Russian translation of Don't Starve. There is a problem. It is necessary to clarify one thing

We need officially named the creature in Russian language as wants the majority

Well, I don't agree! We need officially named creature in Russian language, as close to the original idea, as it possible, while the majority is free to use its slang name, if they want to.

But my personal opinion the following: in the game there are no any OFFICIAL Russian language, so we can change the name without permission (for local use, surely).

Let me correct you, "so you can change the name without permission (for your local use, surely)."

I've already made my decision, aswell as author of the russian ds wikia. If you not agreed, you're free to make your own wikia and translation and force em to the multitude.

well, if it's only for the russian wiki page, why not write "named "Los'/Gus' or even Lus' "?

Mixed styles are really ugly. But if you suggest noting the other version in the trivia, that's a fine idea. I think, however, that those two fellows have thought of it before and simply debate about which one should be used primarily.

It seems like the debate moved to the Wikia anyways. Hopefully they're using actual arguments still...

@Mobbstar, @orian34,

I'm fine with this solution, and your suggestion is what has actually been done.

As author of russian language pack I doubt about what would be primary, because it will affect on which one will be used in the translation during the gameplay. The point is that translation in the game should match translation in wikia. So to keep up original english idea we should stay on "gus'/los' also know as lus'", rather than "Lus' also known as gus'/los'".

"Come on, I don't see legions here."©

Thousands and thousands native russian speakers.

"What, if tomorrow majority begins to call this thing "dumbler"? Should Klei rename it to follow their preferences?

That is why we need an official response to permission to rename how it's more convenient for us.

"That's not true! It doesn't make any significant difference, and I know what I'm saying. You still able to say Lus', if you want to, everyone will perfectly understand you, so where is the problem?

The problem is that people are constantly being persecuted in this regard, like: "No! You made a mistake! You're all saying wrong!" and so on. I think it's worth to stop.

I don't think you can really be "persecuted" over the name of a fictional boss in a video game. You're making this a bigger problem than it is.

Slang names should stay slang names; its proper name was chosen for a reason, and you should respect the game developers. It IS their game. And please don't lie to try and get other people on your side (referring to you trying to convince people that the name you prefer is the original one), it just makes people less likely to help you. If they can't trust you to tell the truth, why on earth should they sign your petition?

Archived