Why does my rocket tear up my automation layer?

So I launch my rocket, and it flies off to do its thing. Ladders in its path are unharmed. Power lines are fine. Bunker doors are fine, so long as I've remembered to open them. Gantries are fine, in the unlikely event that I've remembered to withdraw them.

But the automation layer stuff in its path (specifically, automation cable in the bunker doors) gets torn up every time. What's up with that? I'd swear that wasn't happening on my earlier launches.

One possible answer: My rocket is awfully hot. (The capsule is up over 300C). Is the heat damaging the automation layer?

Yes, they are melting.  The low mass of automation wires means they will melt first, but power lines will do the same eventually if not made from a suitable material.  This becomes even more of an issue once you start playing with the hydrogen engine as it runs VERY HOT!

7 minutes ago, Jumpp said:

Gantries are fine, in the unlikely event that I've remembered to withdraw them.

A small tip use the automation output of the command module followed by a buffer gate set to "60" and a not gate afterwards.

Now you got a safe gantry automation ;)

10 minutes ago, Jumpp said:

Is the heat damaging the automation layer?

If I my information is correct and the hydrogen engine is just a bit above 2000°C close to the engine.

=> Steel/Tungsten automation should always be ok (no problems since I switched my automation to steel)

Ooooh. Okay. We're not talking about the heat of my 300C command module, are we? We're talking about the engine heat, and there's nothing I can do about that except build with steel or tungsten when I need to lay cable in its path?

Archived