Mechanical Filter + Automation = Power saver

So i like mechanical filters, I really do. But what i don't like is that they pass the "filtered" gas if the outlet is backed up. 

I don't really like wasting power where i don't have to, so i figured i might be able to add some automation so i could at least turn of the pump when the line becomes backed.

Now i could add a sensor the the outlet line, but if it has a running supply then the automation would always be triggered, serving no purpose.

So the solution is? Add another mechanical filter, and put the automation on that one. - The design is rather simple and easy to replicate and setup.

20180828010625_1.thumb.jpg.35aaf5bce929de175ba4577d54f1a1b5.jpg

I used screenshot mode here to make it more easy to distinguish where everything goes.

20180828010632_1.thumb.jpg.b4b3ea32a11dd1eec4f96fd2127d5120.jpg

Filter gate is set to 3 seconds, so that the occasional packet doesn't trigger the automation, while still shutting the pump of before any stray oxygen actually makes it past the second mechanical filter.

Check out my pipe blockage sensor used in the packet stacker.

The reverse direction bridges and the element sensor is the blockage sensor. The basic principle is that if you have a pipe bridge that is overflowed then you have a blockage. Then it's just a matter of trapping the overflow in the pipe with the element sensor which is done by the loop pipe bridge. Compact and fail safe with no need for delays or perhaps tricky timings. 

23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Check out my pipe blockage sensor used in the packet stacker.

The reverse direction bridges and the element sensor is the blockage sensor. The basic principle is that if you have a pipe bridge that is overflowed then you have a blockage. Then it's just a matter of trapping the overflow in the pipe with the element sensor which is done by the loop pipe bridge. Compact and fail safe with no need for delays or perhaps tricky timings. 

clever using the overflow to trigger when the packet is full :D

2 hours ago, SkunkMaster said:

So i like mechanical filters, I really do. But what i don't like is that they pass the "filtered" gas if the outlet is backed up. 

I don't really like wasting power where i don't have to, so i figured i might be able to add some automation so i could at least turn of the pump when the line becomes backed.

i don't like wasting power so i use smart batteries almost everywhere, but i don't understand why people love so much mechanical filter, personnally i most of the time have trouble to use all the gas i produce to make energy

25 minutes ago, Flydo said:

i don't like wasting power so i use smart batteries almost everywhere, but i don't understand why people love so much mechanical filter, personnally i most of the time have trouble to use all the gas i produce to make energy

And currently, the shut-off valves don't use power anyway.  They need to be connected to a power source of some kind, but don't actually drain any power from the network.  They've been like this since they were introduced and it hasn't been changed even though they were able to change how mechanized airlocks worked.  (They use to.. always draw power, if I remember right, when they were closed.  The door is considered 'operating' when it's closed.  Now, the only draw power during when the door opens and closes for that split second.)  Perhaps, one day, they might fix the valves, but it's also possible they might just be considered 'working as intended'.  Perhaps they think hooking the valves up to a working power source is enough effort?

24 minutes ago, The Flying Fox said:

And currently, the shut-off valves don't use power anyway.  They need to be connected to a power source of some kind, but don't actually drain any power from the network.  They've been like this since they were introduced and it hasn't been changed even though they were able to change how mechanized airlocks worked.  (They use to.. always draw power, if I remember right, when they were closed.  The door is considered 'operating' when it's closed.  Now, the only draw power during when the door opens and closes for that split second.)  Perhaps, one day, they might fix the valves, but it's also possible they might just be considered 'working as intended'.  Perhaps they think hooking the valves up to a working power source is enough effort?

Maybe they just thought 10w power drain was not worth the effort programming. at least not now.

Archived