Progress reset - compendium wiped (Switch)

Kizzm0
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Fixed

Hi

There is a serious issue on the Nintendo Switch version and i dont know how this was missed during testing?

Played two runs yesterday for ~4 hours. Unlocked a character, cards , perks, Mettle, flourishes. You name it.

Saved the game and closed it. Started the game this morning and the compendium is wiped. When i start a new game perks are gone, mettles are gone. Everything'ish is gone.

Im saying ish because unlocked cards actually pops up in the new run. Game thinks its your first playthrough again since it asks for tutorials. Run history can see my previous runs. When i start a new game it gives me pop ups with all the perks points i earned in previous runs (kill a boss/ do x amount of dmg /earn x amount of money) etc. 

I have reinstalled the game. I have Hard rebooted My switch and tried a new run. Saved, restarted the game and the problem still exists..

System version: 12.0.2

Game version: 1.0.0

Steps to Reproduce

Exit the game - start the game.

• Like 6

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

Hey hey. I just wanted to +1 this as well because I've run into the same issue.

The basics of what happens comes down to:

• Progress is set to 0% on the character select screen
  • No matter how many times I've unlocked the second character, it remains locked and I have to reach that point again if I even want a chance of selecting them again
  • Instantly when logging into a new game, all the achievement points pop up. I then have to quit, go back and start ANOTHER run in order to use those points but they get reset every time the game boots anyways
  • Like everyone else, I can see my fully history of runs
  • Like 3

Share this comment

I went to the 3rd character (currently in the middle of Smith's story, game turned off) and it didn't happen but the question is, can it happen anytime ? And as we dont know the exact trigger, we can't know, at least unless someone comes and tell us if they lost their progress much later.

Share this comment

I raised this issue as well. But I guess it was still under review. Regardless, there's a +1 from me.

Share this comment

Hi everyone,

I'm investigating this issue at the moment and have some questions:

1. Has this been an issue since your first re-launch of the game?
  2. How many active runs did you have when you began seeing the issue?
  3. Since you started seeing this issue:
    1. do new runs persist through a re-launch?
    2. do newly finished/abandoned runs persist in your run history?
    3. do changes to options persist through a re-launch?
Edited by skyjeremy
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Gotta +1 this as well as it both happens to me and my brother, and it is a shame to see it happening as I just finished my first run today and no progress was saved :c

I hope I can help @skyjeremy

1. I recall this happening from day 1, as said before have I done 1 full run (to completion) that I started the 4th of June as the game came out and finished today the 7th of June, and EVERY TIME I rebooted the game did I get the tutorials and perk points. I also noticed on the next day that the 2nd character I had unlocked wasn't unlocked anymore.

2. Only one run (Sal), since this have been happening both on my first run and on a brawl run I tried afterwards (funny thing is that is says now that I have a brawl run going on, but brawl mode is locked :P)

3.1. Yes they do! I have always been able to continue my current run even if everything have been wiped.

3.2. Yes, like anyone else have said, I also have a finished run in the history, with an odd date (01/04/70) and a time there didn't match my real playtime (~25 min), I don't remember how much I played it today to finish it, felt more than 25 min though. (like a 1 to 1½ hour session)

3.3. Tried it just now since I never changed anything in the options. Tried to set "Confirm End Turn" to Disabled, apply, and quit the game by using the home button and then close the game with the X button, then re-enter the game. And no, the "Confirm End Turn" is now Enabled again, so it didn't save.

I hope this gives some insights, otherwise please ask more and I will try to keep an eye on this forum if I can help. Love the game but would rather wait to this thing is fixed before I play it more :)

Also, The way I close the game is as described in 3.3., I haven't tried to do it in any other way and the bug happens consistently every time this way!
EDIT: Just noticed something, usually when closing a game as described above, then does a small popup come, or some sort of freeze because the application is saving the data, but with Griftlands does it just close instantly, no delay or popup... so honestly do I think that is the core problem, data isn't saved when closing the game with the home button.

Edited by DoD1992
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

5 hours ago, skyjeremy said:

Hi everyone,

(1.) Yes. 

(2.) let's see if I remember: I only had 1 active run, on day 3 or 4. Closed the game, then when I went to play again it didn't show "Continue current run" in main menu, so I went to character selection and noticed that the characters I unlocked on previous runs were locked and all progress reset to 0%.

(3.) Then I choose the first character, which was the one I had an active run, and from there I was given the option to continue, I went on and finished the run. I got a few achievements shown as unlocked though I had already unlocked them before and my character progress went up to 22% but this time the second character didn't get unlocked. 

Closed the game, no new run made, went back in, progress gone to 0% again. Then I quit, didn't want to waste more time without knowing If I can recover all this progress or not. 

