Creatures From the Caves That Hunt You

I know we're at the tail end of our updates here so the chances of this being implemented are zero to none, especially considering Klei said no additions to the caves for this DLC, but what do you all think about a mob that comes out of the caves and hunts you (similar to MacTusk Hunting Party but not seasonal)?

Most players on this forum point out that for the most part caves and ruins aren't worth the risk. However, what if a certain underground mob would build themselves a base (nothing fancier than the equivalent of a few hound mounds) once a year or so and come above ground to hunt you down. Then, you would have to eventually venture underground to find their base (spawners) and destroy it, thus temporarily ending the frequent visits from these hunters until the game spawns another base for them down there.

This idea would give us all a necessary reason to venture down into the caves on a somewhat consistent basis

I venture down to the caves to get to the ruins to get thelucite armor because its so good.  Also starcaller's staff is so useful.  Plus, magiluminescence + walking cane is hilarious to watch.  

Seriously though, people will go down to the ruins cause its different and more challenging than the surface when they're ready.  Shouldn't need to have more incentive than it already has.

I know we're at the tail end of our updates here so the chances of this being implemented are zero to none, but what do you all think about a mob that comes out of the caves and hunts you (similar to MacTusk Hunting Party but not seasonal)?

Most players on this forum point out that for the most part caves and ruins aren't worth the risk. However, what if a certain underground mob would build themselves a base (nothing fancier than the equivalent of a few hound mounds) once a year or so and come above ground to hunt you down. Then, you would have to eventually venture underground to find their base (spawners) and destroy it, thus temporarily ending the frequent visits from these hunters until the game spawns another base for them down there.

This idea would give us all a necessary reason to venture down into the caves on a somewhat consistent basis

I love this idea. Just like the giants - it would force the player to leave his/her established comfrot zone aka the base. Do you have any ideas for those creature's design?

There is a creature that has been said that lives underground and comes periodically to hunt you: The hounds.

I suggest to make some sort of hound lair in a cave and destroying it stops the hound attacks for at least two seasons before they rebuild it.

I'd extend the concept to above ground too.  Add a later game challenge sort of thing.  Part of the problem however is that due to the nature of DS's mechanics, nothing actually happens anywhere in the world if you're not within a couple screens.  For instance lureplants spawning.  And DEFINITELY nothing happens in caves if you're not in them.  As I understand them caves are for all intents and purposes a whole separate world.  So to properly implement this kind of thing I think Klei would have to implement a way for things to spawn even if the player is very far away.

I'd extend the concept to above ground too.  Add a later game challenge sort of thing.  Part of the problem however is that due to the nature of DS's mechanics, nothing actually happens anywhere in the world if you're not within a couple screens.  For instance lureplants spawning.  And DEFINITELY nothing happens in caves if you're not in them.  As I understand them caves are for all intents and purposes a whole separate world.  So to properly implement this kind of thing I think Klei would have to implement a way for things to spawn even if the player is very far away.

There's an easy work around for this problem. Once the timer hits the point when the mob is supposed attack (similar to the controlled randomness of hound), it/they would spawn a few screens away. Once you defeat this mob, if you move in the direction from which it/they came, the game would have generated a track (somewhat similar to the koalefant's/warg's track) from the point which it/they spawned. Following these continuously generating tracks would lead you to a specific cave entrance. Upon entering the cave, the game would spawn the aforementioned "base" randomly somewhere on that level (perhaps after 100 days and beyond these "bases" could have a chance to spawn in the ruins) with more koalefant-like tracks leading to it.

Is there anything I've missed regarding the way the game functions or would this hypothetically work?

There's an easy work around for this problem. Once the timer hits the point when the mob is supposed attack (similar to the controlled randomness of hound), it/they would spawn a few screens away. Once you defeat this mob, if you move in the direction from which it/they came, the game would have generated a track (somewhat similar to the koalefant's/warg's track) from the point which it/they spawned. Following these continuously generating tracks would lead you to a specific cave entrance. Upon entering the cave, the game would spawn the aforementioned "base" randomly somewhere on that level (perhaps after 100 days and beyond these "bases" could have a chance to spawn in the ruins) with more koalefant-like tracks leading to it.

Is there anything I've missed regarding the way the game functions or would this hypothetically work?

It would be a way to get the ball rolling.  However, if these intruders are to be actual threats, all the player has to do in this scenario is not uncover the tracks, and they avoid the fight.

It would be a way to get the ball rolling.  However, if these intruders are to be actual threats, all the player has to do in this scenario is not uncover the tracks, and they avoid the fight.

The intruders would show up regardless. The tracks would simply lead you to their "base" if you followed them to their conclusion

Not really. These 'hound mounds' could be added just like Lureplants and the monsters they would generate would attack just like hounds do. You don't need them to travel from one place to another on the map. Timed events. Just like that.

The intruders would show up regardless. The tracks would simply lead you to their "base" if you followed them to their conclusion

Yes, I guess I was assuming the base fight was harder than the hunters themselves, so maybe the player would rather deal with them from the comfort of the above ground base, rather than go fight them on their turf.  Guess it just depends on the nature of these mobs.

Not really. These 'hound mounds' could be added just like Lureplants and the monsters they would generate would attack just like hounds do. You don't need them to travel from one place to another on the map. Timed events. Just like that.

If they work just like lureplants, that means they only ever show up where the player travels.  I think a major part of Pwn's idea, and the way I'd like to see it, is that they kind of make the player travel outside their normal environs.  Whether that be caves or just remote areas of the map.  I'd like the 'base' to become more and more difficult the longer the player ignores it.  

Otherwise, if they're just another type of hound attack...well...eh.

Archived