Is there a solution for showing my ping when i host a server?

If you host, you have 0 ping...

If when looking at the list your friend sees "???" it is probably a high ping FOR YOUR FRIEND.

He should press tab when in game and then he can see his ping.

My friends ping in game is 35 which is not high at all. He should see the ping in the server list and not just ???. I'm also on a 60mb fiber connection.

My friends ping in game is 35 which is not high at all. He should see the ping in the server list and not just ???. I'm also on a 60mb fiber connection.

Uhm...Well, I said PROBABLY. hehe :p

So ...It is possible that im not joining low ping servers cause I cant actually see them ...

I was just talking from experience, cause the servers I joined that showed a ??? ping were high to me ... Maybe its just a bug that needs to be fixed

• Developer

"???" will be displayed for a server listing on the server browser screen if we can't directly ping the server (i.e. it has to go through a punchthrough). When this happens, we can't get reliable info about what your ping will be like in game, so we just show "???" for now. Sometimes you'll ping fine in those servers, other times you'll ping poorly.

"???" will be displayed for a server listing on the server browser screen if we can't directly ping the server (i.e. it has to go through a punchthrough). When this happens, we can't get reliable info about what your ping will be like in game, so we just show "???" for now. Sometimes you'll ping fine in those servers, other times you'll ping poorly.

Is there anything i can do on my end to solve this? A setting in the router perhaps?

• Developer

Is there anything i can do on my end to solve this? A setting in the router perhaps?

Hey, you should be able to configure your existing router to allow ping requests to come through.

To do this you need to forward UDP traffic on port 10999 

Long form answer:

To find your systems internal ip address, open a command window (cmd) and type ipconfig.  It will return something like this:

Windows IP ConfigurationEthernet adapter Local Area Connection:   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : office.kleientertainment.com   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : -----------------------   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XX.XX <--- You want this one

Next, go to your router configuration page.  (Try googling the model of your router to find this page / the credentials required to access it).   Look for a tab that says port forwarding.  And forward UDP traffic on port 10999 to your internal ip (192.168. something ).

------------

Since so many servers cannot be pinged, we will likely come up with a better solution in the not-so-distant future.

Good luck!

I think it's best if I don't open a separate thread, so I'll just bump this one instead since it's not that old.

I've tried getting rid of the "???" problem the last couple of days but to no avail. My router model is a TP-Link WR740N v4. I have opened a thread on the official TP-Link forums but for some reason it didn't pass the moderation process. So here I am, hoping that someone with a router from TP-Link can help me out.

I found my IPv4 (screenshot below) and the section for port forwarding in my router settings, and there are only 2 instances where UDP appears:

Virtual Servers:

KS3ePiK.png

Port Triggering:

xsdlnym.png

This is the first time I play around with the concept of port forwarding, and with the settings above I still get "???" in the server list, therefore I'm pretty sure I'm not doing this the right way. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, you should be able to configure your existing router to allow ping requests to come through.

To do this you need to forward UDP traffic on port 10999 

Long form answer:

To find your systems internal ip address, open a command window (cmd) and type ipconfig.  It will return something like this:

Windows IP ConfigurationEthernet adapter Local Area Connection:   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : office.kleientertainment.com   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : -----------------------   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.XX.XX <--- You want this one

Next, go to your router configuration page.  (Try googling the model of your router to find this page / the credentials required to access it).   Look for a tab that says port forwarding.  And forward UDP traffic on port 10999 to your internal ip (192.168. something ).

------------

Since so many servers cannot be pinged, we will likely come up with a better solution in the not-so-distant future.

Good luck!

I have done the forwardind but it isnt help. firend checked my server still have "???" instead ping value

I still haven't fixed it either. I'm the kind of player which randomly joins servers and since I only have around 2-3 servers which have a ping lower than 90 I just connect to the very long list of ??? servers. Before adding any other content, my dear Klei devs, please fix the ??? some way or another because most of the time I spend dozens of minutes just connecting to ??? servers hoping I'll find one which has a good enough ping to play the game. Around 70% of the servers in my list have an unrecognized ping.

I think it's best if I don't open a separate thread, so I'll just bump this one instead since it's not that old.

I've tried getting rid of the "???" problem the last couple of days but to no avail. My router model is a TP-Link WR740N v4. I have opened a thread on the official TP-Link forums but for some reason it didn't pass the moderation process. So here I am, hoping that someone with a router from TP-Link can help me out.

I found my IPv4 (screenshot below) and the section for port forwarding in my router settings, and there are only 2 instances where UDP appears:

Virtual Servers:

KS3ePiK.png

Port Triggering:

xsdlnym.png

This is the first time I play around with the concept of port forwarding, and with the settings above I still get "???" in the server list, therefore I'm pretty sure I'm not doing this the right way. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/TP-Link/TL-WR740N/Tunngle.htm

Port forwarding is a *****. Luckily for you i have the same router model and I have forwarded this port one week ago

@rezecib.. ok so I was able to reserve a DHCP IP & map forwarding of UDP traffic on port 10999. This did indeed clear the ??? of my hosted game but the ping for my server shows as ~7000 (tested using a second PC/steam account as client). I'm not sure why that shows so high. My internet speed (200Mb/20Mb, wired) is incredibly fast and my machine is a fairly decked out Mac Pro. When I'm in game as a client my client ping is typically between 18 and 30. Not sure why my host would be displaying so slow. I'll test this further tonight. 

@Shequan, Sounds like you're having problems with hairpin NAT, so it's falling back on a proxy. Dealing with that is less standard, (and I didn't have to deal with it myself), but there are a few threads in the dedicated server subforum that might be helpful... If you don't want to get into that, though, you can use the c_connect command.

Edit: Oh, although you said it was fine in-game, so it's not really that bad of an issue, I guess. I have no idea what the difference between the ping approach on the server listing screen vs in-game is about, though...

Coming back with a reply just to say that when I go the public servers route, it's pretty much a hit and miss for me. I sort the servers by their ping and start with the first one having "???". I connect, hit Tab, check the ping. If bigger than 100 I exit the next second. Repeat until finding a decent server.

Archived