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

17 hours ago, skyjeremy said:

Hi everyone,

Hi - same issue experienced here.  Bought Sunday and was able to continue when I woke my switch from sleep on the Monday. Today I had to reboot the switch for an update and I am getting exactly the same as outlined in previous posts. I can jump back into my existing Smith game (though not via the 'continue' option on the main screen). However my Sal progress is 0% and Rook is greyed out. Run history shows my two completed runs both with dates of 1/22/70

• Yes
    • One active, two completed
      • Yes, but only from the character select screen. Not the main screen
      • Yes, with incorrect dates
      • No - 'Confirm End Turn' option reverted back to enabled.
Edited by Ftz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 6/7/2021 at 9:24 AM, skyjeremy said:

Hi everyone,

+1 here. Just happened to me this morning. Throwing in my details.

1. No, I've relaunched the game multiple times since the last patch that went out. This did occur after a re-launch though.
  2. Only 1 Active run - on a "ng+" Level 2 prestige run on Sal that I started immediately after completing the story for the first time.
  3. Since this issue:
    1. The new run appeared to persist but I didn't play it long enough and abandoned the run.
    2. Yes, the abandoned run shows up.
    3. Doesn't seem like it. The end turn option was not disabled, which was my preference.

Here's also a new wrinkle - my internet went out last night so my save didn't get uploaded to the cloud this morning. I manually redownloaded last night's save and the issue was already present. (Unfortunately!) I do remember during the last few encounters in my story ending run that it was already not remembering the end turn option and the pop up saying it saved my preference kept happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 6/7/2021 at 1:24 PM, skyjeremy said:

Hi everyone,

1. Yep! I essentially streamed it on launch day, picked up and played and then when the game closed because I played something else - that's when I went back and got confused because I KNEW that I had unlocked the second character but it wasn't there.

2. I have completed (failed) 1, and had 1 going.

3. And for these;

1.  New runs seems to persist, yes.
  2. All runs seem to stay in my history, I believe.
  3.  Haven't changed any myself.

Another this is that the choices regarding "this is your first fight" or "this is your first negotiation" don't persist and it asks me to do it every time.

• Like 1

Share this comment

Might not be related, but I am trying out different things and try to note what happens, and this thing is a little strange.

So my usual way to see if the game saves or not, is to go into settings and switch "Confirm End Turn" to disabled.

This time however, I also decided to reduce the audio and apply the changes (to something like 70).

Closed the app and started it again, I expected everything would be back to default BUT the "Confirm End Turn" was still disabled, but the sound was defaulted to 100.

Then I tried again, but this time reducing my audio first (taking a few more options down to 70), apply save, then move to Gameplay settings and set "Confirm End Turn" to enabled, apply save, then disabled, apply save, close app and reopen.
Now is "Confirm End Turn" defaulted but the audio is still at 70 for the options that I changed.

So this is very strange, only the last change isn't saved... but everything else is?
Would this make sense that a run is saved but persistent data isn't? :/ since a run will probably be saved first before anything else... might try to run more tests (my experience as a QA is paying off xD)

Share this comment

Hello, is there any update on this? Everyone who spent hard-earned money purchasing this game on the Nintendo Switch has essentially been unable to play this game. Is Klei going to issue refunds or game codes for us to redeem this title on Steam or other platforms in the meantime so we can play? It is extremely concerning that a bug this bad got into the game. What does the testing process look like before a release on a major platform? Does it not involve exiting the game and re-loading it to ensure basic functions like saving are working?

- Disappointed 

• Like 2

Share this comment

I am having the same issue. My switch reset to apply an update, and now my progress has been reset.

A couple things I noticed:

It said I had a run in progress, but the option to continue wasn't on the main screen like before. It was in Sal's menu.

The daily run is greyed out.

All 6 of my runs say that they are from January of 1970.

I was hoping that I could play this game, but I guess I will have to wait for a patch :wilson_cry:.

Share this comment

6 hours ago, yolo21 said:

Hello, is there any update on this? Everyone who spent hard-earned money purchasing this game on the Nintendo Switch has essentially been unable to play this game. Is Klei going to issue refunds or game codes for us to redeem this title on Steam or other platforms in the meantime so we can play? It is extremely concerning that a bug this bad got into the game. What does the testing process look like before a release on a major platform? Does it not involve exiting the game and re-loading it to ensure basic functions like saving are working?

- Disappointed 

I tried asking for a refund from Nintendo which sent me to Klei because they havent heard of this bug. Klei also said no and that i should try asking Playstation for a refund instead ( i told them that i bought a copy there because the switch version obviously is broken)... thats a really bad solution for your customer Klei.

Edited by Kizzm0
Spelling
  • Like 2

Share this comment

Also having the issue described here. 
Compendium resets and all unlocks are gone (characters, mettle prestige points, etc). When I start a new game with Sal, only option I have despite previously unlocking the other characters, it cycles though my unlocks at the top of the screen but doesn't actually register them anywhere?

Another profile on the same switch doesn't seem to be having the issues. The problem profile isn't the profile that bought the game on the Nintendo store, the problem exists on an account on the 'Primary Switch' of the account that purchased the game.

Issues has appeared each time opening the app on that account since launch.

Share this comment

-Has this been an issue since your first re-launch of the game?

Yes.

-How many active runs did you have when you began seeing the issue?

Just the one.

-do new runs persist through a re-launch?

I have not started any new runs.

-do newly finished/abandoned runs persist in your run history?

