[TUTORIAL] How to use Krane from Ktools

Yakuzashi

Is it helpful ?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Is it helpful ?

• Yes, it helped me to understand topic
    • Nope, I knew everything already

Hello. I have learned how to use Ktools by accident. Maybe I am so bad at everything that I didn't find solution for my issue in main Ktools topic, or whatever. If you have the same problem you probably click "krane.exe" twice and nothing happens. You can use Krane to decompile "anim.zip" into folders with images and .scml file from Spriter.

Tutorial

Part 1.  Extract files from "ktools-4.4.4-win32.zip" to desktop. It should create folder called "ktools-4.4.4", rename it to "ktools". It must look like this after opening.

5b94a9b2c499c_ktoolsfolder.png.83ab9cc2b0002386a3419a657f166368.png

Part 2.  Open path marked with red color (your game directory) and follow up to anim folder. It will be full of .zip files. Let's find an "axe" for instance.

anim.thumb.png.891a4ee92e5626c3d010e9e94b681fc7.png

Then open it ...

5b94aad5a8368_axezip.png.6dda02f608e1b11526324097dc51bd4c.png

...and copy all 3 file types into your "ktools" folder in the desktop.

5b94acf65fc92_ktools2.png.c6033bd275f270487aa906a8f8ca3436.png

Part 3.  Press Windows (key on your keyboard) + R, then type "cmd" (console should pop up)

Type "cd desktop/ktools", press "Enter" key

1.png.8f4253a17e1338e6fa27a16b6f54be6b.png

Type "krane anim.bin build.bin name" [name -> name of folder you want your files to be decompiled into]

2.png.e69772945ee0861539e5b57227041c33.png

After while you will see this

3.png.53ab60315ac940f1f84b08acb6f4f4fa.png

Part 4.  Open "ktools" folder and your "name" folder will be waiting for you. Open it. You will see .scml file and folder. That's it.

I hope someone might find it useful. New community members for instance, without knowledge and experience in all this stuff.

(I can't delete this picture below. Just ignore it.)

ktools 2.png

Edited by Yakuzashi
mistake, buggs ?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You can also create a .bat file that will contain the same line of command, so you don't have to type things everytime. Mine looks like this :

krane anim.bin build.bin output_dir

Note that some files will use the anim.bin of one anim.zip and the build.bin and atlas-0.tex of another. For example, it's the case for rabbits : the anim is in ds_rabbit_basic, the build and tex are in different files depending of the kind of rabbit. If you find a build and texture without anim, or an anim without build and texture, look at the prefab of the file, it will usually contains informations about the assets.

Example with rabbits :

local assets =
{
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/ds_rabbit_basic.zip"),
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/rabbit_build.zip"),
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/beard_monster.zip"),
    Asset("ANIM", "anim/rabbit_winter_build.zip"),
    Asset("SOUND", "sound/rabbit.fsb"),
	Asset("INV_IMAGE", "beard_monster" ),
	Asset("INV_IMAGE", "rabbit_winter" ),
}

If people find this useful, i could add your post to the list of tutorial i made here.

Edited by Lumina
  • GL Happy 1

There is only two files in my zip file (.tex and .bin), the Krane works very well except there is nothing in the "name" folder.  Do you have any idea what might have caused this?

Very helpfull tutorial by the way! 

==============================================================

I see where the problem is: the "anim.bin" file is somewhere else and I need to copy it into ktool folder as well.

Edited by zepto_q

It works, however the scml file has all the model parts in the wrong place, any fix to that?

I tested using my own mod, my scml file in the mod displays properly however when using ktools it turns it into this. I wanted to grab other character mods to use as template but this is what happens to all of them. They get resized and placed wrong.

unknown.png

Edited by asvinh
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 2

On 9/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, asvinh said:

It works, however the scml file has all the model parts in the wrong place, any fix to that?

I tested using my own mod, my scml file in the mod displays properly however when using ktools it turns it into this. I wanted to grab other character mods to use as template but this is what happens to all of them. They get resized and placed wrong.

unknown.png

That also happens to me! Does anyone know why and how to fix it? or is it just a visual bug

2 hours ago, GordoZilla said:

That also happens to me! Does anyone know why and how to fix it? or is it just a visual bug

It isn't just a bug. When a texture is compressed into a TEX file, transparent areas are "clipped" off and stored somehow differently than areas with real data, and it seems krane doesn't handle this well and just ignores the clipped areas, stretching the image out to it's original resolution destructively. I don't know personally how to fix or otherwise bypass this issue sadly.

• Sad 1

On 10/28/2022 at 5:04 AM, Ci_ktdm said:

Hi, I am trying to decompile using ktools.
I get the error shown in the image.

image.thumb.png.87a8ff50a908912bf35e205556dd0189.png

Do you know how to solve this problem?

Bumping this.
Works on my version, but fails here on another person's computer.