So me and the mrs played this a bit last night, most annoying thing ever, two people sitting in the same room and we have to leave our server to pause the game. What we really need is the option to pause the thing if we want to maybe an option menu entry where the hosts pauses pause for everyone or at least the host hitting escape brings up some kind of dialog asking other players if they agree to pause as it is its a nightmare to play (when you have 2 kids in the house and have to stop playing every 5 minutes, disconnect the server, wait for it to fire up again, get reconnected, play for 5 more minutes...etc...etc...etc).

I appreciate that for many people just playing multi across the net this is a none issue but my guess is there are many people like myself who are just gonna be playing at home with the mrs or whatever and its a suckfest to have to leave and rejoin all the time.

Personally I think the host should be able to pause the game without any voting system. If clients need it paused, they can ask the host.

But a bunch of stuff in the files related to "afk" was added in the last patch, so I think there's going to be a system where you can essentially pause your character while you need to be afk (what would happen if you left the server, but without losing your spot).

Yep, we're planning on adding the ability for all players to go AFK (basically despawning your player without leaving the server) and for the host to be able to pause the game for all players.

I hate the ideas of host having so much abilities. This way, PvP would work to the Host's advantage all the time, every time. It's better if you keep it this simple: everyone pauses, the game gets paused: makes sense, right?

Also how long till dedicated srrvers come out?

I hate the ideas of host having so much abilities. This way, PvP would work to the Host's advantage all the time, every time. It's better if you keep it this simple: everyone pauses, the game gets paused: makes sense, right?

having everyone pause is not simpler than having one person pause for everyone.

and host is always going to have that advantage because they are managing the server. The idea is being a part of the server that plays the way you do, which actually isn't that hard.

I thought the goal of the PvP was to get big dedicated servers to create a world big enough for anyone to join at any time and play, while the host was a rule enforcer instead of a player. Spectate the other players or something. If a host griefs his players, that may fall under grounds to be reported so other players do not have a bad experience.

Everyone pausing the game at the same time does not make sense. There is no way in the world that I care if someone on the otherside of the world split a drink and wants to pause the game. He has the ability to go afk and remain safe now.

If I am the host, and I go afk, I can have a pseudo-dedicated server if I leave the game running minimized. Steam loves inaccurately counting my DS hours anyway.

i also have a tiny suggestion. 

can you implement the feature(it would be useful mostly for dedicated servers, but may have it's uses if you make a "despawn" ability) so that server checks the number of Playing players... and if it's 0 - the server set itself on pause. (so people couldn't skip winters or can play a bit, leave the server simultaneously and then return to the same day they left without shutting down the server)

I thought the goal of the PvP was to get big dedicated servers to create a world big enough for anyone to join at any time and play, while the host was a rule enforcer instead of a player. Spectate the other players or something. If a host griefs his players, that may fall under grounds to be reported so other players do not have a bad experience.

Everyone pausing the game at the same time does not make sense. There is no way in the world that I care if someone on the otherside of the world split a drink and wants to pause the game. He has the ability to go afk and remain safe now.

If I am the host, and I go afk, I can have a pseudo-dedicated server if I leave the game running minimized. Steam loves inaccurately counting my DS hours anyway.

What I meant when I said "all pausing at the same time" was that if a few people press the Esc button, none of their game is paused. If EVERYONE presses Esc then the pause activates. If even one person doesn't have pressed Esc, then the pause does not activate. See where I'm going with this?

• Developer

i also have a tiny suggestion. 

can you implement the feature(it would be useful mostly for dedicated servers, but may have it's uses if you make a "despawn" ability) so that server checks the number of Playing players... and if it's 0 - the server set itself on pause. (so people couldn't skip winters or can play a bit, leave the server simultaneously and then return to the same day they left without shutting down the server)

Yep, this is in our plan too! Not sure exactly when it'll happen (since, like you said, it really only applies to dedicated servers), but it's on our wishlist.

What I meant when I said "all pausing at the same time" was that if a few people press the Esc button, none of their game is paused. If EVERYONE presses Esc then the pause activates. If even one person doesn't have pressed Esc, then the pause does not activate. See where I'm going with this?

"Everyone pausing the game at the same time does not make sense. There is no way in the world that I care if someone on the otherside of the world split a drink and wants to pause the game. He has the ability to go afk and remain safe now." 

