Rocket exhaust

Steam&Hydrogen exhaust Steam, Petroleum and Solid exhaust Carbon Dioxide.

At least for Steam the resulting Steam appears to be of the same temperature, i.e I had 110°C.

CO2 is generally hot enough to melt some metals (~1450°C)

Not quite sure about Hydrogen's Steam.

Mass? Steam at least can be as much as 2233kg (launch&landing) if you launch the rocket near the magma biome and build the dry walls as high as possible. I have seen Steam tiles that measure flat 10.0kg.

At least for Steam the resulting Steam appears to be of the same temperature, i.e I had 110°C

I don't agree whit you. I feed 110 degrees steam and after launch have 1000 degrees steam...This was in development build. If is changed please post some printscreen

All engines emit some sort of gas:

• Steam: ["low temperature"+50] steam (probably boiling/condensation point, so 150C and thus 323K)
  • Petrol: 1500K CO2
  • Hydrogen: 2000K steam

All engines additionally heat up a column 3 tiles wide and 10 tiles tall below them by their exhaust temperature divided by distance from the engine. This is hard-capped at 3200K.

For example, 3 tiles directly below the center of hydrogen engine should get +2000K, 3 tiles below them should get +1000K, 3 tiles below those +666K and so on.

Both emission and heat increase are supposed to happen every 200 ms.

I tested takeoff in RU, the difference from depth is not that large. The rocket sits on the launchpad for a while, and it produces most exhaust in this time. Takeoff from bottom of deleted lava biome produced something around 2 tonnes of CO2. Takeoff from the surface made over tonne. If you consider CO2 / space added, building tall launch tubes is nonsense. Temperature was probably around 1500, but rocket itself and other macinery inside stole some of that heat.

In this test I was using sacrificial solar panels to block the gas leakage. I would be interested if someone retested it with newest engines and boosters.

Archived