Well, that's the odd thing. I died once during a run on day 2, and restarted from the beginning of that day. While I didn't think it was strange to see an entry for a failed run, the run states that I died on day 1.

-do changes to options persist through a re-launch?

I checked, they do not. That's why I think the system data is kept in active memory but never saved to a save file.

I have not played the game since, since I deem it pointless. Once you have fixed it I intend to wipe my save data and start completely from scratch.

While I'm not angry per se, I find it curious that such a simple to find yet game breaking issue was never found during testing.

Edited by Dengar

Share this comment

Whoops, originally posted this on a different thread:

Can confirm, same as everyone else. I had maybe 2-3 runs before this happened, and was able to try the second character, save perks, etc. Since then, nothing has saved including the "end turn without prompt" setting. I won a game from the 'fresh file' but still nothing transfers. I tried turning on cloud saves, but that has not helped either.

Share this comment

There hasn't been any response from Klei in any of these threads in over 48 hours. This is really getting ridiculous and even somewhat criminal. Please remove this title from the Nintendo Switch eShop and issue refunds. I am sick of waiting for any kind of communication from Klei on this outrageous bug. This entire experience has left an awful taste in my mouth and I will be certain to avoid any and all Klei games in the future.

For those wishing to play a good deckbuilder roguelike, I recommend Slay the Spire. It does not have the insulting issues that this game does, and has a developer that doesn't just ignore its playerbase when they've spent money on a non-functioning game.

• Like 2

Share this comment

Part of me is torn between, game developers are people too.... And 48 hours is not a long time for a small company with a huge release. Work life balance should be for all sectors and I can imagine there was some crunch to get it released.

Nevertheless, this is basically an unplayable game on the Switch. Something needs to be done. Whether Nintendo removes from the game store for the time being. Or the game gets patched ASAP I can't say.

Part of me thinks digital game refunds as a process needs to be changed from ground up. Players shouldn't be stuck with shitty laggy games they were misled into purchasing. Make it law that digital games have to have refunds available 100% of the time. Give it a deadline, 1-2 weeks, I think you would see the buggy unplayable day 1, week 1 being released just plummet. 

Developers knowing players can get a refund no questions asked for up to two weeks after release would have them rethink rushing buggy games.

Share this comment

I see I am not alone on this. My progress just got wiped within those 4 hours of closing and starting the game. Kind of blows since I already put roughly 20 hours into the game and had just gotten my first clear on all characters. Hopefully they can sort this out

Share this comment

2 hours ago, Sirhugs said:

Part of me is torn between, game developers are people too.... And 48 hours is not a long time for a small company with a huge release. Work life balance should be for all sectors and I can imagine there was some crunch to get it released.

Nevertheless, this is basically an unplayable game on the Switch. Something needs to be done. Whether Nintendo removes from the game store for the time being. Or the game gets patched ASAP I can't say.

Part of me thinks digital game refunds as a process needs to be changed from ground up. Players shouldn't be stuck with shitty laggy games they were misled into purchasing. Make it law that digital games have to have refunds available 100% of the time. Give it a deadline, 1-2 weeks, I think you would see the buggy unplayable day 1, week 1 being released just plummet. 

Developers knowing players can get a refund no questions asked for up to two weeks after release would have them rethink rushing buggy games.

I think I can agree with this at least. I don't think being mean and toxic to the devs is going to help anyone. Not yourself, not the devs, and not other people who just want to see the game in a playable state.

But yeah, I do agree that making refunds more accessible might actually incentivize some minimal amount of testing so you know your game actually works.

Share this comment

I'm not sure if the "toxic" comments were directed at me, but I fail to see how asking for a status update or a refund or literally ANY FORM OF COMMUNICATION about what is being done about this is being "mean and toxic to the devs". Klei has released an unplayable game and has robbed hundreds if not thousands of Switch owners out of money and is now leaving us out here to dry without any followup.

My posts are not meant to offend or cause harm but rather to bring attention to this MASSIVE issue that shouldn't have ever happened.

Share this comment

Changed Status to Fixed

Hey everyone, thank you for the reports, and apologies if this happened to you. This issue seems to be caused when the game attempts to save your profile (total player progress, not an individual save) and the new profile data is smaller than the existing profile. Just wanted to confirm that this is a Switch specific issue and our porting partners have managed to reproduce and fix this issue. It will be coming in a future patch that we are in the process of getting approved by Nintendo to release.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Health 1

Share this comment

16 minutes ago, Corey said:

Changed Status to Fixed

Hey everyone, thank you for the reports, and apologies if this happened to you. This issue seems to be caused when the game attempts to save your profile (total player progress, not an individual save) and the new profile data is smaller than the existing profile. Just wanted to confirm that this is a Switch specific issue and our porting partners have managed to reproduce and fix this issue. It will be coming in a future patch that we are in the process of getting approved by Nintendo to release.

Very nice <3

Do we know any specific date the patch will go live? Would be nice to know if we have to wait a week or more.

Share this comment

9 minutes ago, DoD1992 said:

Very nice <3

Do we know any specific date the patch will go live? Would be nice to know if we have to wait a week or more.

This

Share this comment