Russian translation of Don't Starve. There is a problem. It is necessary to clarify one thing

Hi to all forumers!

First of all, I want to apologise for my bad English, cos it's not my first language, I'm from Ukraine.

The problem is next: plenty of people can not decide on the correctness of the translation into Russian, boss Moose/Goose. In the beginning, when the game is gaining in popularity, we had the first Russifier who said the boss Moose/Goose as (Лусь)" Lus' ". I explain why. The word " Lus' " consists of two Russian words "Лось (Los')" - Goose and "Гусь(Gus')" - Moose, and when you combine those two words it turns out as " Lus' ". If we draw an analogy it's like with the name of the other bosses: BearGer (Bear & Badger), DragonFly (Dragon & Fly), DeerCloрs (Deer & Cyclops).

But then, after some time, came the updated Russifier, who said that the boss Moose/Goose is "Лось/Гусь" (Los'/Gus'). This title was closer to the original "Moose/Goose", BUT the name has lost an interesting play on words. Furthermore, many people still continue to call here and there, in one word - everywhere, this boss with the old name Lus' (Los' & Gus'). And that's why, always when somewhere, somebody talking about this boss - it's couse to start big controversy and confrontation between people from the "old school", who love the old name " Lus' ", and people, who love more newer " Los'/Gus' " version.

From myself I want to add that I belong to the old school, for which the word Lus' is much more cooler and funnier then ordinary Los'/Gus' . And what do you think about Lus'?

I would like to ask you guys, why the game developers of Don't Starve named this boss in very simple way, as "Moose/Goose", and did not play with the words, as they did with other bosses, like BearGer, DeerClops, etc.? In my humble opinion, it's all because English language does not allow, in this particular case, beautifully combine these words. For example, if we combine these words, Moose & Goose, what we get? "Goo/Moo", "Mo/Go"?... meh, it's sounds not so supper duper cool as DragonFly, for example :) But maybe I'm wrong, cos it's just my personal assumption ;)

By the way, here is my petition at the Russian wiki, http://ru.dont-starve.wikia.com/wiki/%D0%A2%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0:103965 about renaming Los'/Gus' back to the Lus'. At this stage, I was able to make that next to the name of this boss now it written, has the unofficial nickname Lus' ;) Also, the administrator of this wiki wrote, I quote: 

"Наша задача следовать оригинальной идее вплоть до момента, когда разработчики сами одобрят наш вариант, в случае, если посчитают, что это не будет противоречить их задумке." Translation: 

"Our task is to follow the original idea up to the time when the developers themselves will approve our option, in case, if they consider that it would not conflict with their idea." 

By the way, you can click on the link abow and give there your opinion. Do not worry about the English language and that you will not be understood there, cos all everything will understand and will use translator. We are very interested to hear the views of foreigners on this issue! 

Well, summing up, I want to ask a few questions: 

1) What do you think about name Lus'?

2) Why the developers have called "Moose/Goose" as it is?

3) What is your opinion: weather can or not the Russian-speaking community to rename for our personal use certain names of this game, more specifically, translate Los'/Gus' back into Lus' , given the fact that most people still use it the old name Lus' ?

4) Is this possible to hear the official opinion about this matter on behalf of the developer, or on behalf of the official community? And whether they will approve translation of this boss under the mentality of another culture? Could you help us to bring this issue to their attention?

5) Your general opinion on this situation. 

Now you know what problems exist in the Russian segment of the wiki ;)

We are all waiting for your help here and there! ;)

post-640459-0-07137700-1430396756_thumb.

post-640459-0-26012300-1430396903_thumb.

Hey, KeshaOD! Please, don't mislead people as to what was the first name of this creature in russian.

When ROG went out I did translation Гусь/Лось from the very beginning. There wasn't Лусь at all, neither any other translation packs. Then Maris did his Russian language pack for mods, which had an option to change Гусь/Лось into Лусь just because he liked it.

I believe, you should distinct game slang out of the main game terminology. There are many slang names for many creatures in DS, but it doesn't means, that we should use them as the primary originals. And, guys, there is nothing specific in a single Lus' agains gus'/los' to let us think about mentality difficulties. This problem sounds very far-fetched.

I would rather agreed, if straight translation of Moose/Goose would sound bad, but that isn't true! It sounds just the same, as in english: two simple words appear with equal probability. That's cool, isn't that?!

In conclusion just imagine, that Starcraft wikia will fix every name to match their corresponding game slang names. It would be awful!

Slang should stay slang. That's my opinion.

P.S. Generally I very like the idea to make two-named creature itself. I think, it's very unusual and funny, and the game will largely lose if we get rid of this trick.

