Meteors...and the inevitable doom they bring.

Many of you have seen the reign of death that Dont Starve Together brings, and many of you probably enjoy the scattering of Death Rocks from outer space, I will admit, its kind of useful....

But, with the introduction of flying hell rocks, we are left with one major issue, protecting the objects we hoard and love so very much....

I was recently playing a game with my brother, we were doing great, had a nice base set up, had some farms, crock pots, and a good stockpile of food and supplies...

That was until the Death Rocks came....

While camping out at night, preparing our food for winter, we had a reign of meteors, which inconveniently landed on BOTH of our Ice Boxes, me, and one of our chests.

This raised some issues in our playthrough, apparently when the Meteor landed on both the ice boxes it broke em, which wasn't really an issue, except for the fact that all the food in the Ice Boxes dissapeared, just vanished...

Same with the chest that was hit.

Me and my brother then died a few days later, in the winter, due to starvation and lack of protection against the cold, all due to the destruction of our weeks worth of food and a large chunk of our materials.

So, I propose two ideas here.

One, fix up Meteors so that when they hit a storage object, the contents inside are scattered around the now destroyed storage object.

Or Two, some form of Meteor protection, like Lightning Rods, but for Meteors instead.

I know to expect the unexpected when playing Dont Starve, and I understand that this game is not easy or fair, but I really dont think this is right at all...

Winter came the next day and we died, in a horrible way.

I have the same issue in my game, I think it must be a bug. I proposed a sort of new chest/icebox. I think it should be a reinforced icebox/chest and will be made of moonrock (my thought was that it must take a meteor to protect against a meteor) I also lost tons of items (200+ honey and 60+ large jerkey). I hope the devs do something about this soon

Meteors only happen in certain areas. Build your base somewhere else.

Im having them hit everywhere, Grasslands, Forests, a few in a meadow, Rocky areas...

The meteors haven been spawning in every biome, in each server I set up.

Basic Dont starve Together, no changes, no nothing

Well, meteor spawners only exist in rocky biomes, so at worst, it can spawn 60 units away from the edge of a rocky area, i think 60 units is about two screens (don't quote me on that tho, its basically a guess:D)

Only if you modify the default settings, e.g. setting it to lots, will they spawn outside of rocky biomes

Huh!  So the bug is real!  I just wrote a report for my ice boxes getting hit by a meteor but not destroyed and having all the food disappear.  I thought it was incredibly weird that this would happen, I'll link this thread in my report.  

Simple. Add meteor prediction mechanic, add meteor shield structure with like health bar 100% that can shield your base. Also meteor has chance of containing rocks,  ice, gold,etc on impact...that way we get something in return. ground X mark would be nice too 2-3 secs before meteor lands  so we can see where it hits. It would be interesting, since the way it is now is plain stupid.

Simple. Add meteor prediction mechanic, add meteor shield structure with like health bar 100% that can shield your base. Also meteor has chance of containing rocks,  ice, gold,etc on impact...that way we get something in return. ground X mark would be nice too 2-3 secs before meteor lands  so we can see where it hits. It would be interesting, since the way it is now is plain stupid.

you really don't know how Meteors work(or are supposed to), do you?

ground X mark would be nice too 2-3 secs before meteor lands  so we can see where it hits.
A shadow appears for about that much time before they hit... And they only fall near rocky biomes. People don't usually build bases near those because you only need to make a few trips to rocky biomes of the course of a game, so it's better to settle near other things you need more regularly, like beefalo or pigs. 

i think it would be a good idea to better convey that  60 unit hazard zone near  rocky biomes, perhaps  crater  sprites and  destroyed  pig  building sprites  that only spawn with in that  area would make it more reasonable  for where to build plus some character interactions with said objects that hint not to build near them would be cool as well.

i smell a mod somewhere in this

i think it would be a good idea to better convey that  60 unit hazard zone near  rocky biomes, perhaps  crater  sprites and  destroyed  pig  building sprites  that only spawn with in that  area would make it more reasonable  for where to build plus some character interactions with said objects that hint not to build near them would be cool as well.

Just learn from your mistakes. Nothing warns you that night is going to kill you if you don't have a fire.

Generally there's scorch marks where the meteors impacted. IMO that should be enough of a warning not to build there.

Archived