Mod support Enthusiasm

Not A poll  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be mod support for multiplayer

• I would enjoy mod support
    • I would enjoy mod support

I made this thread to speak out in the hopes for mod support. I'm a big civ fan and in the transition to civ 4 to 5 civ dropped mod support for multiplayer, it was a devastating blow, there wasn't much we could do to fix the problems many players had with the main game. nor could we satisfy our desires to play special maps (as maps are now a mod in 5) and the like. Both fixes and customization where cut back considerably

I respect Klei, and they've made a wonderful game here, and even without it I would still want multiplayer, but I've seen multiplayer without mod support and I think it would be a huge let down if they weren't able to include it. There's just so many cool things that can be done, and to increase the different ways we can play together with it's inclusion. And it would also let Klei focus on the base experience more, allowing us to pick up some of the slack for things like added difficulty or easier play, or non essential customization options. 

The poll I made isn't much of one, its more like a survey, to gauge public opinion. I didn't put a no vote because it seems counter productive, people who have no interest in it wont be forced to play it, and if they dont want it, they can simply decline to vote. on the other hand if Klei feels they need to a head count, the number of people saying yes should suffice for an estimation of public clamour

I'd like mod support, I have a friend who plays with the Link Character mod and I also like playing with mods such as RPG Hud or Up and Away (this goes for gameplay changing mods and RPG does change gameplay since it adds extra slots for certain inventories and the player) needing Multiplayer Support and of course I can see Hud changing mods not need Multiplayer support 

Yeah, I like the idea of mods in DST, but then a problem appears - how it will be possible?

I posted a while back in another thread a only possible solution for this:

Mods must be server-side thing, to prevent cheating and old versions, and player connecting to that server is automaticly downloading all needed mods from the server before playing. And a hashing system for checking mod packages integrity...

To make things fair there should be an option to vote against mods in Don't Starve Together and an Option to have it as an on/off feature through World Customisation. I'm pretty sure somewhere we have discussed the negative implications of using mods.

In summary there is concern over the use of mods that gives someone an "edge" over someone else. Food never spoils, infinite uses, no negative impact on stats, no permadeath, not to mention the plethora of mods that change the game environment etc... What if I don't want to play with the mod Up and Away, but my friend has it installed and activated and he joins my game. What happens? Am I stuck with playing Up and Away?

I also feel console should be disabled, I would hate it if someone just started randomly debug spawning random stuff out of sheer laziness, instead of exploring and finding the required resources to craft the stuff.

If mods and console commands are allowed then this should be a toggle option in world customisation. As host we have rights over that. As a guest we can see which servers have enabled the use of mods and console commands and decide to join or not join the hosts world.

Mods and console should never be taken out of Don't Starve Together. But give players the option to play with others in a world where the game won't be spoiled by someone who is using "OP" mods or any mods in general and spawning stuff all over the place with the console. Private serves won't solve this either, the only way to allow or disallow mods and console is through the world customization screen which the Host will choose.

To make things fair there should be an option to vote against mods in Don't Starve Together and an Option to have it as an on/off feature through World Customisation. I'm pretty sure somewhere we have discussed the negative implications of using mods.

In summary there is concern over the use of mods that gives someone an "edge" over someone else. Food never spoils, infinite uses, no negative impact on stats, no permadeath, not to mention the plethora of mods that change the game environment etc... What if I don't want to play with the mod Up and Away, but my friend has it installed and activated and he joins my game. What happens? Am I stuck with playing Up and Away?

I also feel console should be disabled, I would hate it if someone just started randomly debug spawning random stuff out of sheer laziness, instead of exploring and finding the required resources to craft the stuff.

If mods and console commands are allowed then this should be a toggle option in world customisation. As host we have rights over that. As a guest we can see which servers have enabled the use of mods and console commands and decide to join or not join the hosts world.

Mods and console should never be taken out of Don't Starve Together. But give players the option to play with others in a world where the game won't be spoiled by someone who is using "OP" mods or any mods in general and spawning stuff all over the place with the console. Private serves won't solve this either, the only way to allow or disallow mods and console is through the world customization screen which the Host will choose.

ooooor - the host decides all of that.

That's what I said.

I misread this then:

I mentioned the word "Host" three times in that post.

And yeah you misread it. I'm asking for the poll in this thread to include those options so we can vote.

So what did you mean by what I quoted in the previous post?

What J20 here is talking about is unnecessarily complex. Since it's extremely likely that mod management will be server-side. It'll be up to him or her to decide what mods are enabled on a server, if any. Could just be a vanilla server, or maybe a super duper modded thing, their choice. Much like with Minecraft, you can't simply go onto a server with a clientside mod and unbalance the donkeys out of it.