And I don't believe, that everyone use lus' instead of gus' and los', because there actually isn't much difference at all.

In my opinion the only thing that KeshaOD is doing here, is trying to carry through his favourite creature name.

If you guys say here "okay, let it be Lus' if you want so", it would be used as the main argument to initiate rename process.

Don't be fooled, stay clearminded.

"Please, don't mislead people as to what was the first name of this creature in russian.

When ROG went out I did translation Гусь/Лось from the very beginningThere wasn't Лусь at all, neither any other translation packs. Then Maris did his Russian language pack for mods, which had an option to change Гусь/Лось into Лусь just because he liked it.

Well... I admit that I do not know much about the history of Russian localization. Yes. But how do you think, why exactly this version Lus' become much more popular then your Lus'/Gus'? Why Maris chose this name? Why is almost everyone calling this boss as Lus', but not Gus'/Lus'? This is a rhetorical question and does not require an answer, but I can assume that more than half of the people are called this creature as Lus' only cos it is closer to the Russian ear, it's funnier, more creative and in the style of Don't Starve. AND, what most important, there are not SLASH symbol, who ruined atmosphere of this game. And it's fact ;)

"I believe, you should distinct game slang out of the main game terminology. There are many slang names for many creatures in DS, but it doesn't means, that we should use them as the primary originals.

But I do not propose to rename the creature everywhere. Exclusively for local use, only for native russian speaker. It's will be best and convinient for everyone, and we can finished with constantly confrontations. 

"And I don't believe, that everyone use lus' instead of gus' and los', because there actually isn't much difference at all.

Nope ;) It makes a big difference, and at the moment it is a significant problem that causes constant disputes. You know very well about what I say ;)

"In my opinion the only thing that KeshaOD doing here, is trying to carry through his favourite creature name."©

You have totally wrong opinion :) I speak on behalf of all the people who tend to say exactly LUS'. And we are legion ;)

"If you guys say here "okay, let it be Lus' if you want so", it would be used as the main argument to initiate rename process.

Guys, please understand one thing: that word Lus' has become much more popular then Los'/Gus' in our part of world. We must do this word as an official or, at least, second official. Your approval can complete the dispute.

Man, it's only wishful thinking, and nothing more.
Come on, I don't see legions here.
Maris choices it because he liked it, as you do. That proves just nothing.

And even if you're right, you have to admit, that not everything should be done as it wants majority of the community.
Just imagine, what would be, if Klei begins to listen for any complaint about people dislikes of their naming policy!

What, if tomorrow majority begins to call this thing "dumbler"? Should Klei rename it to follow their preferences?

Nope ;) It makes a big difference, and at the moment it is a significant problem that causes constant disputes.

That's not true! It doesn't make any significant difference, and I know what I'm saying. You still able to say Lus', if you want to, everyone will perfectly understand you, so where is the problem?

"Come on, I don't see legions here."©

Thousands and thousands native russian speakers.

"What, if tomorrow majority begins to call this thing "dumbler"? Should Klei rename it to follow their preferences?

That is why we need an official response to permission to rename how it's more convenient for us.

"That's not true! It doesn't make any significant difference, and I know what I'm saying. You still able to say Lus', if you want to, everyone will perfectly understand you, so where is the problem?

The problem is that people are constantly being persecuted in this regard, like: "No! You made a mistake! You're all saying wrong!" and so on. I think it's worth to stop.

There is only 1 different symbol in English language: Goose and Moose.

But there are 2 different symbols in Russian language: Los' and Gus' (Лось и Гусь).

So I think Lus' (Лусь) is the best choise (only for Russian ofc). 

Note that the word-play is kept neatly and looks very nice.

The problem is that people are constantly being persecuted in this regard, like: "No! You made a mistake! You're all saying wrong!" and so on. I think it's worth to stop.

As far as I know, it happends to you once. Is that worthy of all this?

@Maris, I've already told you about this, we should be happy we're lucky to have such resembling situation in russian: Los' and Gus' sounds pretty similar to each other, almost like Moose and Goose are.

As far as I know, it happends to you once. Is that worthy of all this?

In this case, just read the comments in Russian wiki more carefully. Moreover, take a read comments sections on Russian fan forums and sites ;)

A small addition to this subject :

Point is that in Russian grammar is not accepted to use the "/" in the name of animate objects. As in the case with Los'/Gus'.

This proves once again that we need an official clarification on the matter and that the current title of this creature at the beginning was wrong.

And again that's not true. Stop missleading, man.

Russian accepts using "/" just the same manner, as english does. Thus, for example if english arcticle has Goose/Moose, then there is no objection of using the same way of writing in russian.