Yeah, I do not want to pause my game because someone wants to go afk. I know where you went with it, I just didn't like the location.

I think so too, but it will be more comfortable if add some request, for  example you presses Esc and for all players sendind message "Player123 want to rest, do you agree? (Y/N)" and if all players choose "Yes", then pause activated

I have to say after playing some, a pause would definitely be helpful.  I'm mostly okay with the idea that the host can pause it on their own.  I'm okay with the idea of having a vote to pause it.  But I wouldn't want the vote to require a yes vote from every player.  If there are 4 people playing and 3 of us want a break but the 4th says no, we can't pause it? Majority (or super majority) vote in the need to pause it should rule, a unanimous vote shouldn't be necessary.

It would be nice if you could say Bubble your self making you 100% immune like a pause but this could only be used when not in combat Darkness Kinda like how a Tent Works  So you could Afk a few Mins or for the Host be able to AFK a while W/o  the Server going down and or have a personal Whenever Pause >bubble> Once per Hour for emergency,

Main thing i Find is Hosting is a Pain what if u have to Use the Restroom  or w/e....  its a Risk or U have to shutdown for a few Mins

It would be nice if you could say Bubble your self making you 100% immune like a pause but this could only be used when not in combat Darkness Kinda like how a Tent Works  So you could Afk a few Mins or for the Host be able to AFK a while W/o  the Server going down and or have a personal Whenever Pause >bubble> Once per Hour for emergency,

Main thing i Find is Hosting is a Pain what if u have to Use the Restroom  or w/e....  its a Risk or U have to shutdown for a few Mins

Sorry, don't mean to be overly crude here, but that's a stupid idea... See the OP actually hit a nail on the head... We NEED an option to pause, not once an hour for emergencies, but at whatever leisure we like... Because that's life, and Don't Starve is a survival game, where you try to make the most of every hour of every warm summer day for example, so you don't want the time to just fly by while you're "safe" in a bubble...

I say, if it's a dedicated server, go with the bubble, player count and if zero, stop the time, and possibly a voted pause by majority.

On a hosted server, give the darn power to the host. It's my server, I should be able to pause when I want/need to, or pause it for a friend who wants/needs as well.

If you don't like the host, don't play on his server, make your own with your friends and you're fine :)

Me too. Just recently started playing Together and a simple 30-day game survival match (up to Deerclops) lasts 4 hours! Without pause, it´s a marathon!

Options for pausing:

- The host pauses when he wants

- Scheduled pauses (a X minute pause every Y minutes) (e.g. a 2-minute pause every 60 minutes)

- Voted pauses (simple majority vote, if tied, the vote of the player who is alive the longest decides)

Auto-pausing empty servers should be an option too, but IMHO it is not so useful for survival / wilderness because it is a good thing that people can skip summer/winter/night starts. Also there is no point in leaving a server locked in a Winter that noone can join safely.

(seriously, a winter-start, summer-start, and night-start kit would be an excellent addition too, although that can be modded)

Yep, we're planning on adding the ability for all players to go AFK (basically despawning your player without leaving the server) and for the host to be able to pause the game for all players.

Think please about abuse of this feature on pvp servers. This could be easiest way to avoid a fight. And even now players are able to avoid a battle by exiting the game.

Just add pausing, and make it a server option, so you can have a PVP server with consensus pause, an endless server with anyone pause, a wilderness server with host pause - whatever, add it as a filter, and let the players sort out what works best, while allowing players looking for servers to avoid what they consider abusable.

Are there any news regarding this feature? If possible, please prioritize it.

Right now this missing feature has made me and my friends stopped playing together. :(

Maybe Klei can implement a basic version (global pause via admin and player afk) and then wait for players' feedback and fine tune it later. :)

I have to say after playing some, a pause would definitely be helpful.  I'm mostly okay with the idea that the host can pause it on their own.  I'm okay with the idea of having a vote to pause it.  But I wouldn't want the vote to require a yes vote from every player.  If there are 4 people playing and 3 of us want a break but the 4th says no, we can't pause it? Majority (or super majority) vote in the need to pause it should rule, a unanimous vote shouldn't be necessary.

The Host Should Be Able To Set A Changeable Percentage Of Votes Needed To Pause And The Creator Of The Vote Or Host Can Un-Pause Whenever But The Vote Creator Will Be Put In The "AFK" State; Until Movement From Said Client.

:yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:  :yaymultipl:

Archived