Super Cooled Gasses

So, I managed to create 68.3kg worth of solid CO2 (which wasn't actually in the system -that's a massive amount of CO2) by cycling CO2 through 2 thermal Thermo Regulators. Here's the thing though, your game WILL crash once anything reaches a temperature below -273.15C (which will happen since it seems the thermo regulators drop their temperature at a constant rate). Since it seems that gas is created doing this process.. maybe I can do this with oxygen and have a net production of oxygen? Additionally, if the material dropped had ambient temperature emissions.. then it'd be even more efficient at cooling things down.

Untitled.png

Oh my goodness.. it is now 837.3kg worth of CO2 in that one little ball. It seems there is no temperature emissions though.

But that conservation of mass, wow!

Untitled.png

Super cooled oxygen turns to liquid state, and very quickly sublimates back into gas. Doing so cools down the area VERY quickly.

Untitled.png

This is super cool (kek)

I had experimented with cooling down gases in my save, but survival started getting in the way of my experiments. I never thought to run the gases in a closed circuit, i was daisy chaining 5 of them them together. Only useful thing i found was cooling down co2 to make it keep the temperature of the base at a nice 21 degrees.

6 minutes ago, mrCarlton said:

This is super cool (kek)

I had experimented with cooling down gases in my save, but survival started getting in the way of my experiments. I never thought to run the gases in a closed circuit, i was daisy chaining 5 of them them together. Only useful thing i found was cooling down co2 to make it keep the temperature of the base at a nice 21 degrees.

I placed them outside of my base so i'm not affected by the thermo's outward heat generation. Additionally, in my new setup, I attached the initial input to a gas filter. This let me pump out carbon dioxide out of my base as well as cycle cold oxygen down into my plants. I am currently chaining 6 of them. This does 2 things: first, the gas only has to pass through each one of them once in order to reach a decent cooling temperature. Second, it saves on energy as I can simply flip my gas pump on for a fraction of a cycle to cool my plants for quite a decent period of time.

Untitled.png

I might definitely add another 6 above that so that my vent just drips liquid oxygen and soaks up more heat

6 hours ago, Czeraphine said:

your game WILL crash once anything reaches a temperature below -273.15C

This is because -273.15ºC is in fact 0K, this gives an interesting hint: temperatures are stored as unsigned integers using Kelvin as standard. (very nerd-y!)

38 minutes ago, Octyabr said:

This is because -273.15ºC is in fact 0K, this gives an interesting hint: temperatures are stored as unsigned integers using Kelvin as standard. (very nerd-y!)

I actually assumed the -273.15C due to the fact that it is 0 Kelvin haha; though they should really make the temperature decrease from the thermo exponentially reach a limit of 0K instead of a linear progression past that point.. it'll fix crashing problems

What sort of cooling effect does this have on a base? I plan on doing something similar in my base, pumping contaminated water down near magma to evaporate it into steam and then pump the steam back up and cool it to a few degrees above 0 and drop it back in my water reservoir. I'm hoping that having the cool water between my base and my downward shaft would help keep my base cool as my mealwoods are starting to get stifled.

16 minutes ago, Ecu said:

What happens if you cool contaminated air?

You get liquid oxygen. Not liquid contaminated oxygen, liquid oxygen. It converts back into PURE oxygen. Clean. Someone did it and put it up on youtube, with commentary in mandarin. will try to dig up

EDIt: here ya go, youtube video of getting pure oxygen from freezing contaminated oxygen then letting it convert back to gas

54 minutes ago, mrbunnyban said:

You get liquid oxygen. Not liquid contaminated oxygen, liquid oxygen. It converts back into PURE oxygen. Clean. Someone did it and put it up on youtube, with commentary in mandarin. will try to dig up

EDIt: here ya go, youtube video of getting pure oxygen from freezing contaminated oxygen then letting it convert back to gas

Interesting.  So, in theory you could keep clean oxygen in your base by abusing contaminated dirt/CO2 conversion.  You'd need to fine a method to generate water, since the goal would be a clean settlement.  I suppose you could have a sub-settlement with a couple duplicants with vomiter and no bathroom to generate water for your main people.

There would still be the decor issue as eventually your people get over 100 decor needs and you cannot actually achieve that.  So you'd need a suicide chamber for those ones.

13 hours ago, Ecu said:

There would still be the decor issue as eventually your people get over 100 decor needs and you cannot actually achieve that.  So you'd need a suicide chamber for those ones.

In a new game I started yesterday every spot in my base that dupes will go to on a regular basis has a decor value of minimum 197.

9 hours ago, Saturnus said:

In a new game I started yesterday every spot in my base that dupes will go to on a regular basis has a decor value of minimum 197.

That actually doesn't matter because a duplicant maxes out at 100 for their current decor.  You can see this if you check their stats when they are in the area you mentioned.

Archived