On the other hand you're free to use "Гусь или Лось" construction aswell.

Thousands and thousands native russian speakers.

And? Thousands and thousands native russian speakers call Protoss Carrier as "long loaf" («Батон»). So what? Should we rename it on russian Starcraft Wikia immediately?

I don't understand all of the controversy surrounding something so small, but I think Lus has a lot more personality than Los/Gus. The pun makes sense even to a non-Russian speaker and Don't Starve is already known for having lots of pun names like Guacamole, Catcoon and Chester.

And? Thousands and thousands native russian speakers call Protoss Carrier as "long loaf" («Батон»). So what? Should we rename it on russian Starcraft Wikia immediately?

Let Starcraft players think about this, I don't care ;)

I don't understand all of the controversy surrounding something so small, but I think Lus has a lot more personality than Los/Gus. The pun makes sense even to a non-Russian speaker and Don't Starve is already known for having lots of pun names like Guacamole, Catcoon and Chester.

+

@DragonDePlatino, yeah, Lus' sounds pretty good, who disagreed? But what about the idea to name something with two names simultaneously? In your case this pun will obsolete.

I think, that we should care about leaving two names much more, than about combining them into one word (even more so english version is not combined here). Generally just because we've already have lot of combined names, and ±one don't makes the difference. On the other hand, there is the only one chreature witch such interesting name behaviour, and this is something, we should care above all.

Let Starcraft players think about this, I don't care

I see you worry nothing but your wishes.

"yeah, Lus' sounds pretty good, who disagreed? But what about the idea to name something with two names simultaneously? In your case this pun will obsolete."©
The whole game is built on the combination of two words into one. What the problem then?

"Generally just because we've already have lot of combined names, and ±one don't makes the difference."©
This is a lame excuse, really. In any case, the majority of players want exactly Lus' version.

"I see you worry nothing but your wishes."©
I know nothing about the players of StarCraft and I do not want to know. We are talking here solely about the Don't Starve game. Let the players StarCraft themselves solve their problems, aha.

The whole game is built on the combination of two words into one. What the problem then?
The problem is in fact, that the whole game uses double-word naming system, there are already lot of things, that have taken their name like this, and so this is just pretty trite to name it "Lus'". And at the same time the game has got the only one creature with such interesting behaviour to pick one of it's names randomly. We should prefer to keep this pun above all.

The example about Starcraft was just to introduce you to idea, that people preferences are able to take any shape, but this should not be used as a rule to determine, how things are gonna be in fact.

So, stop talking about what wants the majority, speak for yourself.

So, stop talking about what wants the majority, speak for yourself.

1. I speak on behalf of the majority and I personally agree with it of coarse;

2. And you stop talking about Starcraft, coz this forum about Don't Starve game :Р 

Please stop the not-even-arguments!

post-390644-0-08014000-1430573980_thumb.

Why don't you simply have a mod for that kind of stuff? It's not rocket science to do things yourself! It admittedly would be a very little mod, but if you can't come up with a structured argumentation, it's easier to give everyone what they want.

EDIT: Hang on, I don't have a russian po file in my installation, where's that official translation you mentioned then?

@Mobbstar,
There isn't true official russian version. But there is one, which used by overwhelming majority of russian speakers, so it's like an official, at least I'm trying to make it so.

And you're right, it's really easy to make two-lines mod to convert Лось/Гусь into single Лось.

On the other hand I can insert into russification mod an option to choose between canonical Los'/Gus' and Lus'. But I want to leave that Los'/Gus' as default just in order to hold in respect original english idea.

But KeshaOD wants to know, are developers OK to let us sacrifice that random name Los'/Gus' pun, just because Lus' sounds better.

Especially I think, that we should stay on Gus'/Los', and use Lus' as an option.

Why don't you simply have a mod for that kind of stuff? It's not rocket science to do things yourself! It admittedly would be a very little mod, but if you can't come up with a structured argumentation, it's easier to give everyone what they want.

EDIT: Hang on, I don't have a russian po file in my installation, where's that official translation you mentioned then?

The matter is not in russification at all. Most people already use small mod which changes Los'/Gus' into Lus' , and everything is fine with it. The fact that the Russian official wiki for this game despite the become popular name Lus', says that this creature is Los'/Gus'. it causes bickering between gamers. We need officially named the creature in Russian language as wants the majority. Russian wiki administrator wrote that he has nothing against this, but we must find permission from the developers whether they are allowed to combine two Russian words Los' and Gus' or not and whether it would prevent the main idea of the author of this game or not. 

But my personal opinion the following: in the game there are no any OFFICIAL Russian language, so we can change the name without permission (for local use, surely). 

Archived