Has anyone else noticed with Outhouses...

So i've been playing this game a lot lately.  And i'm pretty bad at it i usually restart around day 7ish but i think i have a pretty solid understanding of the very early game so far.

I noticed tonight that if i just wait until there is 1 visit remaining on the outhouse.  All i have to do is disable the outhouse, and build another one.  By doing this i don't have to deal with any contaminated dirt.  Which is good but doesn't this make the compost pile totally useless?  I'm not complaining since I'll be exploiting this mechanic alot since early on i don't want to deal with contaminated dirt and it's consequences. 

Still i can't help but think that this is not working as intended?  Sure it makes the game easier for now at least but... I dunno seems kinda like its a cheap mechanic that i'm exploiting. 

Thoughts?  Maybe this is a perfectly valid strategy that everyone uses in the begining and i'm just dumb.

Although if this is actually an exploit the dev's could just make it so that you can not disable the outhouse...

/shrug

This is my best game so far i'm researching like a mad man and i've got 0 problems right now :)

20170223220922_1.jpg

20170223220934_1.jpg

i was doing that too for a bit and sealing it off with tiles but the contaminated oxygen always gets away and infests my bases.  You should see the crazy outhouse hole/construct i was doing before which was a crazy time waster lol.  I don't like the idea of contaminated air being in my base so until what i get air scrubbers? this works too good to not have to deal with it in the early game.  By the time this becomes a problem for me i'll have the tech to easily handle it without trying.

I was just wondering if this is intended or an over sight?

Usually I just had one double airlock doored room with storage compactor in it that I would designate only Slime and polluted dirt to and priority 9 that compactor, with an air deodorizer outside airlock for any polluted oxygen that gets out. I also try to build this room around anywhere I have found Hatches (These lil guys can be your best friends) , as they will eat the slime and polluted dirt out of the storage compactors and poop coal after, helping to stock up on that resource for later.

CX8QcZJl.png

you gonna need the fertilizer so compost is useful, and contaminated dirt absolutely has its own worth for the survival of your colony.

mealwood is not renewable in the thermal update, so you gonna have to plant bristle (require fertilizer).

if you are concerned about the contaminated/polluted oxygen, just build an airlock door for the compost room or put oxygen deodorizer to clean those polluted oxygen.

19 minutes ago, ShamPeiN said:

cont. air not an issue, in  fact 10-20% wont cause much trouble and spares oxygen production.

For now. Better have some healthy habits before the "Diseases upgrade"

I use this option in every new game. Build an Outhouse on day 1, a second on day 3 and disable the first with one or two "visits" left. By day 4 I usually get the research for the Air Deodorizer finished, build them and a Composter and enable the first outhouse again. ... No polluted air floating around the base.

or you could just put a storage box set to 8 . someplace where you don't have a problem with the smell and mark just the contaminated soil, slime, and the like. they will automatically run over grab the material as its available bring it to said "safe space" no need to waste time destroying outhouses.

21 minutes ago, heckubis said:

or you could just put a storage box set to 8 . someplace where you don't have a problem with the smell and mark just the contaminated soil, slime, and the like. they will automatically run over grab the material as its available bring it to said "safe space" no need to waste time destroying outhouses.

I like to set up contaminated dirt and slime storage boxes behind airlocks.   It was really useful to discover setting the storage boxes to a high priority and only picking one item to put in them makes Dupes gather up specific materials pretty efficiently.  

I cant be sure what the devs final plans are for the disease upgrade but considering that they have now changed Contaminated Oxygen to Polluted Oxygen and removed the ability to distinguish it from clean Oxygen it appears that their intent is for players to utilize this as a source of oxygen if only temporary.

Since  moving to the Thermal Upgrade I have generated over a dozen worlds trying to find a Geyser and played up until about Cycle 60. I have tried various tactics to expand early but found that Algae seems a bit more scarce and rushing the Electrolyzer can be a bit tricky. The best solution I have found in the Thermal Upgrade for rapid early expansion is to open up the Slime Biome near your base and simply don't sweep up the slime. The amount of Polluted Oxygen being generated by the Slime should be more than enough to allow you to accept new dupes every time and focus on the layout of the base and getting the piping setup for the Hydrogen collection when you finally build the Electrolyzer. So far I have over 15 dupes at Cycle 50 and the only Oxygen production used was Oxylite in the early game. The only debuff implemented at the moment is Trench Stench which gives other dupes in the area increased stress which is easily handled by adding decor which you now have time for as you don't need to build oxygen production. I am assuming more debuffs and possible health loss will eventually be added but it looks like early game Polluted Oxygen is still a tactic and can be dealt with mid game to remove any adverse affects.

3 hours ago, ATOM7K said:

The only debuff implemented at the moment is Trench Stench which gives other dupes in the area increased stress which is easily handled by adding decor which you now have time for as you don't need to build oxygen production.

You forget there is also The Spore.

Personally, I like building a clean base.  The polluted oxygen should be cleaned before it can be used and it should make your dupes deathly sick.  It was meant to be an obstacle, not a free meal.  Thus I go out of my way to keep my base free of it.  Of course, I'm in no way telling anybody how to play their game.

On 2/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, Belgerath said:

I noticed tonight that if i just wait until there is 1 visit remaining on the outhouse.  All i have to do is disable the outhouse, and build another one.  By doing this i don't have to deal with any contaminated dirt.  Which is good but doesn't this make the compost pile totally useless?  I'm not complaining since I'll be exploiting this mechanic alot since early on i don't want to deal with contaminated dirt and it's consequences. 

It is easy to keep polluted dirt from emitting their foul gasses.  All you need to do is build a dedicated storage container in CO2, which is always in your base in the early game, or below water.  The compost can be built on the lowest level of your base to help with the emission, but usually I prefer building them in their own room with liquid seals.

34 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

It is easy to keep polluted dirt from emitting their foul gasses.  All you need to do is build a dedicated storage container in CO2, which is always in your base in the early game, or below water.  The compost can be built on the lowest level of your base to help with the emission, but usually I prefer building them in their own room with liquid seals.

You could simply build outhouses for your early colony and the composter next to it, set to high priority. In between an Air Deodorizer, which uses a tiny amount of sand. Keeps the air clean and you get pretty much all fertilizer, that you need for the first farms.

I'm pretty OCD about keeping my bases clean, and I've never had an issue with polluted oxygen by using outhouses early game. It takes several cycles for first batch of polluted dirt to even build up enough to put off some polluted air, and between composting and the air deodorizer you'd have by then (or very shortly thereafter if you're focusing on early game research completion), what few tiles' worth of contamination might've floated off, even without sealing storage, is easily gotten rid of.

Archived