Not starting on Ubuntu Linux anymore after update 378704

SQNoname
  • Pending

Steam version does not start anymore since updating to version 378704 today, Nov. 08.

Trying to start dontstarve or dontstarve_steam binary from the command line returns following error:

./dontstarve_steam: error while loading shared libraries: libcurl-gnutls.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

libcurl-gnutls.so.4 is existing and in the path.

Running on Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (64 bit), AMD Ryzen 5 1600X, NVidia GTX1050Ti.

Steps to Reproduce
Try to start Don't Starve Together from Steam library.
  • Sad 1

User Feedback

Did you confirm you have the _32bit_ version of libcurl-gnutls.so.4 as well as the 64bit version you get by default?

Share this comment

No, indeed there seems to be only the 64bit version. I don't know if the 32bit version was ever present, but as far as I can see it has not been removed by any recent updates.

Share this comment

As DST is currently only available as a 32bit application on linux, it wouldn't have run before without the 32bit library. If you look at the dedicated server installation instructions you should be able to find details on how to get the 32bit libraries you need, which should resolve your problem.

Share this comment

Have installed libcurl4-gnutls-dev:i386 as suggested in the dedicated server guide, ran ldconfig, rebooted, but game still doesn't start.

Share this comment

Same error? I'd do an `strace -efile -f -o dst.trace` to see what paths it's looking in for each library and what it's finding.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

So, I've only had steam for about 5 days, have don't starve together, it worked, then stopped (same issue as here). Take what I did next with a grain of salt. 

1.  Wanted the older version of the game (before auto-update) - so I went here: https://steamdb.info/depot/322332/manifests/
  2. I then followed this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=889624474 
    1. basically - I ran (from the terminal) - steam -console
    2. It starts up steam - but with a console tab (become admin to access it)
    3. Then from that console command line I did: download_depot 322330 322332 4273667276580057553
      1. This is the version of the game from October 31st
    4. It takes a long time, but eventually downloads to: ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steamapps/content/app_322330/depot_322332/
    5. Then you go to the steam games directory: cd ~/.steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together
    6. And move all of those files to somewhere.
    7. Then copy the downloaded files to this directory.  cp ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steamapps/content/app_322330/depot_322332/* ~/.steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together
    8. Then, I go to steam, library, right click on the app, and mark to "don't update until I start the app", and I turn off networking so it won't be able to update when I start the app.
    9. and it works again

So yeah, it broke with the new builds, but the October 31st build works.  

I don't know steam or this app very well, so while I "think" what I did was safe, correct me if it seems wrong - hope this helps someone else.  

Share this comment

Did you install all 3 libraries mentioned in the dedicated server message? It didn't launch for me on a clean Ubuntu 64. but after I installed those 3 libs it did. It's strange - as far as I can tell nothing changed in the linking of the Linux build since last May.

Is a client_log.txt generated at all when you run?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

In my case, I didn't install those libraries (either before when it worked, or after when it didn't).  And I didn't install them again now when it works (first I've heard of a dedicated server guide, I'll look it up).  I can say - when I started the game after the update, I'd get the screen opening, but black screen for about 3-5 seconds, then it would close and I'd find a core dump.  

After I copied the old version back into the game directory, it works again. So - the dedicated server libraries might be a red herring (maybe). 

steam_log.txt

Edited by esogasimmons
too long, will pull log ihto an attachment

Share this comment

Ok, so in my case I already had the first two libraries mentioned in the dedicated server guide, so I only installed libcurl4-gnutls-dev:i386. Trace tells me that it eventually finds it too.

Anyway, I just discovered that disconnecting my gamepad fixes the issue and the game starts correctly. Seems to be the same issue reported here for MacOS.

I am using a Logitech F510, so fairly standard. Would be really disappointing if that wouldn't work anymore.

Also, it seems I didn't have to install libcurl4-gnutls-dev:i386 at all. I just removed it again and it starts as well. The bug seems to be with the controller changes.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

6 hours ago, SQNoname said:

Anyway, I just discovered that disconnecting my gamepad fixes the issue and the game starts correctly. Seems to be the same issue reported here for MacOS.

Thanks so much for finding this! Unlike linking, that is something we've changed. :) I'm sure @bizziboi will be thrilled to have a nice specific target now, this one was really bugging him!

Unfortunately, because DS was not originally written to be a network game, the dedicated server for DST is written as "DST minus some pieces" rather than "Just the pieces it needs", but hopefully the controller support is something @bizziboi can just disable on dedi builds since there's no particular reason a dedi would need controller support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

@SQNonameyikes, thanks for catching that and providing the info.

That is strange, to the best of my knowledge all joystick changes should only have affected the OSX version, so I'm gonna have to look into this.

I'm a dash confused though, we're talking about the game, correct? The dedi part of the discussion was just because it explained what the dependencies were?

@SQNoname Could I perhaps ask you to plug in said controller, start the game, and attach the client_log.txt from after the crash?

(and I may need change some stuff in the next build to add some logging, and ask the same favor again to truly analyze the issue before I'll be able to fix it proper)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

@bizziboi You're correct, I am just talking about the game, not the dedicated server, that just came up because of the dependencies, which apparently is not the issue after all.

Attached is another client_log.txt with the controller connected, but the one I posted in the initial report was also with the controller connected already.

Thanks so much for your support, guys.

client_log.txt

Share this comment

Thanks, I indeed have to look into it, while the net result is similar to the OSX issue it's definitely an entirely different crash, which does puzzle me as I was pretty confident the Linux version had no changes with regard to joypads - but it seems I must have overlooked *something*.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

I don't know that helps, but the crash of the game creates a coredump file on my PC at /var/lib/systemd/coredump. It is a bit larger than 100 MBs (thus I can't upload it here).

Share this comment

I believe I'm having the same issue. Game worked until a few days ago. Works if my xbox controller _isn't_ plugged in and doesn't fully start (black box, sometimes a brief loading screen) if the controller _is_plugged in. I've attached my client_log.txt for when the controller is plugged in and not fully starting. 

client_log.txt

Share this comment

I'll happily take the core dump. @bizziboi will probably want to look at the client_log. I'll check with him on Tuesday (Monday is Remembrance Day) if we have a mechanism for accepting big crashes, and if not I'll figure something out.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Just bought the game and hit this. Please test releases on all platforms before rolling them out. I'm not asking for a full end to end run of the whole game, but at least make sure it opens.

Share this comment