There should be an alarm when a dups is dying

Do you play without sound? When a duplicant dies, there's a characteristic sound effect. It's hard to miss in my opinion. If you mean some early warning, there are already alarms (with sound effect) for starving, suffocating, scalding, and fleeing - I'm not sure if there are other ways a dupe can die?

I wouldn't really like alarms coming with more pronounced visual effects - at least not while spoiled food is also an alarm. 

If you don't want to waste space, you can deconstruct the memorial after you use it. It will pop a skeleton, but I believe you can build a new memorial at that place again. But honestly I didn't try it ever, in all my games so far I only buried one duplicant.

1 hour ago, Laralth said:

Too many dups died cause of accident i didn't even notice, the alarm should me more visible. And there should be an incinerator for corpes, i don't really like to use space for gravestones.
Thanks

1 hour ago, BlueLance said:

Yeah other than a red flash on the top left I don't usually notice that something is going wrong till its almost too late.

They said that have plans on adding it in this thread. So no worries. It will be here sooner or later :D

• Developer

Hey gang, just wanted to pop in and say this is in the Oil Upgrade Preview right now! There's a new notification sound for "duplicant threatening" events. I've still got to investigate whether food rotting really needs the BOINGBOING warning sound, especially if it's making people ignore those warnings in general.

Thanks as always for the feedback! Every piece of sound feedback I get is worth pure gold to me!

1 hour ago, jambell said:

I've still got to investigate whether food rotting really needs the BOINGBOING warning sound

We definitely need separate, less alarming sound for rotting food. Something noticable but easily distinguishable from other alarms.

Avoiding food rotting for cooked food alone requires extensive micromanagement. We need something between "+1" and "infinity" to be able to only cook to fill the storage but not more. Having options like "start cooking when below X and stop when above Y" would be really great. But it would still not avoid alarms from fruits of wild plants rotting. Or from overproduction of cooking ingredients since that's also something that is pretty hard to control; you either produce too little, or too much.

Just my two cents, if something is an emergency like suffocating or entombment, please give us auto-pause for events like these. Or at least, make it a toggleable feature that you can opt in or out of. Every second counts to save your stupid dupes, and that can be punishing for people with large bases, bad reflexes, and playing on 3x speed.

5 hours ago, Byste said:

.. Every second counts to save your stupid dupes, and that can be punishing for people with large bases, bad reflexes, and playing on 3x speed.

In the new preview are new sounds. They sould not make game to easy. When ppl have "bad reflexes" they should stay away from 3 x speed ^^
I am no "optional"-stuff friend .

Archived