More DST Characters: Play Wolfgang, Wendy, Wes, or Maxwell with this mod

Edit: 1.5 removed Wolfgang now that he's officially supported. If you're hosting with an older version, Wolfgang will have reduced stats (I had to do that to fit within the previous net code).

More DST Characters adds most of the missing characters from vanilla Don't Starve back into Don't Starve Together. Namely, Wendy, Wes, and Maxwell.

In general, this needs a lot more testing. Get back to me with issues you find, and hopefully I'll be able to fix them (but maybe not).

Notes ( issues here will probably have to wait on official character support before they get fixed):

• Woodie seems to work fine when you're the host, but is horribly broken when you're the client. After trying a lot of stuff I'm not sure it's possible for me to fix him with a mod. But the host can enjoy somewhat-strange-behaving Woodiness, at least! (when he goes beaver it lights up the whole world, for example)
  • Wendy becomes detached from Abigail if you rejoin a server, leaving Abigail floating off on her own. I believe this means that Abigail sticks around if you leave, but I haven't been able to test that yet. Also, I think anyone with the flower can summon Abigail.
  • I can't add Wigfrid and Webber. I would love to, but since DST isn't integrated with Don't Starve yet, it wouldn't be okay for me to add content that you normally need to have RoG to get.

Warning: when you have this mod enabled, do not join servers that don't have the mod. If you do so on accident, pick a character that you can normally pick.

Shoutouts to @Luxurious, @Munixical, and @Dryicefox for helping me with this mod!

Edit: Enabling mods is different as of 11/05/2014. You should remove any ForceEnableMod lines you have in modsettings.lua, and use the mod menu now after enabling it in Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/settings.ini by deleting the “#” before the “MODS_ENABLED = true” line.

More DST Characters adds most of the missing characters from vanilla Don't Starve back into Don't Starve Together. Namely, Wolfgang, Wendy, Wes, and Maxwell.

In general, this needs a lot more testing. Get back to me with issues you find, and hopefully I'll be able to fix them (but maybe not).

Notes ( issues here will probably have to wait on official character support before they get fixed):

• Woodie is broken, and not added in this mod. Don't try to enable him yourself. He needs a lot of decisions about how his gameplay will work, and then coding all those in, before he'll work at all.
  • Wolfgang's health and hunger don't reach their normal heights. Unfortunately, due to the way the game communicates health/hunger/sanity data, it's not possible to have values greater than 255, so I set Wolfgang's hunger to 250, and his highest health to 250. I adjusted the points at which these change to be in line with the cap at 250.
  • Wendy becomes detached from Abigail if you rejoin a server, leaving Abigail floating off on her own. I believe this means that Abigail sticks around if you leave, but I haven't been able to test that yet. Also, I think anyone with the flower can summon Abigail.
  • I can't add Wigfrid and Webber. I would love to, but since DST isn't integrated with Don't Starve yet, it wouldn't be okay for me to add content that you normally need to have RoG to get.

Warning: when you have this mod enabled, do not join servers that don't have the mod. If you do so on accident, pick a character that you can normally pick.

I helped playtest this,good work Reze!

Nice mod rezecib now I can finally play as Maxwell or Wendy.  However there is probably one small note you might want to attach to this mod, because I don't think it's something you can control.  If you play as Maxwell client side his shadow puppets on death or dissipation will not allow you to gain back your max sanity.  Kind of like when certain other character specific items did not work properly until Klei fixed them.

I was noticing with waxwell (client) and willow (host) that there seemed to be issues with picking things up and attacking: actions would "hang" instead of happening roughly 1/3rd the time.

Also: you have the start/end thresholds mixed up, so between 175-180 wolfgang is constantly transforming.

If I'm allowed to go on a tangent, I dislike wolfgang's redesign (yes, I know, it's been over a year). Mostly, because it rewards the player for staying wimpy.

Thematically, wolfgang is all about his stomach. Being full should be pure awesomeness, with being wimpy embarassing and awful.

With the current design, wimpy is the ideal (and horribly weak) non-combat form (and for healing), with mighty being a huge waste of resources, and normal being the worst of both worlds (no damage bonus, 1.5 hunger multiplier).

I would much rather have a flat hunger multiplier, so the player does their best to keep him full and with wimpy form being weak without anything to compensate for it.

(Which is what I did by tweaking your code for my gf and my games.)

