95%+ per cycle throughput electrolyzer with only 2 pumps, no doors

13 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

So what you need is a design that requires very few exotic materials, very little refined metal, and definitely no plastic or diamond

Yeah I ignored the full thing as well, except the part that makes 170g/s hydrogen from a single electrolyzer.

You don't need automation as long as you can prevent a hydrogen backup. So, a pre-automation (not even smart battery) oxygen&power solution is quite advantageous don't you think?

I personally have never cooled oxygen religiously, as dupes don't seem to mind 35-40c air that comes naturally. 

The gas separating one works fine even if it backs up. Although it is advisable to make sure that all hydrogen is either used or stored so it doesn't back up causing oxygen supply to stall.

The stacked deign however you need to make sure it either throttles down if oxygen is being backed up or stops completely. Again, the hydrogen also needs be stored of used so the hydrogen doesn't back up at all.

Sorry about the lack of clarity.  I was referring to the stacking design as I wanted to give it a try without any filter.  By throttles down, I assume you mean I need to get both the electrolyzer and the hydrogen pump to stop if the oxygen surpasses let's say 1100 g.  Correct?  I tried just turning-off the electrolyzer but that failed.  

12 hours ago, badimo said:

Sorry about the lack of clarity.  I was referring to the stacking design as I wanted to give it a try without any filter.  By throttles down, I assume you mean I need to get both the electrolyzer and the hydrogen pump to stop if the oxygen surpasses let's say 1100 g.  Correct?  I tried just turning-off the electrolyzer but that failed.  

Are you talking about the OP's design? If you are using the element sensor & shutoff combo you need a bridge after the shutoff to prevent backward flow:

image.png.1dac754d9d2495726db4455152b5e58d.png

An oxygen backup should just slow the system down and will lower the power effectiveness of the system as the electrolyzer hits max gas pressure more often. A hydrogen backup will mean that the shutoff valve no longer works properly, and Hydrogen will escape through the Oxygen outlet.

If you want to force Hydrogen consumption then you would use a Filter gate with the element sensor to prevent the backup by consuming excess:

image.thumb.png.0864938bd33bf0c06c0a32d03852e8fd.png

I like this design and have been using it for about 100 cycles, but it is far from foolproof outside of perfect conditions. Backups and power failure cause cross contamination into both the hydrogen and oxygen lines. I've taken to installing an additional two atmosensors+shutoffs as a backup, but at the end of the day it is still a net gain in terms of power savings and throughput over using a gas filter, whick I may never use again thanks to you. Thanks!

14 minutes ago, ZA_sT3V3 said:

Thanks for your design, I swapped over from the conventional method and now have too much o2 XD

While this 2 pump only design has good performance in O2 production it has a flaw of deleting hydrogen. I think hydrogen is more important. More oxygen can be created in other ways and wasting potential of hydrogen power is bad.

However there is other 2 pump only design (link here), which is not deleting any gases and has some strange feature of changing proportions of produced gases to 137g/s of Hydrogen and 863g/s of Oxygen. If you use it you get a little less oxygen, but more hydrogen, so if you use 2 of those you still should be able to support ~15 dupes and have some more power at your disposal.

Archived