Liquid pipes makes game unplayable

ZnSstr
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

I am cycle 350 and 15 dupes, a lot of things are happening and I kinda have some long pipes too but I think it shouldn't matter.

Every time a dupe finishing a liquit pipe games complete freezes for few seconds, if there are a lot of work in queue it will lag even more. I restricted paths and I kinda swept most of the debris because I thought the lag is about that. Its like you are reiterating all the existing pipes on the map and add a new one, hope you are not using only one giant list for all the pipes in the world.

Also I have 8 gb ram and it eats like 40%, isn't that too much? As I mentioned the game runs good until I build liquid pipes, and I have a ton of gas vents and it doesn't lag at all.

I don't wanna restart a new world, the game is looooong as it is and I don't wanna build pipes with the debugger, please look into it for a future fix if someone has this trouble too.

Maybe is something specific to my world or my specs. CPU is strong, I am not worrying about that but GPU is weak, so I am not sure where the calculations are done for the liquid pipes.

Thank you!

Edit: some typos

Steps to Reproduce
Perfomance dropped with time but is only about liquid pipes.

User Feedback

It normal. Engine recalculate paths for flow and temporaly shut down simulation. While pipe net simple, pause very short (not in pipe overlay). If network big and complex, pause more long and almost undepend on computer spec (engine itself slow for massive calculation).

Share this comment

1. "my cpu is strong" is no valid value. 

2. 8GB is a bit low for ONI. It can eat up to 12 GB.

Do you play the most recent version of ONI?

Share this comment

Maybe is something specific to my world or my specs. CPU is strong, I am not worrying about that but GPU is weak, so I am not sure where the calculations are done for the liquid pipes.

When you complain about a specific issue in your game, it would be a good idea to include savegame and logfile. "Strong CPU" is a useless claim because there are so many details to CPUs other than just Cinebench score or whatever you normally use to compare. I once encountered a bug (not Klei related), which only triggered if the CPU had more than a certain number of cores. When you report a bug, include as much as possible because sometimes even useless info can be important.

the game runs good until I build liquid pipes, and I have a ton of gas vents and it doesn't lag at all.

That makes very little sense because gas and liquid pipes share the same code. This means building identical liquid and gas pipes should use the same CPU power. Since you claim this isn't the case, you really should include both savegame and logfile because it looks like something weird is going on in your end.

Ok, maybe you can find somewhere where gas and liquid pipes don't use the same code, but all I have seen so far while modding, they have been sharing code.

Edited by Nightinggale

Share this comment

I also posted about this issue before.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/oni/when-i-make-pipes-lag-make-too-r17686/

Many people said it was normal, but I keep that.

It's not just path calculation.
The animations of the pipe contents flow are also initialized.
(This can be easily confirmed by stopping the game while playing the animation then using debug mode to build a new pipe.)

And maybe the flow of unseen programs is also initialized.
(ex. playing sound command, data processing)

There are many Dupes.
And their role is not just move to next pipe.
Nevertheless, restricting the path with door does not make to such a lag.

I'm sure there's something in the program that concentrates the processings.

Share this comment

nice co23.sav

I added the current save. My first time reporting a bug like this not really familiar with the process.

I did something to try improving the thing:

1. PC restart (solved most of the part)

2. I did clean up the mess laying around, it wasn't that much.

3. I changed most of the priorities keeping dupes with small tasks.

4. I changed and blocked some of the useless paths I don't really care.

5. Stairs with gaps I think are not good since its adding paths instead of calculating only one, not sure but I tried removing gaps anyways.

Now this save is the most recent and everything is now a giant pipe because I was like **** it I don't really need more from now on, I will do a steam rocket since gas vents are not lagging.

The lag was before the whole bottom part even existed (pipes wise).

The game flow was like:

1. I built the oxygen generation from that vent near, then the showers.

2. I discovered the other two steam vents and I added that long pipe to bring all the water in one spot (reservoirs).

3. I built that thing in base for a future farm (not connected with the rest)

4. I started to build the cooling water around that entropy machine and from there it started to lag, then I connected with the farms.

5. I started to clean all the mess and paths etc didn't helped much.

6. Built the bottom part in a very painful way, I just went cooking some food while they did the pipes.

7. I don't even know why I continue this world, its kinda a ****ty generation if you ask me but I am first time close to going into space so I am just gonna push it, colony is very stable. 

Also I am not one of the best players, I do things on spot without really looking for tutorials or blueprints so efficiency is not gonna at its best in that save file or even in the future, I like learning by mistakes.

In my opinion gas vents are much more heavier than liquid pipes for the processing power in my save file.

Game still freezes in this save for 1 second or two when a pipe is built, it lags only when the dupe finishing the build/repair, at least is not that bad now since I am building one or two for small changes.

As for specs:

GPU is garbage like straight up.

CPU have enough cores for this, its only the liquid pipe causing lag, in rest is smooth all the time and this is the first time causing heavy lag.

rams don't stay more than 60% I would have understood if it was 90% or something.

And yea is the most recent version and I am not in any branch

If the file is not ok let me know, but I think I got the right last save.

Thank you for your time guys :)

• Like 1

Share this comment

okay, i tried your save, and yes its terrible. Every time a pipe segment is build, there is 2-3 second freeze. Thats not normal at all. I checked your pipe network, and besides the fact, that looping through is not the best solution in terms of supporting all receivers, i wont find anything that causes the game fo freeze that hard... 

I play ONI a lot, and my pipe network is usually 10 to 20 times the size of yours, with absolutely no problem whatsoever. 

Do you run into this every time, or is this your first time playing ONI?

I think Klei should take a look at this save. There is something really wrong with it. And i can assure you, thats not how it should work 

Share this comment