Snakes Are Not Monsters!

I think we knew that they make snake meat monster meat because otherwise it'd be OP as a food source, but that's like a workaround rather than a solution.

Snakes are common, yes, rabbits are more common, and even easier to find.

But if the game is all about balance and none about realism, then the theme and the atmosphere called Don't Starve will be gone.

I think the problem with the rabbit comparison is that rabbits don't actively attack the player but instead avoid them so you need to use different tools to get a hold of them. I mean 1 rabbit means i either need a trap or some sort of ranged combat to catch them for Morsel (what depending on your dedication can be pretty unvialbe because of how many traps you would need)

Snakes on the other hand actively attack the player and even aggro more snakes once you whack a single one just like spiders do. The difference is that snakes atm have no equivalent to the spiderwarrior making them extremly easy to kite and it would just end in a huge abundance of morsel again making collecting most other foodsources pointless.

Also sometimes we need to realize that realism can't explain everything and we need to approach things from a more gameey aspect and that's mostly the reason snakes need to drop monstermeat because it would not be a good thing in the rules of the game.

Also sometimes we need to realize that realism can't explain everything and we need to approach things from a more gameey aspect and that's mostly the reason snakes need to drop monstermeat because it would not be a good thing in the rules of the game.

I just think we should seek for solution before compromise.

The condensed version of my last post: I see your point about snakes being normal animals rather than monsters, and they're much more like the real animal than hounds are like real-life vicious dogs/wolves or the game's dog-sized six-legged colonial spiders are like any actual spider, but mechanically speaking if they made a snake meat item it'd have to be extremely similar to monster meat anyway to maintain balance (sanity loss even when cooked, probably a Monster Food like durian to stop players filling their crockpots with it) and I don't know if the devs would consider that worth the effort.

No more conjecture. Time to test!

I just spent the last few hours putting together a mod called Snake Meat that will let us test alternative loot drops for Snakes given some parameters. It is attached to this post as a .zip file.

You can select which meat falls out of a Snake. The options are Monster Meat, Morsel, Monster Morsel, Meat, Venom Morsel and Venom Meat. Monster Morsel is, unsurprisingly, a smaller version of Monster Meat.

Don't forget to change the configuration. The default is Monster Meat.

The Venom meats are a new meat item based on Codsworth's suggestion. The gist of it is this: you consume some amount of poison when you eat them, which wears off over time. If the poison level gets too high, you become bona-fide poisoned. Debug messages regarding the poison can be turned on or off in the configuration, and you can set the amount by which you recover from it.

So go! Download it! Try it out! If Morsel is too overpowered for Snakes, this oughtta let us know. And if one of the other items is better suited, well, this should let us know too.

snakemeat.zip

post-331005-0-33976100-1450834425_thumb.

post-331005-0-63179300-1450834429_thumb.

post-331005-0-48920600-1450834433_thumb.

0 downloads? Wow, nothing kills an opinion-laden thread like this one quite like a call to action to gather some definitive data. (-:

Playing with this mod, with Snakes set to drop Morsels, I'm not finding them to be overpowered. But that's just me. All I have is direct experience; don't let me get in the way of careful thoughts and game-balance considerations. (-:

Archived