Cooling the machines

1 minute ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Igneous is useful and plentiful.. still, it is useful.  I tend to prioritize sedimentary before igneous.

That said, coal is hardly ever a problem in any of my bases, even when I'm running multiple coal generators.

ya I tend to use sedimentary first too but switch to igneous later as I always have more than I'll ever need

3 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Depends on where your air source is coming from.

I'm using algae deoxydizers for the main base.  I do have a electrolyzer set up but I'm using that to pump O2 to the exo suits.  So the air source is right inside the main base.... but I have one in my bedroom level and one on the research room which is just outside the insulated area.  So I guess that is producing heated O2?

5 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

this is why I always ranch stone hatches early on, you can convert igneous rock to coal at a 50% ratio and get a fair amount of egg shells early on that can be saved for lime

Abyssalite is now use as an ingredient in the molecular forge for making insulation which is the best insulator in the game

I'm ranching all the hatches I can.  How do I get igneous rock to coal?  What are you talking about regarding lime?  I think I have the molecular forge so might experiment with that.

Just now, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm using algae deoxydizers for the main base. 

Deoxydizers do produce some heat. You can counter it by planting a wheezewart next to each deoxydizer.

1 minute ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm ranching all the hatches I can.  How do I get igneous rock to coal?  What are you talking about regarding lime?  I think I have the molecular forge so might experiment with that.

Use feeders and chose only igneous (or sedimentary) as the 'food.'  Your hatches will do the rest.  As for lime.. you can use the rock granulator to crush eggshells into lime -- lime is a necessary component of steel.

The molecular forge is for things like viscous gel and the new "Insulation."

Just now, GoHereDoThis said:

feed igneous rock to the stone hatches, if you don't have stone hatches feed the normal ones sedimentary rock and that will encourage them to lay stone eggs

Have you explored space yet? one of the ingredients for insulation can only be acquired though space missions

4 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm using algae deoxydizers for the main base.

switch to algae terrariums, they are more effective than algae diffusers (formally know as deoxydizers)

Thanks for the help!  You guys rock!!  (get it?!) :D

I may move my deoxydizers about a bit and get more cool O2 generation.  Any tips for a good stable setup?  I may re-do mine.

I'm not exploring up yet, just starting now.  Another great big slime biome above then a small cold biome after, so getting some ideas here.  I may use this area to generate cool liquids to use in cooling my base.  Do the cold biomes ever run out of "cold"?  Or are they cold no matter how much heat I pump through it?  For example, if I were to make my polymer press right inside a cold biome, will it eventually warm up and make the cold biome disappear?

2 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Do the cold biomes ever run out of "cold"?

No, they only start out as cold.  All biomes will attempt to equalize their temps with the surrounding biomes 

24 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Any tips for a good stable setup?  I may re-do mine.

This is a screenshot of my current survival stables, all 16x6 rooms that are easy to stack and can be used for both dreckos and hatches

I do my best to spam as much decor as I can because ranching is a tier 4 job and it's easier to manage their stress with high decor than high quality food

20181202131608_1.thumb.jpg.5ea8e65e903969ce5453600dd36a5d22.jpg20181202131623_1.thumb.jpg.722ba6e4a1888bc37aabd76a9e5a1a58.jpg

2 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I've dug down to the oil biome but the ambient temp down there is very hot, 74C-80C, so I didn't want to build there. 

easy build for the metal refinery, oil refinery and polymer press sitting just above the oil biome.

1 hour ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks for the help!  You guys rock!!  (get it?!) :D

I may move my deoxydizers about a bit and get more cool O2 generation.  Any tips for a good stable setup?  I may re-do mine.

A good over-all setup or a stable supply of oxygen?  All you really have to do is make sure you're producing around 100g/s per dupe and you're fine.  In my current base, I'm using terrariums instead of deoxydizers or electroolyzers.  Though you'll definitely want electrolyzers later in the game for the hydrogen.

3 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Any tips for a good stable setup?

@GoHereDoThis As Neotuck says, terrariums are the way to go. Be aware you need to provide a way to deal with the pH2O bottles (they can simply be sieved as long as the water isn't allowed to sit stagnant, since they don't have germs by default). I've found that one bottle emptier per every two dupes helps substantially in keeping the bottled water down. Of course, alternatively you can allow it to offgas (which it will do at an alarming rate in bottles) as an additional source of oxygen. This can cut the number of terrariums by half or more (depending on setup). Controlling pressure is important with terrariums as they can and will over-pressurize an area.

Also, lighting them is definitely worth the 10W of power. The efficiency is upped by 10%.

I typically build my stables vertically, 12x8 or 16x6. My current build uses 16x6 since it fit better with my base.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.454bb5912fcbfb189fa0bf3e6f2cf151.png

The reason I like to orient them vertically is because I find that it really increases the efficiency of the ranchers. Though it makes no difference where dreckos are concerned. With hatches, which are ground critters, setting up the ranch this way means the rancher has to wait less time for a hatch to arrive at the grooming station... sometimes significantly less.

The big obvious pipe *used* to run through the wall and floor of my older 12x8 ranch, but I found that with minimal effort I could switch to 16x6 and fit two ranches without taking up much more horizontal space.

1 minute ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I thought terrariums weren't worth it due to using up water as well as algae?

That's a common assumption

truth is they are effective able to use less algae and don't need power

also in combination with deodorizers you can turn the PW bottles into more O2 as they off-gas

They don't use a lot of water, but they save a lot of algae and power. If you recycle the pH2O, you get most of that water back. You end up spending about 10g/s of water and 30g/s algae for 44g/s of O2 (assuming they are lit)... this conversion rate of water to oxygen is even better than electrolyzers.

2 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I see!  It is better in terms of algae-to-O2 output... I used this before when I started playing but would quickly run out of water so I avoided it afterwards.

They used to consume water but not give back polluted water.

5 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

I see!  It is better in terms of algae-to-O2 output... I used this before when I started playing but would quickly run out of water so I avoided it afterwards.

it's also a good way to manage CO2 levels building up at the bottom of your base

@GoHereDoThisNah, diffuser/deoxydizer uses 550g algae per 500g O2, as opposed to the terrarium's 30g algae per 40g O2. Conserving algae is the main reason for using the terrariums (assuming you can support the water cost.) Getting lavatories up and running asap and including a short bathroom break during the work day should provide the water needed to sustain the terrariums indefinitely. Each flush produces 6.7 Kg of pH20 (with a single bathroom break), which in terrariums equates to 29Kg O2 per day, while the dupe consumes about 60Kg O2 per day. Two bathroom breaks makes this nearly break-even and you can get essentially free oxygen while barely touching your algae supply.

If you off-gas, you get (assuming complete offgassing) 7.46Kg o2 with one bathroom break, and twice that with two... however, the algae ratio is more favorable... so which you use depends mostly on which resource is more limited.

@Neotuck His, but I thought your screenshot was his setup for some stupid reason. Don't mind me, i'm sick. Either way, if he thinks they have light, and they are putting out 40g/s instead of 44g/s, it's either a bug or (more likely) the light is too far away or blocked.

Also, while I have your attention, do you have any idea about the average off-gassing rate? Since it produces more pH2O than can initially off-gas, I'd assume it hits a point of equilibrium where off-gassed mass = mass of pH2O produced per time. Like, how much polluted water needs to be sitting on the ground for a single terrarium before this equilibrium point is reached? Or how many cycles? (Just a rough estimate would be nice if you can provide one)

Archived