duplicants in the colony. It would also be nice to have the duplicants scheduled to do things at a certain time, such as eat, medicine, etc.

Or have it blink on your computer screens like  screen saver when they aren't being used.

I think this is a good idea. Would save resources and space since you could double book every cot. It's how they do it in navy submarines - have sleep shifts and work shifts.

i would like the clock but same time sleep is for saving game and simulating stuff i think, 2 shifts would be okay.

i would like sheduling obligatory eating time. also a "give a day off for this duplicant " command. he/she couldnt work that day, a building would give a ticket for dupe (so no executions or accidents using this) then the dupe would do random actions releasing stress. opposite of stress should be present, like mood. storing good mood would allow handling more stress. max mood would depend on shower, food type, variation, etc. on day off dupes could be commanded to eat certain calorie even if not hungry(new recipe:dessert, made from sweet dirt, small 100 calorie pieces) /sleep a bit or relax,toilet run if bladder percent is close (95% would go and wait line).

the things i dont like, they cant go to toilet in time, they pop up toilet sign, still go for job then turn back, also closer to nighttime they shouldnt go far from bed, so maybe design a "border" system where they cant leave base at certain hour. if they catch breath outside base they miss all night.

I think the Cycles thing makes sense, but it might be cool for the duplicants to have individual cycle styles where they go to bed at different times. The "Night Owl" trait would make more sense for this, they stay up later but then they also wake up later.  The early birds can get up before everyone else. I think it should part of the duplicant creation and not anything that you can manually change or manage but have to deal with how the dice are dealt, so to speak.

As something I wanted to suggest ist pretty close to pierreblind's idea I just hijack this thread 

Keep the day night cycles but still make use of shifts. Like in Star Trek when it is supposed to be "night" the light on the whole ship dims.
Never mess with people's sleeping schedules! 

I am thinking of a more or less simple system. Imagine a 12 digit clock in each dupe's detail window. This clock represents the whole cycle. You can drag&drop two markers around the clock to set start and endtimes for shifts.

Have a designated chef or technicians which have to "prepare breakfast" or refuel things? Let their shift begin one time-unit earlier so you have everything going before the other dupe's shift starts.

Night would be from "10 to 2" on the clock representing 1/3 of each cycle.

Dupes don't like to work on nightshifts so maybe you have to cycle the shifts a bit before they get too stressed. Or you have night owls which either favor to work at night but get stressed on the dayshift (negative trait) or simply don't mind working in the night (positive trait)
Early Birds work best from 2 to 6 and there might be a negative trait for dupes to regularly miss their shifts by a half time-unit.

I like the clock idea. Make it a building of 3x3, shaped like a T upside down and looking like a trainstation clock. 2 energy outlets on the bottom and the clock switches energy on/off depending on the times you set on the clock.
Save energy by turning off the "kitchen devices" if you know no one is using these buildings for the next 8 time-units.

With that base more complex dupe behaviour may be possible like free time on a cycle sitting on a bar (stress relief/food), a theatre (stress relief/decor) or even a school (learning). But you need other dupes (best chef/artist/scientist) working there, having another shift schedule.
Bodybuilder dupes might prefer a sport studio and architects...well this is another thing.

Back to topic: Shifts while keeping day-night-cycles. Yay! Hands up for that great idea! \o/

Agreed, keep the cycle, but adding the shifts is a great idea. It also opens the possibility up of 'hot bunking' so that Duplicates could share cots and save on space, but this could then have a negative side effect associated like reducing their sanitation level, or not providing as much rest as their own cot would...?

Archived