@Toros I don't think the actions hanging are a part of the the characters. That sounds like general action prediction mishaps to me. (which, by the way, you can disable with ThePlayer:EnableActionPrediction(false) [does it temporarily], or by editing /data/DLC0002/scripts/prefabs/playercommon.lua's line 4 [does it until it gets patched in an update]. I'm beginning to feel like a broken record on this one though xD)

You're absolutely right, I mixed up the thresholds. That'll be in 1.2

@Sindex I might be able to fix that, actually. I'll take a look at it tomorrow, and hopefully put that in 1.2

That's a cool mod! :) had lots of fun with it, ty so much for it!

although when i played that girl with a pet ghost ( Wendy? ), in order to re-summon that ghost not only i had to wait until it recharges but also the server host had to pick my flower and give it back to me, and only then it could work again. i think more testing should be done regarding that situation.

it's not too cool to give my flower to server host every time.. okay, that probably didn't come out right.. ^^

@Toros I don't think the actions hanging are a part of the the characters. That sounds like general action prediction mishaps to me. (which, by the way, you can disable with ThePlayer:EnableActionPrediction(false) [does it temporarily], or by editing /data/DLC0002/scripts/prefabs/playercommon.lua's line 4 [does it until it gets patched in an update]. I'm beginning to feel like a broken record on this one though xD)

You're absolutely right, I mixed up the thresholds. That'll be in 1.2

In your experience, which method works better for kiting effectively?

I don't need anything fancy, but in single player I have no problem fighting treeguards and koalafants, but I'm not as confident with the lag.

@XyLe I tested it myself with a few other people and it appeared to me that the problem was that someone had to pick it up after it was dropped, but that someone didn't have to be the host. I think I fixed that, though, so it should now remember who had it last even after Abigail drops it again.

@Toros Wolfgang fix is up. I think having action prediction off is much much better for kiting. It's still significantly harder than in single-player (because you have large delay), but at least you can see what's really going on and account for the delay to time your attacks. In general though, I still aim for getting in fewer attacks between kites than normal (e.g 3-4 for beefalo, instead of 5).

@Sindex I believe I managed to fix that Maxwell problem, as well as a related one where Maxwell's shadow clones would deduct from all Maxwells in the game.

I don't know where else to put this but I just thought this was a great picture of you as Wes and I guess it kinda shows off the mod? :razz:

4WJeRUN.jpg

Just leanin' against that basalt so nonchalantly ;) Wes is such a show-off.

P.S. Have an extra picture because I took it a little after the one above and thought it was a silly robot joke

j6iopbW.jpg

This is a great addition, thanks :)

I don't know where else to put this but I just thought this was a great picture of you as Wes and I guess it kinda shows off the mod? :razz:

4WJeRUN.jpg

Just leanin' against that basalt so nonchalantly ;) Wes is such a show-off.

P.S. Have an extra picture because I took it a little after the one above and thought it was a silly robot joke

j6iopbW.jpg

OT: I totally forgot where I put my screenshot from his server :(

@Sindex I believe I managed to fix that Maxwell problem, as well as a related one where Maxwell's shadow clones would deduct from all Maxwells in the game.

Thank you for the fix, I appreciate it.  I have actually been burning myself out on DS:T a little, but will give it another shot soon.  Probably with this mod in tow for my next play through.

I'm not sure if that was mentioned before, if so - forgive me kindly, but the blonde girl with a ghost has a flower, whoever drops that flower gets the ghost to follow and defend them (if i play Maxwell and take the flower - Abigail follows me), so i'm not sure if this was intended to be that way. Maybe her sister should only follow her no matter what. I personally find it a good thing though, and I like a possibility to have an extra ghost for myself. Can be useful :)

@XyLe it looks like it was coded specifically to allow that, actually -- the flower keeps track of the last person who had it and checks them for the ritual. It might be missing other parts that they meant to add before releasing her, though, like maybe it should only keep track of the last Wendy or something.

The most problematic now is the following:

1. Wendy looks in a chest or picks a backpack with Maxwell's book in it = client crash. Picking a backpack means you reconnect to a crash. So that happens until you die and respawn as a ghost with no backpack on.

2. Wendy disconnects with Abigail following her = Abigail leaves the server too without being killed and therefore not dropping the flower = next time Wendy got no flower, no Abigail.

@XyLe the book crash was totally my fault, in the fix I made to prevent Wickerbottom from reading Maxwell's book I forgot to make sure it was only running on the server. So even Maxwell can't join as a client.

The other problem is significantly more difficult to fix. I'm working on it, but I'm not finding any easy way to do it. It only happens if Abigail was following a client (if she's following the host, she just becomes untethered upon restarting the server). I'll update it sometime tomorrow, hopefully with both things fixed.

Hey guys! I would want to jump into this server and test things out with you, but I do not know how bad my latency would be on the server. But if I do get a chance to jump in, is there any specific character that has been used the least? In terms of bugs discovered and such. 

@Zillvr Latency shouldn't matter too much. It matters for normal gameplay, but since this is just testing, if things go wrong I can just resurrect people. It seems like Wendy is the buggiest, but Maxwell might have a few bugs with his shadow clones as well. Wes and Wolfgang I think are sorted out, but I haven't heard back from anyone about Wolfgang since I fixed his thresholds.

Archived