Access Permissions for Materials

Make this happen in some form, please~!

20180415214458_1_50.png.3830c015715eb6092bf4a0c08b692799.png

It would help mitigate issues of Dupes transporting materials from one side of the map to the other, for whatever reasons of storage compactor priority (even though that much nearer compactor has the same priority), and would keep Dupes from grabbing the nearest material when they decide to build, and transporting germ-ridden or 1000°C ores into your base.

Also another note while I'm thinking of... If an item is marked for sweeping, it should keep the mark if the Dupe gets distracted and drops the item.

4 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

I haven’t played around with them yet, but do transit tubes do this? The description says something like “Transports duplicants only”.

Nope, I tried.  Dupes will carry items into tubes.

I think just on/off for all materials at once is too coarse. I'm not sure about your particular intended use, for me what matters are just slime and liquifiables. I'd prefer a 'material checkpoint' where I can choose which materials can be carried through just like I select duplicants on doors.

10 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think just on/off for all materials at once is too coarse. I'm not sure about your particular intended use, for me what matters are just slime and liquifiables. I'd prefer a 'material checkpoint' where I can choose which materials can be carried through just like I select duplicants on doors.

I did a quick edit of a screenshot for an example, but yes this could take many forms~

I think the main problem is that Klei will have to edit the path finding AI to take account for carried materials, and an all-or-nothing form would be easier to make happen.

If one had this basic area control of materials though, you could use automated shipping to move only specific materials between regions. (Eg, an auto-sweeper and storage on either side of a door.)

Of course a finer control would be more useful, though harder to implement in the AI and would require more GUI elements.

On 16/04/2018 at 6:59 AM, Acru said:

Make this happen in some form, please~!

20180415214458_1_50.png.3830c015715eb6092bf4a0c08b692799.png

It would help mitigate issues of Dupes transporting materials from one side of the map to the other, for whatever reasons of storage compactor priority (even though that much nearer compactor has the same priority), and would keep Dupes from grabbing the nearest material when they decide to build, and transporting germ-ridden or 1000°C ores into your base.

Also another note while I'm thinking of... If an item is marked for sweeping, it should keep the mark if the Dupe gets distracted and drops the item.

Really nice and usefull idea in my opinion, if they could add another windows like the food one to tell dupe "No you can't use tungsten or gold for microship" i will be happy too

What does everyone think about something like an Ore Cooler? Taking concepts from an Ore Scrubber, it cools materials that are above a chosen temperature. And like a Metal Refinery, has a liquid intake and output, and outputs the heat from the ore.

No heat destroyed, just quickly (per use) transferred from ore to liquid.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:46 PM, yoakenashi said:

What does everyone think about something like an Ore Cooler? Taking concepts from an Ore Scrubber, it cools materials that are above a chosen temperature. And like a Metal Refinery, has a liquid intake and output, and outputs the heat from the ore.

No heat destroyed, just quickly (per use) transferred from ore to liquid.

Humm, there are some instances where you might want to heat ore too, like melting ice for fresh water.

The main problem with either is that heating or cooling 20t of ore takes forever no matter the method used, which could be fixed by just making loose ore a lot more conductive, either on the ground or in a storage compactor.  But a special storage compactor that could be heated or refrigerated would be interesting.

Archived