Boat armour

Surely just having boat armour in Shipwrecked would solve most people's naval combat issues?
Like armour for your character, it would be split one part that is equipped in the sail space and another in the tool space. That would deter people from using it constantly to reduce damage at all times, like normal armour taking up a backpack/headwear slot.

There could be different types and tiers of armour, some of which slow you down with heavy protection and some of which speed you up slightly but have less protection.

You could even have a type of armour that poisons enemies when they attack your boat (crafted with boards, stingers and poison glands) to fend off those pesky sharks. Or one that completely prevents you from being stunlocked, like the shield from the thelucite crown without the invincibility effect.

Or maybe they could protect you against different things, like having one that deflects wave energy and another that lowers the amount of damage dealt by giants.

IDK, this idea has probably been suggested before somewhere (maybe even by me), but I like the concept too much not to create an updated thread about it/

38 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Captain hat only halves the damage boats take while just sailing, it does not reduce the damage from attacks.

Oh, thank you for clarifying!

In that case...

Captain hat UP, Klei pls buff

The immediate solution is to have multiple boats prebuilt in your crafting screen and to fight only with freshly built boats. When I saw a whale I quickly made a new boat specifically to fight him my boat was nearly destroyed then I jumped back in my other boat. Without a fresh boat I would have died.

Long term solution = Grass+Wood+Bee Stingers. Then always have at least 1 boat repair kit on hand. 

Because the boat repair kit is not stack-able and only heals up to 300 health maybe every boat should have a storage slot only for the boat repair kit sort of like a car having a spare tire.

10 hours ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Seems redundant considering we have an armored boat already.

The armoured boat takes the same amount of damage as the other boats though, so it still takes a ton of damage.

Boat armour would reduce the amount of damage you take from enemies, by something like 80%, rather than increase the total amount of health that the boat has.

The issue with naval combat is not that the boats don't have enough health, it's that they take too much damage in too little time and there's no way to stop that because kiting on boats is almost impossible.

2 hours ago, Misaki said:

Armored boat isn't good, it's just tolerable for sailing while still unusuable for combat like every other boat.

Precisely.

I just use a rowboat nowadays because it looks cooler. There's no reason to use the armoured boat unless you're desperate to last another half a second against the sea hounds.

22 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

The issue with naval combat is not that the boats don't have enough health, it's that they take too much damage in too little time and there's no way to stop that because kiting on boats is almost impossible.

I wholeheartedly agree with this! However, I don't think the boat armor should take up the sail slot - kiting on boats is difficult enough because of the acceleration. It would take an additional ~0.75 seconds to go from rowing to attacking every time you move your boat. This is time during which you're likely taking damage. If anything, the boat armor should take up the light slot which would still deter you from nocturnal battles but would allow for slightly better maneuvering during combat.

18 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Precisely.

I just use a rowboat nowadays because it looks cooler. There's no reason to use the armoured boat unless you're desperate to last another half a second against the sea hounds.

Well, armoured boat travels the fastest if sails are not considered. However, I don't like armoured boat, either. I do need more inventory slot. As for naval combats, eh, I just try to avoid them.

2 hours ago, rouxdoux said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this! However, I don't think the boat armor should take up the sail slot - kiting on boats is difficult enough because of the acceleration. It would take an additional ~0.75 seconds to go from rowing to attacking every time you move your boat. This is time during which you're likely taking damage. If anything, the boat armor should take up the light slot which would still deter you from nocturnal battles but would allow for slightly better maneuvering during combat.

Ah, but if you read the original post, I said (I think I did, at least) that there would be boat armour that can go in either slot. It would mean that you could equip both for tanking and the light slot one only for kiting; like combat on foot, basically, where you sacrifice different things for more damage protection.

17 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

Ah, but if you read the original post, I said (I think I did, at least) that there would be boat armour that can go in either slot. It would mean that you could equip both for tanking and the light slot one only for kiting; like combat on foot, basically, where you sacrifice different things for more damage protection.

Basically that would require 2 different types of armor, kind of like football helmet and log suit. It's a possibility, I just personally don't think it's necessary to have that many options for boat armor since it's probably not wise to sacrifice mobility for extra armor. Then again we have the marble suit so who knows :D

It's an interesting idea but if I may add to this. Rather than making the armour equipable to any boat, simply remove the armour from the current armoured boat and replace that with an open armour slot and slight increase in health.

That way you could choose what sort of armour to craft for it. For example the spikey variant you mentioned, regular seashell, bamboo screens, snake skin tarp, gold plating or obsidian shells each with their own advantages and disadvantages. 

One could even code the armour to work as it would on a player character with percentages rather than straight up boat heath increases.

Another boat armor is over complicating the game; it is simply adding another layer on top of the character. We simply need to fix the boat repair kit. Make it one time usable, and able to stack. Then each time, we can create 3 at a time.

The simple solution here would be for the armored boat to actually have... armor! It should reduce incoming attack damage to the boat by a %. As it is the "armored boat" is just a boat that can take more hits. Considering how much fighting we do on the water in a map that is 90% water and sea creatures the naval combat is pretty lame.

Archived