Liquid pipe thermal conductivity test

People have been telling me granite is the best for making radiators so I decided to test it.

In the picture starting from the right is: Granite, Sedimentary rock, Igneous rock, Obsidian

20180302002034_1.thumb.jpg.15912d9fc5fb7b970d16375a37e566a6.jpg20180302002056_1.thumb.jpg.640c7fb4ab20d76d66dd970a8f037631.jpg20180302002125_1.thumb.jpg.65f3aeb395c0bc6fd705aad501ffb77b.jpg20180302002137_1.thumb.jpg.2be16a2fc63305f93aa03ae90a26a279.jpg20180302002143_1.thumb.jpg.58a9dfc972a32134b77f93791dde4a1c.jpg

In the end Sedimentary rock was the best choice with Obsidian being a close second

Granite has a larger heat capacity than Sedimentary or Obsidian.  That probably the reason it slows down

3 minutes ago, Lutzkhie said:

so obsidian is 2nd i guess?

yes but it's so close it's almost the same

Just now, Lutzkhie said:

wait, sedi and obsi have the same specific heat and conductivity, 2 and 0.2

well the O2 difference was only 0.1C so that's why I said sedimentary won but I guess it's close enough to call it a tie

4 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

yes, but I don't know at what pressure do they pop

Based on my experience, somewhere between 3kg and 4kg  --  Though, to be fair, not sure if it's solely due to pressure (ie. go above a static number and *pop*) or if it's traversing a sufficiently high pressure gradient that does it.  (ie. going from room A to room B, if the absolute value of the pressure change B-A is above a certain number *POP)

1 minute ago, storm6436 said:

Somewhere between 3kg and 4kg  --  Though, to be fair, not sure if it's solely due to pressure (ie. go above a static number and *pop*) or if it's traversing a sufficiently high pressure gradient that does it.  (ie. going from room A to room B, if the absolute value of the pressure change B-A is above a certain number *POP)

Being a scuba diver IRL that makes more sense then pressure alone.  

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

Being a scuba diver IRL that makes more sense then pressure alone.  

True, but I'm not certain they're modeling it that way or not.  As a physicist, there are a lot of things this game does that are exact real physics (for values of real), a number of things that it kinda/sorta gets approximately right... and others, like thermodynamics/conservation of energy that go completely out the window.   Not that I have a problem with that, per se... it just makes it hard to expect what's correctly modeled and what isn't without actual testing... like the pipes bit above.  That's clearly not compliant with thermodynamics, bug or not.  A good chunk of the exceptions to realism are understandably made... some of the code necessary to keep "realism" would be heinously expensive processor-time-wise on a map this big, even if you reduced it all to linear equations... primarily because reality isn't segmented into tiles, which makes accurately doing fluid mechanics and the like a bit more of a pain in the ass than the real thing... and the real thing is a pretty huge pain in the ass.

Just now, Neotuck said:

the reason I didn't include wolframite is it's rare and better used for other builds 

And generally better used for temp shift plates backed by the heat pump piping/vent works ... at least so far as my experience has shown thus far.  Granted, my experience has been primarily water chilling via cold hydrogen with variable levels of water present, thus the plates being useful.

Archived