Hazards: Fire

Suppose fires could break out in our bases under the certain circumstances.  These fires would scald dupes and break.  We could combat them by assigning dupes to fight the fires, by installing sprinkler systems, or by creative use of certain gases.  Other gases could be combustible, creating potentially explosive situations if fires break out in the wrong place at the wrong time.  As with germs, preventative measures to minimize the chance of fires breaking out would be the wise approach.   I don't know if such a hazard would add much to the game, but it would make for some interesting moments in colony development.

I'd also like combustion mechanics implemented. For instance - the electric sparks from a charged battery in presence of oxygen (either clean or polluted) and flammable gas could cause a fire in the the 2 adjacent gas tiles and creation of products to avoid matter getting lost. Hydrogen and oxygen will create steam, natural gas and oxygen - CO2 and steam. As in RL, all you have to do to extinguish the fire is remove one of the factors - the oxygen or the flammable gas (by pumping it out or displacing by water/CO2/chlorine), or to wait until all the oxygen or the flammable gas in the area is consumed. To avoid the fire it the first place - keep oxygen and flammable gases separated, and don't let them near batteries. To make things more challenging - watering exposed electric wire and overloading an electric wire - could also produce a spark.

"watering exposed electric wire and overloading an electric wire - could also produce a spark."

Yeah, I've always felt that dumping water on electrical devices to keep them cool would cause issues, yet it seems to be a well known way to cool down generators and transformers. Plus sparking transformers and batteries in a room with natural gas, you'd think that would be a bit of an issue.

Archived