Cast iron as alternative to raw metal

Since raw metals are unrenewable how about an alloy that funcions as a raw metal. Cast iron would be an alloy  of iron and carbon but with much more carbon than steel (at least 50-50) and maybe some sulfur as well. It would be used for all raw metal applications and possibly have a higher overheat temperature. It`s meant to be a lategame alternative to raw metals since both iron and coal are renewable (and sulfur as well). It would be forged in the smelter.

Dont think its right way to solve this problem, i mean more logic way is be able build stuff from refined metals as alternative to ore(ore should be alternative to refined metals actually, with double cost in material, assuming that duplicants refined metal from ore "on fly" during actual building), maybe some additional research allowing do so "building low tech stuff from high grade materials".

The concept of building something from ore is weird,  ore - metal oxide usually not good building materials, in early game we can close eyes on this because you dont have metal refinery and need to build basic things, but in late game having actual metals we cant build bunch of devices from logically expected materials...

5 hours ago, camelot said:

I thought we can get more raw metals from asteroids at this moment?

Yes we can.

Though I agree that we want alternatives to ore. Though I think rather than producing raw metals out of refined materials, it makes way way more sense to allow players to allow any buildings currently demanding raw ores, to be built with refined ones. So I agree halfway with D.L.S; I do not think that buildings demanding refined metals should be allowed raw ones as an alternative.

18 hours ago, _midnightrain_ said:

I like that idea... and I would like to see a higher overheat temperature too since it would allow for more fun with hot liquids.

the higher overheat temperature is most likely why we CAN'T build with refined metals already: it would make the game too easy. You don't have to cool down natural gas geysers to access their energy anymore provided you put in a steel gas pump in there.

On the other hand aren't we all just dreaming of being allowed to pump around hot magma?

9 hours ago, Zarylo said:

the higher overheat temperature is most likely why we CAN'T build with refined metals already: it would make the game too easy. You don't have to cool down natural gas geysers to access their energy anymore provided you put in a steel gas pump in there.

On the other hand aren't we all just dreaming of being allowed to pump around hot magma?

After you got your favorite build to cool down your geysers it's not challanging anymore... but I guess you are right, it's most likely for balancing reasons. Nevertheless - just as you said - I'm dreaming of my abysselite pump to toy around with magma...

Archived