1 hour ago, azzaisme said:

Battlefield 4 simulates water physics in real time for everyone. We all see the same thing

yeah but everyone does their own simulation, if it is a little different it doesn't affect the game at all. While in this game, if even one particle is out of place there are problems.

Why does every game need multiplayer? Why try to turn this gem of a game into a Rust/DayZ persistant survival game? This is a game about survival on an astroid with an emphasis on fluid and gas dynamics, not Starcraft. I hate seeing good games like this get bombarded by kids asking for multiplayer, and competitive multiplayer at that. Steam discussions are even worse, every other child with CS:GO as their most played game DEMANDS multiplayer on the grounds that they (read: their parents) have paid to support development of the game.

Some games don't need multiplayer. This is one of them. 

5 hours ago, Ghosticus said:

Why does every game need multiplayer? Why try to turn this gem of a game into a Rust/DayZ persistant survival game? This is a game about survival on an astroid with an emphasis on fluid and gas dynamics, not Starcraft. I hate seeing good games like this get bombarded by kids asking for multiplayer, and competitive multiplayer at that. Steam discussions are even worse, every other child with CS:GO as their most played game DEMANDS multiplayer on the grounds that they (read: their parents) have paid to support development of the game.

Some games don't need multiplayer. This is one of them. 

Soon there will also be the cries for the hardcore mode that runs at 5 times the speed and spits out a dupe per day. Yeah, there's less and less games that a casual gamer can sit down and actually enjoy playing. ONI in it's current state with all it's craziness is still one of them.

Quoting from OP:

everyone starts out seperate from eachother, in the planet and instead of having the border rocks, we remove them and that expands into another players base and well.. attack but the player has to be online to be able to dig in there.. or perhaps players get raided, or buy defenses or something, we could make something really cool out of this. it could even be like visiting others in a menu and trading/

To be honest I don't see how multiplayer would work with this game, unless its co-operative multiplayer. Currently, there are so many problems and issues you have to overcome to make a sustainable colony. Having more players that would wreck havoc on your infrastructure by 'intruding' into your land is really not needed.

I see Oxygen Not Included to be more of a 'player versus environment' game rather than a 'player versus player' game. Having multiplayer and allowing players to invade and conquer would essentially turn this entire thing into some massive battle between factions.

I do have to point out one thing though - to have multiplayer between friends only may be a good thing - as there could be co-ops, competition and what not. Generally, private servers would be more of a rendezvous thing and may even make the game more fun. However, to have public multiplayer servers and stuff would literally just burn the fabric of this game to ashes, because this game was simply not designed for multiplayer between strangers. Hence I do think that maybe private, LAN-based servers could potentially be added, and this is excluding the huge technical problems such as sending, receiving packets on clients, et cetera, et cetera.

Though I'd like to reinforce that Klei Entertainment has already kind of 'dismissed' the prospect of multiplayer. Anyway, I think I can certainly agree that multiplayer in general would be more harmful to this game than good should it be implemented.

1 hour ago, scientas said:

Yeah, there's less and less games that a casual gamer can sit down and actually enjoy playing. ONI in it's current state with all it's craziness is still one of them.

A bit off topic, but I wanted to comment on this.  The casual gaming market is insanely huge and only growing.  These games just tend to be targeted at either web or mobile platforms, rather than desktop.  Which, honestly, makes perfect sense as mobile platforms allow a casual gamer to pick up their game whenever they have a bit of time to play.

Regarding ONI not catering specifically to casual gamers, that is perfectly alright.  I don't feel a game needs to cater to everyone.  Physics manipulation was specifically one of the main features Klei talked about when announcing ONI.  That topic alone is not a simple one.  I see absolutely nothing wrong with ONI being more for people that enjoy a more hardcore experience, solving complex puzzles to do well.

1 hour ago, ChocoParrot said:

Though I'd like to reinforce that Klei Entertainment has already kind of 'dismissed' the prospect of multiplayer. Anyway, I think I can certainly agree that multiplayer in general would be more harmful to this game than good should it be implemented.

To be honest, this is pretty much it.  Klei stated right away that they had no desire or plans to do multiplayer in ONI.  On  top of that, it would be a very non-trivial matter to handle the physics system well in a multiplayer environment.  To do this would end up deviating development time away from new content and would open avenues to new bugs.

I don't really see much good that would come out of multiplayer.

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having an awesome base and someone just comes along and ruins everything. I actually don't want multiplayer in any way shape or form for this game. It's an excellent game and I don't want to lose that 

3 hours ago, azzaisme said:

I couldn't imagine anything worse than having an awesome base and someone just comes along and ruins everything. I actually don't want multiplayer in any way shape or form for this game. It's an excellent game and I don't want to lose that 

And you just described in one sentence why I don't play on multiplayer servers in Ark.

Overall i don't really see pvp fitting in the game. also all your hard work would be for nothing. the good way to prevent it tho is like you said the player must be "online". however this wouldn't be so easy to put in. the map would be small for plenty of bases and the resources would die out quickly.

I for one would like to see Co-Op. where your friends can help out as well. they can have their own dups but they will spawn in the same place. something like that. also shared resources.

I dislike the idea of multiplayer, because it would take the developers time away from developing the game as a whole, trying to make multiplayer happen - there's a lot of things that would get downgraded just because it doesn't consume the entire bandwith when playing online.

I've noticed that games work for the mode they are developed for - multiplayer oriented games tend to fall short in single player missions/campaigns and single player games tend to have terrible multiplayer implementations. It's best to concentrate just on one.

As a survival game your main enemy is time and resources - it doesn't really need other players to compete against to be fun.

I don't think syncing fluid animations across a network is as big of an issue as making ONI multiplayer would basically be writing an entirely new game from scratch.

At least in Don't Starve you were already controlling a character, so it was just (ha!) a matter of plopping co-op players together.

Doesn't hurt to discuss it though.  I just wouldn't in any way ever expect it of ONI.  Terraria and/or Starbound might scratch that itch for you though.

Archived