Power Base extender

The basic idea is to use smart batteries to turn off coal,nat gas,and hydrogen generators to save resources and extend generator run time

eg I used to go through go through 2 loads of coal per day and now I go through one every 2 days.

Il upload an image with overlays soon

50 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

This idea is old, we have been using smart batteries to save fuel for generators since smart batteries were added to the game

And before that we made our own smart batteries, and used doors to disable generators when batteries were full.

2 minutes ago, ZeZesRevenge said:

How?

horizontal mech doors can have other structures like generators built on top of them

they become disabled when the doors open

we then used the doors as part of automating them back before automation inputs where added to generators

21 minutes ago, ZeZesRevenge said:

How?

There was several ways but one of the most common was to have a bank of large batteries behind a transformer and an enclosed small battery with controlled cooling on the generator side. The small battery would only start to fill when the battery bank was completely full due to the transformer. Batteries only produce heat when there's a charge in them so as soon as a temperature change happened in the enclosed room with the small battery that would mean the battery bank was full and we could shut off the generators.

Then we'd have a small battery in an enclosed room on the battery bank side, also temperature controlled, and when a temperature change happened in that room we would know that the small battery is empty and the large batteries would be at 75% full so we could turn on the generators again.

Then we'd make a simple flip flop to change between the two states. And there you go. A smart battery.

The temperature control was typically just running the lavatory loop with constant 40C water in wolframite pipes through the enclosed spaces with the small batteries.

Figuring out how to build such systems and getting them to work was hours and hours of fun. As I always say: ONI used to be a much more fun game. I still enjoy it but it's not nearly as good a game now as it used to be when we had to rely on simple tools to create advanced builds.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

There was several ways but one of the most common was to have a bank of large batteries behind a transformer and an enclosed small battery with controlled cooling on the generator side. The small battery would only start to fill when the battery bank was completely full due to the transformer. Batteries only produce heat when there's a charge in them so as soon as a temperature change happened in the enclosed room with the small battery that would mean the battery bank was full and we could shut off the generators.

Then we'd have a small battery in an enclosed room on the battery bank side, also temperature controlled, and when a temperature change happened in that room we would know that the small battery is empty and the large batteries would be at 75% full so we could turn on the generators again.

Then we'd make a simple flip flop to change between the two states. And there you go. A smart battery.

The temperature control was typically just running the lavatory loop with constant 40C water in wolframite pipes through the enclosed spaces with the small batteries.

Figuring out how to build such systems and getting them to work was hours and hours of fun. As I always say: ONI used to be a much more fun game. I still enjoy it but it's not nearly as good a game now as it used to be when we had to rely on simple tools to create advanced builds.

Same story with the S/R latch basically. 

35 minutes ago, SkunkMaster said:

Same story with the S/R latch basically. 

Well. Sort of. We could, and sometimes did, make flip flops and timers long before automation update came out by using regular sensors and liquid pumps. Those were also quite challenging to get to work but they are super reliable. I still use water clock timers for very long running timers because the game resets filters and buffers on save/reloads so they can't be used for mission critical equipment. And clock sensors only works if the timer needs to be exactly one of cycle of duty cycle.

Archived