Severe FPS drop in Hamlet

For some reason, I've been having a lot of problems with trying to run a Hamlet world. My framerate is almost never above 20-25 FPS, whereas I can get pretty comfortably close to 60 at all times in vanilla/ROG and in Shipwrecked. But as soon as I'm in an area like a town where there's a lot of stuff, I get stuttering and worse. 

I'm running an old multicore AMD CPU, which is probably part of the issue. (AMD A8-3800 at 2.4 GHz)    When I check task manager, it says it's only using 25% of CPU, which suggests to me it's not multithreading.

Any plans for either dramatically optimizing Hamlet or a way to force multithreading in DS? I found a launch option for DST along those lines ("-threaded_render") but plugging it into DS didn't change anything.

Thanks in advance for any support/suggestions I get.

People who always inevitably respond in this sort of topic with "just buy a new computer" are getting fed to a mant colony, without weapons and drenched in steak sauce.

AMD FX 8350

R9 390

16gb ram

Having this same issue. 20-25 FPS seems to be the exact number I am eternally stuck at as well. Any threads I've seen discussing the matter haven't had a dev response about the issue so it's hard to say. There is a mod on Steam that removes some of the effects like certain shadows and claims to be a performance boost for Hamlet(because this is a big issue for many people) but I am not sure if it's updated yet.  When I get a chance to play again I'm going to experiment with turning circles of grass to none or small if that's an option because I suspect those are partly to blame.

7 hours ago, zabest00 said:

I had the same issue. I uninstalled and then installed the game and it works fine now.

I really do appreciate that you found something that worked for you and that you took the time to share it. It didn't work for me (I suspect, again, it's a multithreading issue) but I still think it was nice you shared.

16 hours ago, Midnight Tea said:

People who always inevitably respond in this sort of topic with "just buy a new computer" are getting fed to a mant colony, without weapons and drenched in steak sauce.

My fps drops to 30-40 with i7-6700HQ / GTX 970M / 16GB DDR4, so I'm not sure if buying a new computer would be a solution. 

Just now, atagunz said:

My fps drops to 30-40 with i7-6700HQ / GTX 970M / 16GB DDR4, so I'm not sure if buying a new computer would be a solution. 

That's actually kind of a relief that it could really just be a quirk in the coding and possibly something Klei can iron out before the Aporkalypse. So thank you for that. :)

10 hours ago, Midnight Tea said:

That isn't helpful. Unless you intend to give me your computer.

I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands.

I wanted to give my feedback, wasn't tryin' to flex or anything :D as u can see there's guy with (i5-7500, gtx 1060 6gb, 16gb ram, win10) and he still lags so i'm still not sure but i can assume it's not a cpu problem. that's 1 step towards solving the problem for us and for devs aswell.

i'm sorry that you saw me providing my side of data as not helpful or as some kind of opportunity to beg for free parts falling out of the sky instead earning them by hard work but i think that's your problem, not mine - not giving u anything more than what i already did so kindly - my game data. 

9 minutes ago, Beardizzard said:

i'm sorry that you saw me providing my side of data as not helpful or as some kind of opportunity to beg for free parts falling out of the sky instead earning them by hard work but i think that's your problem, not mine - not giving u anything more than what i already did so kindly - my game data. 

Translation: "My upper-middle class parents are going through a divorce and I get a lot of guilt money from my dad."

Look, honey, the grown-ups here are having actual technical problems you have no earthly idea how to solve so could you kindly go play somewhere else? 

7 minutes ago, Midnight Tea said:

Translation: "My upper-middle class parents are going through a divorce and I get a lot of guilt money from my dad."

Look, honey, the grown-ups here are having actual technical problems you have no earthly idea how to solve so could you kindly go play somewhere else? 

i'm 30 y.o. software developer and i bought my PC with my money but i guess that doesn't matter for you aswell as my intention didn't mattered when i shared my gameplay experience because you just love to "assume" and misinterpret everything others say into what fits you out of thin air don't you?! eeh, it's sad. i'm done with this BS. GL solving in fps problems anyways, since hamlet is such an amazing game, everyone deserves to play it.

2 minutes ago, Beardizzard said:

GL solving in fps problems anyways, since hamlet is such an amazing game, everyone deserves to play it.

Thanks. Sorry, I did read what you said as passive aggressive so I responded in kind. If it's just a misunderstanding than I apologize.

I'm a huge fan of Klei so I have no doubt this'll get resolved in due time. As has been pointed out, it's not just us with older rigs having some issues. I can't wait to play either :)

• Developer

Hi @Midnight Tea

I'm sorry performance was so bad on your system. We will definitely be looking at it. I suspect part of it is actually a side effect of it in being early access, part of it being that Hamlet is more demanding than the other DLCs.

Could you for reference tell me the specs of your system?

@zintii

Could you do me a favor and send me a profile of your game?

In order to do with that, when you have a bad performing world loaded, open the console (with the '~' key) and enter 

GetProfile()

..followed by enter.

After a few seconds it should tell you a profile has been saved.

If you could upload the file profile.json and log.txt from your game's documents directory that would help me analyze the issue.

For information on where to find those 2 files, check here:

Thanks!

20 hours ago, bizziboi said:

Hi @Midnight Tea

I'm sorry performance was so bad on your system. We will definitely be looking at it. I suspect part of it is actually a side effect of it in being early access, part of it being that Hamlet is more demanding than the other DLCs.

Could you for reference tell me the specs of your system?

Most certainly, thank you for getting back to me. Part of it, I'm sure, is that I'm using an AMD processor that is multicore because when I run task manager and check usage it's only using 25% at most of my CPU. 

AMD A8-3800 APU, 4 cores running at ~2.4 GHz

16384 MB RAM

Radeon RX 560  4095 MB graphics card

I really do look forward to eventually playing Hamlet.

Archived