So what did you mean by what I quoted in the previous post?

You quoted this right: "To make things fair there should be an option to vote against mods in Don't Starve Together and an Option to have it as an on/off feature through World Customisation. I'm pretty sure somewhere we have discussed the negative implications of using mods."

All I'm asking for (in this paragraph) is for @Femanon to add the options:

1. I would enjoy mod support

2. I wouldn't enjoy mod support

3. I would want mod support to be a toggle on/off option

I know he said that "people who have no interest in it wont be forced to play it, and if they dont want it, they can simply decline to vote. on the other hand if Klei feels they need to a head count, the number of people saying yes should suffice for an estimation of public clamour" but that's kind of biased. You could have 1000 people voting for mod support but there might have been 2000 people who wanted a toggle on/off option (which obviously the host controls) but couldn't vote because there is no option.

Edit: ok fair enough he only wants to gather data for one side, then if that is the case someone needs to start a new thread taking into consideration all aspects of mod support and how it should work in Don't Starve Together.

What J20 here is talking about is unnecessarily complex. Since it's extremely likely that mod management will be server-side. It'll be up to him or her to decide what mods are enabled on a server, if any. Could just be a vanilla server, or maybe a super duper modded thing, their choice. Much like with Minecraft, you can't simply go onto a server with a clientside mod and unbalance the donkeys out of it.

^ This ^

But also how do you think this scenario would work if the host wants specific mods which someone else doesn't want, or wants but not maybe one or two.

What if two friend want to play with each other. Player A is the host and has 10 different mods installed and chooses to play with all activated. But Player B doesn't want Player A to use 3 out of the 10 he has. Does that mean Player B doesn't play with Player A and thus makes his own game where Player B is host? But then what if Player C comes along and wants to play with Player B, and Player C finds himself in the same situation as what Player B was in with Player A?

What if two friend want to play with each other. Player A is the host and has 10 different mods installed and chooses to play with all activated. But Player B doesn't want Player A to use 3 out of the 10 he has. Does that mean Player B doesn't play with Player A and thus makes his own game where Player B is host? But then what if Player C comes along and wants to play with Player B, and Player C finds himself in the same situation as what Player B was in with Player A?

It will be exactly as you mentioned - If Klei add mod support to DST, then they must me server-side without a way to disable it, because that will be "unfair" to play with someone, who for ex. use RPG HUD...

(...) If Klei add mod support to DST, then they must me server-side without a way to disable it (...)

I meant here there should be an option to disable it on server-side of course :-) But players will be forced to use mods that server is providing - I can't see any other solution than that...

I meant here there should be an option to disable it on server-side of course :-) But players will be forced to use mods that server is providing - I can't see any other solution than that...

One solution is to allow all mods installed by each player to show up on a "Mod Interface" through this interface each player can vote for which mods are to be activated during the course of the game. Obviously the mods which have the highest votes are accepted and activated, for ties well....I guess the Host can decide after discussion with all party members.

It has to be clear which servers are hosting mods. Otherwise I can see some of us bouncing from one server to next due to frustration over people voting over the use of mods when I would rather play a mod free game.

It has to be clear which servers are hosting mods. Otherwise I can see some of us bouncing from one server to next due to frustration over people voting over the use of mods when I would rather play a mod free game.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you ;-)

^ This ^

But also how do you think this scenario would work if the host wants specific mods which someone else doesn't want, or wants but not maybe one or two.

Host has the power. If you want to join someone but don't want to have the mods they have, then ask them to remove the mods or go play with someone else/don't play with anyone. That's usually how it works in multiplayer, and it's a fairly effective system. If no one wants to play with the mods you have, then no one will and your server will fail.

Host has the power. If you want to join someone but don't want to have the mods they have, then ask them to remove the mods or go play with someone else/don't play with anyone. That's usually how it works in multiplayer, and it's a fairly effective system. If no one wants to play with the mods you have, then no one will and your server will fail.

This is all me speculating right now, just to get some brains ticking while we wait on JoeW.

And this is the reason why I raised those questions. What's going to happen is (probably in most cases) we are going to have hundreds of servers due to everyone wanting to play with the mods they want to use. Give it a few times and people will get fed up of asking the Host to change the mods they are using, resulting in you finding yourself going through lists upon lists of servers looking for the right one hosting the mods you want to play with.

Private servers will definitely dominate in Don't Starve Together, but even then you'll probably end up wasting time trying to convince your friend you don't like some of the mods they want to use. Don't Starve Together will end up with everyone hosting their own servers and advertising "popular" mods.

Archived