Cooling the machines

2 minutes ago, impyre said:

Also, while I have your attention, do you have any idea about the average off-gassing rate? Since it produces more pH2O than can initially off-gas, I'd assume it hits a point of equilibrium where off-gassed mass = mass of pH2O produced per time. Like, how much polluted water needs to be sitting on the ground for a single terrarium before this equilibrium point is reached? Or how many cycles? (Just a rough estimate would be nice if you can provide one)

they seem to emit more PO2 the more PW they have

all the bottles I have been collecting under my terrariums are over 3000kg and they emit PO2 between 80g/s to 150g/s (about 115g/s average)

I don't know what the real rates are, I can only give a rough estimate based on experience 

28 minutes ago, impyre said:

@Neotuck His, but I thought your screenshot was his setup for some stupid reason. Don't mind me, i'm sick. Either way, if he thinks they have light,

That would be Neotuck's as I've not built terrariums in my base for a long while.

Do you guys bother with algae deoxydizers at all?  Or just build terrariums?  I can deal with the polluted O2, I have a "well" that I dump the polluted O2 in and save it for later and I do like putting deodorizers everywhere.

I used to, but since farming really probably should be the first thing you research within the first couple of cycles, there's really no point. I do use them occasionally combined with manual generators and small batteries to create pockets of O2 when I'm exploring in the early-to-mid game before I get atmo suits in place. I typically use the deoxydizers in those situations because they require less dupe maintenance... no hauling water and polluted water all over the map. 

EDIT: I also tend to let my oxylite get used up before enabling the terrariums. I pre-build and pre-fill them then just turn them off until they're needed (to save water until I get water recycling up).

3 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Do you guys bother with algae deoxydizers at all?  Or just build terrariums?  I can deal with the polluted O2, I have a "well" that I dump the polluted O2 in and save it for later and I do like putting deodorizers everywhere.

I build a diffuser that I use for the first 50 cycles, then deconstruct it after I build my O2 farm of terrariums near the bottom of my base

1 minute ago, impyre said:

I used to, but since farming really probably should be the first thing you research within the first couple of cycles, there's really no point. I do use them occasionally combined with manual generators and small batteries to create pockets of O2 when I'm exploring in the early-to-mid game before I get atmo suits in place. I typically use the deoxydizers in those situations because they require less dupe maintenance... no hauling water and polluted water all over the map.

I'm not sure I'm folling you there, especially your first sentence.... as for deodorizers, I like using it in the slime biome I just cleared out.  That section has more O2 than my base!

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

I build a diffuser that I use for the first 50 cycles, then deconstruct it after I build my O2 farm of terrariums near the bottom of my base

Any chance of a screenshot of your O2 farm?

I do suspect that the terrariums destroy CO2.... I just placed 5 with a lightbulb above them and it's done an amazing job with the CO2, so there must be a typo on the description page.

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

cycle 230 and still have 20 tons of algae from my starting biome

Thanks!  Why the need for the trapdoor system?  What does the automation do?

1 minute ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks!  Why the need for the trapdoor system?  What does the automation do?

when the doors open it turns off the terrariums, If I don't do this the O2 in my base can over pressure causing pooped eardrums, by automating I save on algae and water

the atmo sensor is set to 2000g and the filter is set to 200s

here's a zoomed out screenshot of my current base

20181202181543_1.thumb.jpg.1b73528916bbe9f82aa4a594e5a4507b.jpg

Just now, GoHereDoThis said:

I'm guessing you're playing with the QoL updae already?  Those are a LOT of hatches! :)

Ya I always beta test the preview and send bug reports to help out the devs

I always rush for 3 hatch farms as soon as possible, and 1 drecko stable  

I don't see a typo.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.7b6762bde273592cb962dc16745b0f11.png

image.thumb.png.4eb4b03e00061ea29e835041fd0ead0e.png

The only weirdness is that ONI shows absolute values in the main window instead of relative values. It shows 333.3mg/s of CO2, but it expects you to know from the tooltips that the CO2 is being consumed (when present). The tooltips also imply that CO2 is not needed to produce O2.

RE: not following my first sentence. I meant that once upon a time I used to use deoxydizers in the early-game; however, since I always research farming first, and unlock the terrariums before my oxylite runs out, I just go straight to that and skip the deoxydizers altogether (except in special cases as I mentioned above)

EDIT: I do somewhat agree though, that using relative values (-100g/s for something being consumed or destroyed, and 100g/s for something being produced) might help make it more clear. Although there's always the chance that someone will think, "oh, it consumes -100g/s, i guess that means it produces 100g/s" since produce/consume mean the opposite anyway. They'd have to change the wording and it could get even more weird. You'd need to say something like, "Produces -100g/s sand", etc. which could be even more confusing. I don't know. I'd rather leave it than change it, simply because that seems easier lol.

The typo is there --- it should be -333.3mg/s.  From the way it's written now, it looksl like it'll produce CO2 and not delete it, just as it shows that it produces 40g/s of O2.

I do research farming second, right after jobs, so I guess terrariums will be on my list again!

Neotuck, why 3 farms and why 1 drecko farm?  What are the dreckos for?

@GoHereDoThis Just guessing honestly, but I'd say probably earlier on for reed fiber (you don't use a *lot* of it, so even a small stockpile can last a while) while transitioning to glossy dreckos for low-heat, petrol-free plastics. Bonus of meat and eggs.

EDIT: though honestly probably mostly the plastic... since you can usually salvage plenty of reed fiber to get a couple of atmo suits, and after that getting it is pretty trivial... it's laying all over the place.

8 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Neotuck, why 3 farms and why 1 drecko farm?  What are the dreckos for?

@impyre guessed right about the dreckos

coal is my primary fuel for mid game until I can get a proper oil boiler for NG

early game I don't use much coal so I stockpile as much as I can from the hatch farms

"oil boiler for NG"?

Another tangent question -- I want to automate a pump for my crude oil supply and I have a power shutoff switch but when I tie it to my liquid pipe thermo sensor, I can't seem to get the thermo sensor to work.

I have a similar setup for my electrolyzer but it turns the system off when there is no water in the incoming pipe.  I want the oil supply stup to turn the system on when there is no oil in the incoming pipe.  Ideas?

1 minute ago, GoHereDoThis said:

"oil boiler for NG"?

Another tangent question -- I want to automate a pump for my crude oil supply and I have a power shutoff switch but when I tie it to my liquid pipe thermo sensor, I can't seem to get the thermo sensor to work.

I have a similar setup for my electrolyzer but it turns the system off when there is no water in the incoming pipe.  I want the oil supply stup to turn the system on when there is no oil in the incoming pipe.  Ideas?

why not just leave the pump running? they auto shutoff when pipes are full

@GoHereDoThis I got ninja'd, but he's right. The only reason to use automation is to prevent partial packets being sent... which happens a lot if you run full pipes. I have a pipe element sensor and a buffer so that my pump fills up the pipe to a point then stops. The bigger the batch you pump at a time, the better your efficiency.

Archived